Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Botulism from nacho cheese sauce + Being lonely might be keeping you awake at night

C C Offline
What Causes Botulism? Public Concern After California Woman Hospitalized After Eating Nachos
http://www.medicaldaily.com/what-causes-...ter-417723

EXCERPT: [...] According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, a few unlikely sources are linked to botulism every so often. Usually it’s due to improper handling during manufacturing, at the stores or by consumers. Garlic-infused oil, canned cheese sauce, chili peppers, carrot juice and baked potatoes in foil are a few atypical foods that have caused the poisoning. In this case, the cheese sauce used for Kelly’s nachos appears to be the culprit....

Being Lonely Might Be Keeping You Awake At Night
http://www.medicaldaily.com/being-lonely...ght-417738

EXCERPT: [...] Scientists at King's College London studied the sleep habits of 2,200 British twins to determine whether loneliness, defined as distress caused by inadequate social relationships, kept them awake at night. It’s important to note that loneliness isn’t caused by being single or sitting home on a Friday night. You can have a huge squad and still feel lonely, or be socially isolated and be perfectly content. The team found that people who reported being lonely were 24 percent more likely to feel unrested and have trouble concentrating...
Magical Realist Online
I have two types of insomnia. One is the usual type of tossing and turning for an hour. The other is waking at 5 in the morning and being unable to go back to sleep. I may be alone, but I'm far from lonely. Every night when I lie down it's socializing time at Grand Central Station. I joke around and tease and comfort my 3 voices till we all agree its sleepy time and then eventually fall asleep. There is no relief from these brain varmints until I negotiate the terms of my surrender. Deals are struck, compromises are made. Then its off to dreamland, where I am even less alone.
C C Offline
(May 21, 2017 05:59 PM)Magical Realist Wrote: [...] I may be alone, but I'm far from lonely. Every night when I lie down it's socializing time at Grand Central Station. I joke around and tease and comfort my 3 voices till we all agree its sleepy time and then eventually fall asleep. [...]

Almost envious.

Future advert: With our cybernetic implant in your brain, you'll enjoy anytime / anywhere company when faced with long, boring intervals of waiting. Enjoy private conversations and gameplay with a set of characters (or challenging foes!) as distinct and autonomous as those of real life. Select your favorites, with scores of others you can download!
Magical Realist Online
AI experimentation may reveal all the secret algorithms and feedback loops that structure our unconscious psyches. Complexes, disassociated alters, compensative tulpas, archetypal projections, and the whole baroquian demonology of our inner schizophrenic submind will be integrated into a higher functioning virtual consciousness that takes the form of fantasy role play and magickal rituals . Implanted chips may enhance neuroplasticity towards reprogramming and the overall regrowth of new brain tissue to accomodate one's psychic growth. HD superimposed visualization. Realtime OOBE's. Hallucinogenic odysseys. Lucid waking dreams. Hyperrealistic memory activation. New senses. Oneiric cosmogenesis. Perhaps even telepathic or clairesentient expansion into previously sealed off preternatural dimensions. The possibilities will be utterly limitless. And perhaps terrifying as well.

[Image: Hieronymus-Bosch-Painting-7.jpg]
[Image: Hieronymus-Bosch-Painting-7.jpg]

C C Offline
(May 23, 2017 07:01 PM)Magical Realist Wrote: AI experimentation may reveal all the secret algorithms and feedback loops that structure our unconscious psyches. Complexes, disassociated alters, compensative tulpas, archetypal projections, and the whole baroquian demonology of our inner schizophrenic submind will be integrated into a higher functioning virtual consciousness that takes the form of fantasy role play and magickal rituals . Implanted chips may enhance neuroplasticity towards reprogramming and the overall regrowth of new brain tissue to accomodate one's psychic growth. HD superimposed visualization. Realtime OOBE's. Hallucinogenic odysseys. Lucid waking dreams. Hyperrealistic memory activation. New senses. Oneiric cosmogenesis. Perhaps even telepathic or clairesentient expansion into previously sealed off preternatural dimensions. The possibilities will be utterly limitless. And perhaps terrifying as well.

All those classic depictions of human bodies resting on tables or in tubes while wearing VR helmets resembling insect heads (or whole tactile facilitating suits) -- emaciated in appearance due to satisfaction of their addiction setting aside the need for food and exercise. When instead they'll be cohabiting with an artificial occult domain while still walking about in this world. The former's denizens and events granted realism status via their ability to be inter-subjectively present to countless other linked-in supernatural voyeurs; and the array of subtle and not-so-subtle influences granted to those ghostly beings. Alas, what hath thou unleased, mediated reality?
Magical Realist Online
https://www.edge.org/conversation/david_...-the-world

"Coming very soon is going to be augmented reality technology, where you see not only the physical world, but also virtual objects and entities that you perceive in the middle of them. We’ll put on augmented reality glasses and we’ll have augmented entities out there. My face recognition is not so great, but my augmented glasses will tell me, "Ah, that’s John Brockman." A bit of AI inside my augmented reality glasses will recognize people for me.

At that level, artificial intelligence will start to become an extension of my mind. I suspect before long we’re all going to become very reliant on this. I’m already very reliant on my smartphone and my computers. These things are going to become more and more ubiquitous parts of our lives. The mind starts bleeding into the world. So many parts of the world are becoming parts of our mind, and eventually we start moving towards this increasingly digital reality. And this raises the question I started with: How real is all of this?"
==================================================================
Just as I opted out of the cellphone craze, I will also opt out of the virtual glasses craze. I do not want my natural experience of my environment "augmented" with text and indicators that are not given in the appearance of that environment. It would be annoying to me to read superimposed data over my visual field. There is an argument to be made for not knowing too much about your surroundings. Better to rely on only the brain sourced information about your immediate experience---the relevance of which arises from your own personal preferences and emotional states.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Health & longevity: Are "blue zones" real? + Early risers & night owls: who's happier C C 1 113 Oct 9, 2023 08:49 PM
Last Post: Magical Realist
  Article Lonely people’s divergent thoughts may contribute to feeling "alone in crowded room" C C 1 88 Apr 11, 2023 10:35 PM
  Why late-night eating leads to weight gain, diabetes C C 1 124 Oct 24, 2022 09:32 PM
  Women can tell which men want one night stands by looking at them (fitness) C C 0 63 Dec 30, 2021 05:52 PM
Last Post: C C
  Why is this cancer treatment giving people night vision? (superhuman fitness) C C 2 110 Dec 19, 2021 10:54 PM
Last Post: Secular Sanity
  "All the lonely people": Impact of loneliness in old age on life & health expectancy C C 0 70 Jul 6, 2021 11:46 PM
  Dehydration: If sleeping 6 or fewer hours a night? C C 0 258 Nov 8, 2018 02:48 AM
  Melatonin Allows A Good Night's Sleep In A Noisy Environment C C 1 592 Mar 23, 2015 06:45 AM