Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Newest “New York Times” Columnist Has Flip-Flopped on Climate Change

C C Offline
The Newest “New York Times” Columnist Has Flip-Flopped on Climate Change
https://www.theatlantic.com/science/arch...op/524361/

EXCERPT: The newest columnist at The New York Times is Bret Stephens, a 43-year-old Never Trumper and the former editor-in-chief of the The Jerusalem Post. The Times picked him up from The Wall Street Journal, where he helped edit the opinion section. Five years ago, Stephens won the Pulitzer Prize for commentary. [...] After he was hired, some critics labeled Stephens a “climate-science denier.” Stephens rejects this charge, but in fact his views are not even so coherent as to be ruled denial. Instead, without him ever acknowledging it, his opinion on climate change has evolved considerably over time. The only constant is his repeated reassurances to the reader not to worry: It’s the environmentalists who are wrong.

Stephens hasn’t written a column for the Times yet, but he has revealed what presuppositions he brings to the job, leaving behind hundreds of columns at the Journal. On Wednesday, he gave an exceptional interview to Jeff Stein at Vox. [...] Stephens is arguing the following: The meteorological data shows that the world is getting warmer. Anthropogenic carbon emissions are causing that warmth, just as scientists have been warning for decades. But if we keep emitting carbon emissions, or do anything to limit our release of them, well, then, who knows what will happen? This is wishful thinking....

MORE: https://www.theatlantic.com/science/arch...op/524361/

- - - - - - -

Climate Change Is Real – Greg Laden's Blog
http://scienceblogs.com/gregladen/2017/0...e-is-real/

EXCERPT: The New York Times has a history of being a bit iffy on their climate coverage. I’ve been meaning to write a letter to the New York Times I just wrote this letter to the New York Times about their very wrong decision to add a climate science denier to their editorial staff. When they were recently challenged about this idea, the response was, paraphrasing, “millions of people believe this man that climate change is not for real.”

Coming from the New York Times I find that deeply disturbing and overwhelmingly offensive. Anyway, I haven’t written my letter yet, but my friend and colleague Stefan Rahmstorf, climate scientist, did, and he says it is OK to post it. So, here is Stefan’s letter...

MORE: http://scienceblogs.com/gregladen/2017/0...e-is-real/
RainbowUnicorn Offline
inspiration...
"Republican Gravity Theory"

Brilliant !
Yazata Offline
I'm not particularly concerned with the internal politics of the New York Times editorial page. Whatever is written there has very little influence on my thinking. Nor am I interested in what writers for the Atlantic or some hugely opinionated 'blogger' thinks about controversies at the Times. It's very much an inside-the-bubble conversation.

Nor does this thread have anything to do with meteorology. It's just left-politics, in this case about demands that some guy be silenced because his ideas don't always conform with orthodoxy.

Back in the inquisition they hunted "heretics", today they hunt "deniers". Back then they burned them at the stake. Today they just black-list them. I suppose that's progress.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Article Which islands will become uninhabitable 1st due to climate change? + Jaws of Snake C C 3 115 Nov 15, 2023 04:43 AM
Last Post: Zinjanthropos
  Article The terrible paradox of air pollution and climate change C C 0 94 Sep 18, 2023 03:20 PM
Last Post: C C
  Climate change won't stop the Gulf Stream. Here's why. (Sabine Hossenfelder) C C 2 115 Aug 1, 2023 02:19 PM
  An incendiary form of lightning may surge under climate change C C 0 75 Mar 1, 2023 06:30 PM
  A technologically advanced society is choosing to destroy itself (climate change) C C 0 118 Nov 7, 2022 08:52 PM
  UK’s extreme heatwave would have been ‘virtually impossible’ without climate change C C 0 120 Jul 29, 2022 07:33 PM
  Supreme Court cripples the US government's power to fight climate change C C 2 162 Jul 1, 2022 11:23 PM
Last Post: Syne
  La Nina keeps defying climate models + ‘Flash droughts’ are next big climate threat C C 0 97 May 30, 2022 03:18 PM
  Jordan Peterson, climate change, and the many definitions of a scientific model C C 0 91 May 3, 2022 05:54 PM
  Climate Change doomsayers creating mental health issues in kids C C 0 87 Apr 23, 2022 06:29 PM