Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

A girl in the middle of nowhere in a short skirt

confused2 Offline
This is a sort of a UK companion thread to SS's Google Nearly KIlled me.

Background.
Somewhere around 1990 I was employed by a friend as a programmer in the traffic industry. The particular field was the independent monitoring of traffic lights to ensure they did what they were supposed to do.
In England (and Wales) anywhere more than about 400 yards (400 metres) from a house counts as 'the middle of nowhere'.

One of the local authorities we dealt with had an anomalous junction. The junction was in the middle of nowhere at an entirely unremarkeable crossing of two minor roads. As result of the accident rate at the junction the local authority had installed traffic lights at (obviously) considerable expense. After the lights were installed the accident rate at the junction remained high along with claims that the lights were showing green in both directions - which is why we were called in to investigate. Our monitoring equipment was installed by site engineers and after a few months we could see nothing unusual. The junction continued to be an area of unusually frequent collisions, particularly late at night.

So we decided to go and have a look, Apart from desultry street lighting there was absolutely nothing unusual about the junction.

We tried the obvious things of charging at the lights from various directions and checking for conflicts (green lights for two opposing paths) and all looked good. Then we left the car and waited to see what the locals got up to on this junction. Despite (then) licensing laws it is a universally acknowledged truth that pubs in rural areas will usually close when the last drinker leaves. So that's why two blokes were standing by a set of traffic lights in the middle of the night in the middle of nowhere in the summer of 1990.

No traffic but a girl wearing a short skirt walks past. As the gene combination maxes out at 10/10 'things' happen. Not slutty or tarty but just a perfect 10 walking past, feet not quite touching the ground, late at night, in a short skirt in the middle of nowhere.

Let's dwell on the reaction of two randomly selected blokes.
1)Wow.
2)She's taking a bit of a chance.
3)We haven't been watching the traffic lights.
Secular Sanity Offline
(Apr 20, 2017 11:44 PM)confused2 Wrote: This is a sort of a UK companion thread to SS's Google Nearly KIlled me.

Background.
Somewhere around 1990 I was employed by a friend as a programmer in the traffic industry. The particular field was the independent monitoring of traffic lights to ensure they did what they were supposed to do.
In England (and Wales) anywhere more than about 400 yards (400 metres) from a house counts as 'the middle of nowhere'.

One of the local authorities we dealt with had an anomalous junction. The junction was in the middle of nowhere at an entirely unremarkeable crossing of two minor roads. As result of the accident rate at the junction the local authority had installed traffic lights at (obviously) considerable expense. After the lights were installed the accident rate at the junction remained high along with claims that the lights were showing green in both directions - which is why we were called in to investigate. Our monitoring equipment was installed by site engineers and after a few months we could see nothing unusual. The junction continued to be an area of unusually frequent collisions, particularly late at night.

So we decided to go and have a look, Apart from desultry street lighting there was absolutely nothing unusual about the junction.

We tried the obvious things of charging at the lights from various directions and checking for conflicts (green lights for two opposing paths) and all looked good. Then we left the car and waited to see what the locals got up to on this junction. Despite (then) licensing laws it is a universally acknowledged truth that pubs in rural areas will usually close when the last drinker leaves. So that's why two blokes were standing by a set of traffic lights in the middle of the night in the middle of nowhere in the summer of 1990.

No traffic but a girl wearing a short skirt walks past. As the gene combination maxes out at 10/10 'things' happen. Not slutty or tarty but just a perfect 10 walking past, feet not quite touching the ground, late at night, in a short skirt in the middle of nowhere.

Let's dwell on the reaction of two randomly selected blokes.
1)Wow.
2)She's taking a bit of a chance.
3)We haven't been watching the traffic lights.

You know at the old place, one of them said that I was like a white-tailed deer prancing through a pack of wolves.

In that video that I posted with Trump and Billy Bush, he asked their host, if you had to choose honestly between one of us.  Me or the Donald?  I would have chosen the one that wasn’t so easily distracted and still able to figure out how to open the door on the bus.  

If I was Billy Bush, I'd ask Melania Trump if she needed any help redecorating Trump’s private living quarters.   You know, maybe take her out furniture shopping.  Wink

I enjoy backpacking and exploring.  I’ll try to share a few of my encounters when I have more time. Lions, tigers, bears, and men, oh my!
Zinjanthropos Offline
These days guys are too busy having their driving distracted by gazing at their cell phones to look up and be mesmerized by a great looking gal wearing a miniskirt. Ah, the good old days. Cool
Secular Sanity Offline
(Apr 21, 2017 01:24 PM)Zinjanthropos Wrote: These days guys are too busy having their driving distracted by gazing at their cell phones to look up and be mesmerized by a great looking gal wearing a miniskirt. Ah, the good old days. Cool

Maybe you’re on to something, Zinmann.  Not so much with a distraction created by hand held devices but maybe a deterrence.

Sexual violence has fallen by more than half since 1993, but it’s not just sexual violence.  The overall crime rate has declined and the reason is still a mystery.  There’s plenty of theories out there but no real consensus among scholars.  

I thought that Jonathan Klick's and his coauthors, John MacDonald's and Thomas Stratmann's link was stronger than all the others.  They suggested that that the introduction and growth of mobile phone technology may have contributed to the crime decline in the 1990s, specifically in the areas of rape and assault.

Mobile Phones and Crime Deterrence: An Underappreciated Link

So, Stryder's advice may have been way better than Syne's "Go ahead, make my day" spiel.

(Apr 2, 2017 12:10 AM)stryder Wrote: The only thing I can suggest if you ever end up in that situation again is to at least make it look like your talking to someone on a phone (You don't have to have a signal), while being in an isolated location means anything can happen, there is still the chance that if any would be attack thinks there is the remotest of risks, they might not take that risk.
Zinjanthropos Offline
(Apr 21, 2017 05:45 PM)Secular Sanity Wrote:
(Apr 21, 2017 01:24 PM)Zinjanthropos Wrote: These days guys are too busy having their driving distracted by gazing at their cell phones to look up and be mesmerized by a great looking gal wearing a miniskirt. Ah, the good old days. Cool

Maybe you’re on to something, Zinmann.  Not so much with a distraction created by hand held devices but maybe a deterrence.

Back then a common response to the question of how good a woman looked was "she could stop traffic" or "cause an accident". Hell, some girls I know took it as a compliment. Probably unacceptable today, dictated by the prevailing societal mood I guess.

Just showing my age.
Secular Sanity Offline
(Apr 21, 2017 07:26 PM)Zinjanthropos Wrote: Back then a common response to the question of how good a woman looked was "she could stop traffic" or "cause an accident". Hell, some girls I know took it as a compliment. Probably unacceptable today, dictated by the prevailing societal mood I guess.

Just showing my age.

I don't think that is unacceptable.  Lots of women have already said that there’s a difference between catcalls and compliments.  Catcalls tend to make women feel unsafe.  Just think about the two guys at the gas station.  Syne said that they may have just been trying to judge my openness, but what’s the appropriate response to, "Hey, gorgeous."?  Am I supposed to just say, "Oh, hey."?

If he would have said something like, "Wow, you’re really gorgeous." I could have said, "Thanks!", and got back into my car.  It’s not as uncomfortable in a crowed area because you can just pretend that you didn’t know the comment was directed towards you, but I was the only other person there.  My only option was to ignore it and act as though I didn’t hear it.
confused2 Offline
I started the thread with the intention of delving into the thing that lurks in the black hearts of ordinary blokes that causes them to think "That's risky" when they see a pretty girl in a short skirt in the middle of nowhere. The point that we hadn't been watching the traffic lights as she went past was an accidental bonus - it has taken me almost 27 years to put together the presence of the girl and the high accident rate in the area - rather too late to gain praise and honours by filing a report suggesting the possible cause of the accidents.

Before reading stuff by the hateful shrew I hadn't even thought about what the girl might have been thinking. Two blokes hanging about in the middle of nowhere at around midnight. She could take a fair and correct guess that we wouldn't be watching traffic lights while she walked past. Post hateful shrew and now substantially older and more experienced at dealing with people I would probably have called out "Good evening.". Obviously any signal from the well-intentioned can be hijacked by the ill-intentioned but "Good evening." would have given her something to go on - a tone of voice and many other things (a small courtesy even) rather than wondering if the two guys were planning to bundle her into the boot of the car and never see daylight again. <- I worked on that for effect, it wasn't one of my spontaneous thoughts.
Secular Sanity Offline
(Apr 22, 2017 12:12 AM)confused2 Wrote: I worked on that for effect, it wasn't one of my spontaneous thoughts.

Nice!  Big Grin

Years ago, I think was nineteen or twenty at the time, I was getting car sick on the road to Hana.  So, I took some Dramamine.  When I arrived at pools in ʻOheʻo Gulch, a man there said that I should jump in.  I told him that I was a little car sick.  He said that he didn’t do it on his first trip, and he really regretted it because he thought he’d be back in no time, but ten years had passed.  I took his advice and dove in.  He told me that there was a back way out that was a little straighter, but isolated.  I fell asleep in the car due to the Dramamine.  I was still wet and in my bikini when the guy that I was with woke me up.  We were approaching a large dump truck loaded with Maui Wowie with two men driving and about 4-5 men riding on top of it with guns.  They asked us if we wanted some.  We said no, thanks, and then one of them yelled, "California girl. Get 'em." They turned around and started chasing us. Luckily, we were driving a rental car, which we probably destroyed during our great escape.  It was a dirt road and not well maintained.  I was screaming that they were catching us.  He was yelling at me to shut the hell up or you’re going to get raped.  I screamed back, "What in the hell do you think they’re going to do to you?  They might fill all my holes but they’re going to fill you with bullet holes." He sped up and we got away.  Friggin scary, though.

I explore a lot, and out of all of my adventures, I’ve encountered bears, snakes, coyotes, you name it, but men are by far the creepiest.   All of the other creatures run away or give you obvious warning signs.  Did you know that bears pop their jaws?  That’s something that I didn’t know.  I was hiking and couldn’t figure out what the sound was until I turned the corner and saw one huffing and popping her jaws.  It sounded like someone clacking two river rocks together.  

There was a homeless man near here, held up in this remote canyon, killing people for quite some time. The FBI finally got involved and he was eventually shot and killed.  His mother told the authorities that he was only killing those who he saw as a threat.  She was an alcoholic and his step dad was abusive.  While their house was under surveillance, she came outside and was calling his name.  Her husband came out, grabbed her by the hair, and beat the shit out of her.  They couldn’t jeopardize their cover and had to just watch the whole thing.  

Well, I had been wanting to explore the area. I thought it would be safe now that he was dead and harvest season was over.  On the way in, this old man, who was standing by his gate, stopped me.  He said that he was having a few people out for a barbecue and thought that I was one of them.  I said, "Nope, sorry. I’m just heading down to that old logging camp to take a few photos." On the way back up, he and three other younger men were heading down towards the camp and stopped me again.  They were coming down to see if I wanted to join them.  They were celebrating their harvest and had plenty of food.  Yeah, right.  All of them had to pile into the truck and head down for a little welcoming party.  No, thank you, but I was thinking (OH, HELL, NO!).  I was so glad that I had left that camp when I did. 

Thus far, all my precarious incidences with men have revolved around marijuana.  I absolutely love to explore.  Hopefully, things will change now that it’s legal.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Road Rage or hate crime? Undocumented immigrant kills Muslim girl C C 2 507 Jun 22, 2017 07:06 PM
Last Post: Zinjanthropos
  Batman dies after short / brave leukemia battle + Alphabet sale speeds up singularity C C 2 364 Jun 20, 2017 10:40 PM
Last Post: RainbowUnicorn
  A girl in the middle of nowhere in a short skirt confused2 0 266 Apr 20, 2017 11:37 PM
Last Post: confused2