Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Browser fashion: Firefox 52.0 released

C C Offline
EXCERPT: Mozilla Firefox 52.0 Stable was released on March 7, 2017 to the public through the web browser's automatic update functionality, and on Mozilla's website. [...] The new version of Firefox is a major release for several reasons. First, it is the first release that does away with NPAPI plugin support. Second, it marks the beginning of a new Firefox Extended Support Release (ESR) cycle.

Mozilla updates all Firefox channels on the same day when a new major stable version is released. This means that Firefox Beta is updated to Beta 53.0, Firefox Aurora to Aurora 54.0, and Firefox Nightly to Nightly 55.0. Additionally, Firefox ESR 52.0 is available (and so is Firefox ESR 45.8).

Executive Summary

(1) Firefox 52.0 is the new stable version of the web browser.
(2) The new version does not support NPAPI plugins anymore, apart from Adobe Flash. So, no Silverlight, Java, Google Hangouts and other plugin support anymore.
(3) Firefox ESR 52.0 is the new Extended Support Release version. You may enable NPAPI plugin support in it.
(4) Windows XP and Vista users are automatically migrated to Firefox 52.0 ESR during update. Firefox 53.0 won't run on XP or Vista machines anymore.

MORE AT: https://www.ghacks.net/2017/03/07/firefo...at-is-new/

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/52...easenotes/
Syne Offline
I'm still running 39.0.3. Every time I've updated there's been too many changes to a browser that once allowed me to easily customize it to my liking. I end up having to add a half dozen addons to make up for the native loss of customization. That tends to defeat any performance gains.
C C Offline
(Mar 8, 2017 06:56 AM)Syne Wrote: I'm still running 39.0.3. Every time I've updated there's been too many changes to a browser that once allowed me to easily customize it to my liking. I end up having to add a half dozen addons to make up for the native loss of customization. That tends to defeat any performance gains.

I wish the whole lot would go back to the days of only providing a new release over the course of several months or even years. This trend toward speedier issuing of new features was nice in the beginning, but now that the browsers have well-matured in that area, it has become annoying more than anything else.
Syne Offline
Yeah, I don't need my web browsing experience upset on a regular schedule.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Church of Woke has released its new lists of forbidden words (fashions in profanity) C C 0 130 Jun 24, 2021 04:03 AM
Last Post: C C
  5 Fashion Guidelines Meghan Markle Has To Follow (royal fashion / style policing) C C 1 570 Jun 9, 2018 10:25 PM
Last Post: Syne
  Upcycled Clothing: No longer on the fringes of fashion, but now fashion forward C C 0 711 Apr 10, 2016 07:32 PM
Last Post: C C