Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

The real war on science + Economists versus the economy

C C Offline
The Real War on Science
http://www.city-journal.org/html/real-wa...14782.html

EXCERPT: My liberal friends sometimes ask me why I don’t devote more of my science journalism to the sins of the Right. It’s fine to expose pseudoscience on the left, they say, but why aren’t you an equal-opportunity debunker? Why not write about conservatives’ threat to science?

My friends don’t like my answer: because there isn’t much to write about. Conservatives just don’t have that much impact on science. I know that sounds strange to Democrats who decry Republican creationists and call themselves the “party of science.” But I’ve done my homework. I’ve read the Left’s indictments, including Chris Mooney’s bestseller, The Republican War on Science. I finished it with the same question about this war that I had at the outset: Where are the casualties?

Where are the scientists who lost their jobs or their funding? What vital research has been corrupted or suppressed? What scientific debate has been silenced? Yes, the book reveals that Republican creationists exist, but they don’t affect the biologists or anthropologists studying evolution. Yes, George W. Bush refused federal funding for embryonic stem-cell research, but that hardly put a stop to it (and not much changed after Barack Obama reversed the policy). Mooney rails at scientists and politicians who oppose government policies favored by progressives like himself, but if you’re looking for serious damage to the enterprise of science, he offers only three examples.

All three are in his first chapter, during Mooney’s brief acknowledgment that leftists “here and there” have been guilty of “science abuse.” First, there’s the Left’s opposition to genetically modified foods, which stifled research into what could have been a second Green Revolution to feed Africa. Second, there’s the campaign by animal-rights activists against medical researchers, whose work has already been hampered and would be devastated if the activists succeeded in banning animal experimentation. Third, there’s the resistance in academia to studying the genetic underpinnings of human behavior, which has cut off many social scientists from the recent revolutions in genetics and neuroscience. Each of these abuses is far more significant than anything done by conservatives, and there are plenty of others. The only successful war on science is the one waged by the Left.

The danger from the Left does not arise from stupidity or dishonesty; those failings are bipartisan. Some surveys show that Republicans, particularly libertarians, are more scientifically literate than Democrats, but there’s plenty of ignorance all around. Both sides cherry-pick research and misrepresent evidence to support their agendas. Whoever’s in power, the White House plays politics in appointing advisory commissions and editing the executive summaries of their reports. Scientists of all ideologies exaggerate the importance of their own research and seek results that will bring them more attention and funding.

But two huge threats to science are peculiar to the Left—and they’re getting worse....

Economists versus the Economy
https://www.project-syndicate.org/commen...ky-2016-12

EXCERPT: [...] This takes us back to John Stuart Mill, the great nineteenth-century economist and philosopher, who believed that nobody can be a good economist if he or she is just an economist. To be sure, most academic disciplines have become highly specialized since Mill’s day; and, since the collapse of theology, no field of study has aimed to understand the human condition as a whole. But no branch of human inquiry has cut itself off from the whole – and from the other social sciences – more than economics.

This is not because of its subject matter. On the contrary, the business of earning a living still fills the greater part of our lives and thoughts. Economics – how markets works, why they sometimes break down, how to estimate the costs of a project properly – ought to be of interest to most people. In fact, the field repels all but connoisseurs of fanciful formal models.

This is not because economics prizes logical argument, which is an essential check on faulty reasoning. The real trouble is that it is cut off from the common understanding of how things work, or should work. Economists claim to make precise what is vague, and are convinced that economics is superior to all other disciplines, because the objectivity of money enables it to measure historical forces exactly, rather than approximately.

Not surprisingly, economists’ favored image of the economy is that of a machine....
Magical Realist Online
The Real War on Science
http://www.city-journal.org/html/real-wa...14782.html

He makes some good points. But we should still be wary of the conservative acrimony towards science manifest in weak science education in private schools, climate change denialism, and opposition to stem cell therapies. There is widespread sentiment among the rightwingers of scientists and academia being a conspiracy of some liberal cabal or new world order. A clear anti-intellectualism and egalitarianism that undermines the value of university education and the authority of established research because it allegedly seeks to stamp out religion and nationalism and individualism and all the other ism's that feed their otherwise dull and uneventful little lives.
Syne Offline
How does denial of climate change hurt science? Do the crackpots denying General Relativity or flat-earthers hurt science? "Denialism" isn't a scientific term, it's a term of competing isms, like heretic, meant only to shut down what should be open scientific debate. And where science doesn't feel the least little bit threatened by anti-GR or flat-earthers, somehow climate science doesn't have the same confidence in its own data, to have it stand on its own.

I'm not sure what would support the claim of weak science education, considering:

"More disturbingly, in 2012 a majority of Democrats (51 percent) could not correctly answer both that the Earth goes around the Sun and that this takes a year. Republicans fare a bit better, with only 38 percent failing to get both correct.

But in understanding the gist of evolution, Republicans (76 percent) are insignificantly ahead of Independents (71 percent) and slightly, but significantly ahead of Democrats (68 percent)."
- https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/volo...8340008185

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Climate sensitivity and confirmation bias (Hossenfelder versus Zeke & Andrew) C C 0 68 Mar 5, 2024 05:30 PM
Last Post: C C
  Article EPA uses shoddy science + EBM versus SBM in medical school C C 0 60 May 23, 2023 02:19 PM
  Article Is science really self-correcting? (abstract idealization versus concrete affairs) C C 0 48 Apr 8, 2023 04:06 PM
  The culture war is coming for your genes + Left-wing authoritarianism is real C C 0 52 Oct 2, 2021 11:07 PM
  *Science is apolitical* - A propaganda product of the Cold War? C C 1 642 Jan 3, 2019 09:15 PM
Last Post: Syne
  Few things are as dangerous as economists with physics envy C C 0 249 Feb 12, 2018 08:59 PM
  The 'War On Salt' -- Bad Policy Based on Bad Science? C C 0 412 Jun 6, 2016 06:00 AM