Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Top 10 Universal Projects Every Engineer Dreams Up

C C Offline
http://www.eetimes.com/document.asp?doc_...SS_EET_EDT

EXCERPT: Before engineering projects (DIY or professional) were celebrated on the Internet, before exciting new ideas could go "viral," an engineer could dream—in isolation. Exceptional makers building exceptional projects have always been the norm. But even in isolation, certain universal themes—certain common problems—captured the imagination of engineers everywhere.

In this slideshow, I focus on the problems that every engineer thinks about solving, the projects we've all dreamed of making. Projects like these have often sat on engineers' DIY backburners. Quite honestly, I have never met an engineer that hasn’t mentioned something in this list, so much so that they qualify as cliché projects.

They've even become cliché to the maker scene and DIY crowds, too. Simply type ‘DIY tech projects’ into any search engine and these ten entries can be found everywhere and have populated almost every top ten list produced in the last four years or more. Retro gaming platforms, robots, home automation, security systems, smart appliances are just a few of projects that have been done by the maker community on a mass scale.

Here is the sad part… these cliché projects are now being mass-produced. In other words, some engineer finally got around to realizing, “hey, these are worth selling.”

Make no mistake however, as these projects are still worth building and still have a place in the maker community. In fact, these could be considered a great starting point for those looking to build their first DIY project, as most of the entries don’t require a steep learning curve to master and provide a solid foundation for future endeavors. Flash back 10 or 15 years ago, most of these would be near impossible… now they’re easy builds....
elte Offline
The go-cart was getting close to things that would seem more on the list to me.  Mini car for personal transportation and automatic food cooker are two I would like.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Most unique Airbnb in every US state, from potato in Idaho to tree house in Ohio C C 0 136 Jan 15, 2021 10:12 PM
Last Post: C C
  Top 20 construction projects completing in 2020 (before COVID-19 disrupted) C C 0 173 Apr 26, 2020 09:33 PM
  Elon Musk still dreams of nuking Mars (planetary engineering) C C 1 271 Aug 26, 2019 05:59 AM
Last Post: Yazata
  (update) Look out Elon: here comes NZ engineer Peter Beck's Rocket Lab C C 1 361 May 4, 2019 11:21 PM
  Former Google engineer is developing an AI god C C 1 455 Oct 3, 2017 03:41 AM
Last Post: Magical Realist
  11 Billion-Dollar Mega-Projects That Will Transform World's Greatest Cities by 2035 C C 1 463 Sep 3, 2017 06:11 PM
Last Post: Magical Realist
  Brunel's greatest projects + Beginner Robotics: understanding how simple sensors work C C 0 396 Jan 7, 2017 08:15 AM