Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

The death of Ezekiel Stephan: Quackery and antivaccine views go hand in hand

C C Offline
http://scienceblogs.com/insolence/2016/0...d-in-hand/

EXCERPT: [...] In spite of this horrific failure of parental duty, thanks to the deference courts have towards parental rights and, of course, religion, the Schaibles didn’t lose their surviving children, nor were they sentenced to prison. Instead, the Schaibles were sentenced to ten years’ probation [...] in other words, they promised to be good parents. That meant that four years later, in 2013, they were able to do the same thing again when their seven month old son Brandon Scott became ill in the same way. He, too, died of bacterial pneumonia because his parents chose prayer over antibiotics.

So when I learned of the Stephans’ trial, I wasn’t particularly optimistic that they would be convicted. I realize that Canada is a different country with a different legal system, but I know from past cases that it suffers from the same tendency that the US legal system does to defer to quackery-loving parents. [...] As I read about this case, I noticed something once again that I’ve seen time and time again. David and Collet Stephan are antivaccine as hell. They didn’t vaccinate their children, and, as I mentioned before, David Collet tried to blame his prosecution on a government plot to bring about universal forced vaccination. Unfortunately, antivaccine beliefs very frequently go hand-in-hand with the sort of quackery-filled beliefs held by people like the Stephans....

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Article WHO promotes quackery again + AI use seeps into academic journals C C 1 75 Aug 26, 2023 11:39 PM
Last Post: confused2
  Who is responsible for research fraud? + Science of placebos is fueling quackery C C 0 202 Dec 12, 2022 07:38 PM
Last Post: C C
  QAnon’s adrenochrome quackery C C 0 65 Feb 10, 2022 10:00 PM
  New paper points out flaw in Rubber Hand Illusion: tough questions for psychology. C C 0 158 Apr 12, 2020 02:50 AM
  Jordan Peterson's mysterious stint with medical quackery? C C 0 141 Mar 12, 2020 10:43 PM
  Hoax paper published on how politicians wipe their bums + Harmless quackery kills C C 0 383 Jul 24, 2018 03:13 AM
  The faces of antivaccine parents C C 0 572 Jun 4, 2015 03:03 PM