Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Hoax paper published on how politicians wipe their bums + Harmless quackery kills

C C Offline
I got a hoax paper about how UK politicians wipe their bums published
https://theconversation.com/i-got-a-hoax...shed-99417

EXCERPT: I had what seemed like rather a good idea a few weeks back. Building on some prominent findings in social psychology, I hypothesised that politicians on the right would wipe their bum with their left hand; and that politicians on the left would wipe with their right hand.

Ludicrous? Yes – absolutely. But for once my goal wasn’t to run a bona fide scientific study. Instead, I wanted to see if any “journal” would publish my ass-wiping “findings”.

For those who haven’t yet come across the term, “predatory journals” are becoming a bit of a nuisance in science. They actively masquerade as legitimate mainstream journals, often with similar layouts and names – although they very likely have essentially zero threshold for publication, despite typically claiming to operate with rigorous peer review processes. Most academics will know the irritation of receiving multiple spam emails per day soliciting manuscripts or inviting one to join editorial boards of unfamiliar journals. Much more importantly, though, these predatory journals are undermining the credibility of scientific publishing because the research they publish appears to be largely unvetted.

So partly out of frustration with this situation, but also out of curiosity, I wanted to see just how low the bar for publication might be. This is the story of my “study”....

MORE: https://theconversation.com/i-got-a-hoax...shed-99417

Even harmless quackery kills
https://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/...ery-kills/

EXCERPT: A recent study with almost 2 million subjects evaluated the effectiveness of Complementary Medicine in fighting cancer. CM is that supposedly harmless stuff like yoga and essential oils and homeopathy taken in addition to standard, tested, genuine medicine — stuff that you’d think wouldn’t hurt (although it wouldn’t actually help, either, except maybe in your emotional well-being), except, ooops, it did.
[indent=3]Findings In this cohort study of 1 901 815 patients, use of complementary medicine varied by several factors and was associated with refusal of conventional cancer treatment, and with a 2-fold greater risk of death compared with patients who had no complementary medicine use.

Meaning Patients who received complementary medicine were more likely to refuse other conventional cancer treatment, and had a higher risk of death than no complementary medicine; however, this survival difference could be mediated by adherence to all recommended conventional cancer therapies.[/url]
That last paragraph is important: sure, aromatherapy isn’t going to harm you unless you use it as an excuse to avoid conventional treatments. And, unfortunately, from the statistics it seems that a lot of people were doing that, giving the overall group a 2-fold greater risk of dying....

MORE: https://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/...ery-kills/

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Article WHO promotes quackery again + AI use seeps into academic journals C C 1 90 Aug 26, 2023 11:39 PM
Last Post: confused2
  Who is responsible for research fraud? + Science of placebos is fueling quackery C C 0 203 Dec 12, 2022 07:38 PM
Last Post: C C
  QAnon’s adrenochrome quackery C C 0 73 Feb 10, 2022 10:00 PM
  Parasitic whiteness (privilege): New paper may not be a hoax + Sex in sports C C 1 154 Jun 12, 2021 06:36 PM
Last Post: Syne
  Peter Doshi + Hoax paper + Dog eyes + Aftermath of work built on an error C C 1 223 Jan 17, 2021 01:45 AM
Last Post: Zinjanthropos
  I published a fake paper in a ‘peer-reviewed’ journal C C 1 199 Nov 30, 2020 04:23 AM
Last Post: Zinjanthropos
  Woke hoax: The anonymous professor who wasn’t C C 4 237 Aug 5, 2020 11:21 PM
Last Post: Syne
  Jordan Peterson's mysterious stint with medical quackery? C C 0 150 Mar 12, 2020 10:43 PM
  Patients suffer invasive treatments for harmless cancers (Australia) C C 0 129 Jan 28, 2020 02:10 AM
  'Meat Kills' Study is Rotten to the Bone, But NYT Swallows it Anyhow C C 0 314 Apr 30, 2019 01:49 AM