Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

On killing a human blastocyst

Magical Realist Offline
A human embryo in its earliest stage of development is called a blastocyst. Here's a blastocyst at 5 days as viewed thru a microscope (see below). The recent Alabama decision to afford it the rights of personhood bans the killing of it. An estimated 70% to 75% of human conceptions fail to survive to birth. I wonder. Do they conduct funerals for blastocysts that die or are killed? Do they issue death certificates for them? Why not? Simple..because it is not a person and everyone knows it. Here's Sam Harris' view on this matter:

“A three-day-old human embryo is a collection of 150 cells called a blastocyst. There are, for the sake of comparison, more than 100,000 cells in the brain of a fly. The human embryos that are destroyed in stem-cell research do not have brains, or even neurons. Consequently, there is no reason to believe they can suffer their destruction in any way at all. It is worth remembered, in this context, that when a person's brain has died, we currently deem it acceptable to harvest his organs (provided he has donated them for this purpose) and bury him in the ground. If it is acceptable to treat a person whose brain has died as something less than a human being, it should be acceptable to treat a blastocyst as such. If you are concerned about suffering in this universe, killing a fly should present you with greater moral difficulties than killing a human blastocyst.

Perhaps you think that the crucial difference between a fly and a human blastocyst is to be found in the latter's potential to become a fully developed human being. But almost every cell in your body is a potential human being, given our recent advances in genetic engineering. Every time you scratch your nose, you have committed a Holocaust of potential human beings.”
― Sam Harris, Letter to a Christian Nation

[Image: 84UKEI1.png]
[Image: 84UKEI1.png]

confused2 Offline
In fairness to Christian Nation (and others) a sperm and an egg don't arrive in the right place at the right time purely by accident. Virgin births are unusual, just one according to the Bible?
Magical Realist Offline
Quote:a sperm and an egg don't arrive in the right place at the right time purely by accident.

They don't? Pray tell what invisible force is coordinating their future meeting?
confused2 Offline
MR Wrote:They don't? Pray tell what invisible force is coordinating their future meeting?
Most literature is all, mostly or partly about it - THAT'S what they're on about.
"Can I compare thee to a rose?" subtext 'Can I have sex with you?'.
It is EVERYWHERE in almost EVERYTHING.

At least I think so.

Either one of us is seeing things that aren't there or the other isn't seeing things that are there.

Which do you think it is?
Magical Realist Offline
LOL I have no idea what you're talking about. God? Fate? Luck? I have yet to see any scientific studies confirming the existence of this cellular guiding force. Have you?
Syne Offline
(Apr 3, 2024 05:58 PM)Magical Realist Wrote: A human embryo in its earliest stage of development is called a blastocyst. Here's a blastocyst at 5 days as viewed thru a microscope (see below). The recent Alabama decision to afford it the rights of personhood bans the killing of it. An estimated 70% to 75% of human conceptions fail to survive to birth. I wonder. Do they conduct funerals for blastocysts that die or are killed? Do they issue death certificates for them? Why not? Simple..because it is not a person and everyone knows it. Here's Sam Harris' view on this matter:

I wonder. Do YOU conduct funerals for people you've only known for 5 days?

Just like the proliferation of constitutional carry, the left always seems to be gobsmacked that there's a consequence for advocating everything up to partial birth abortion for decades. The right would be fine with the scientific definition of "human life," but it's the left that chose to equivocate about "personhood." So now you morons reap the consequences of your own nonsense arguments.
Magical Realist Offline
Quote:Do YOU conduct funerals for people you've only known for 5 days?

Doesn't matter how well I know them. Alabama has declared them to be a person deserving of the rights of personhood. So where's the funerals? The obituaries? The mourning? The tiny little microscopic coffins? lol!
Syne Offline
It does matter how long you've known someone before you go through the trouble of conducting a funeral for them. This is true for everyone.

No adult person has the "right" to a funeral, obituary, or mourning. If adults don't, why should a fetus? It's very simple once you pull your head out of the leftist ass.
Magical Realist Offline
Quote:No adult person has the "right" to a funeral, obituary, or mourning.

It's a well nigh universal cultural tradition we participate in to honor persons who have died. The fact that such would be ridiculous for a dead blastocyst is because nobody in their right mind considers them persons despite what some bible-thumping judge in backwoods Alabama proclaimed. Ever hear of a reductio ad absurdum?