Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Article  Owning a pet does not reduce symptoms of severe mental illness, study shows

C C Offline
https://www.eurekalert.org/news-releases/995315

INTRO: Living with and having a close bond with a companion animal does not necessarily lead to significant mental health improvements in people with a serious mental illness, say researchers.

A survey, conducted by the University of York, revealed that living with an animal - a dog, cat, fish or bird for example - did not improve wellbeing or reduce depression, anxiety or feelings of loneliness for owners with serious mental illness, such as bipolar disorder or schizophrenia, compared to those who live without an animal.

The researchers, who followed up on an earlier survey conducted in 2021 on investigating aspects of animal ownership and mental health during COVID-19, say their findings counteract the increasingly held belief that animals boost mental health and wellbeing in all contexts... (MORE - details)
confused2 Offline
Quote:..living with an animal - a dog, cat, fish or bird for example
There's (for example) pit-bull terriers and rottweilers which are expensive to keep - probably not pleasant company in a small apartment without exercise outdoors and expensive to feed. Also a psychopathic pet will lead to actual social isolation. Do people with (for example) bipolar disorder or schizophrenia - choose 'sensible' pets? Could there being a 'choosing the wrong pet disorder', leading to people with the disorder choosing - for example - alligators, large snakes and rottweilers?
Magical Realist Offline
Pets require a huge commitment from their owners, especially dogs. Every day rain or shine I hear people who live in my apts walking their big barking dogs faithfully. It's part of the "making sure they crap" ritual. I wouldn't own a dog unless i lived out in the country. I just think its cruel to limit a dogs life to living in a cooped up apt and a daily crapping session. But I guess its better than being euthanized.
confused2 Offline
Before I was married I lived with a hamster - actually several (one after the other because they don't live very long). Delightful company - you're never alone with a hamster. A house with a hamster in is much happier than one without. (Tips available on request).
confused2 Offline
I can't let this pass without..
When choosing a hamster you (probably) want one that is going to 'interact' rather than just live in a cage in your house. When you go to the place where hamsters come from and they get the hamsters out.. say "Good morning hamsters" (or anything else) - get a hamster that looks up at the sound of your voice - you won't regret it.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Research ASU study shows middle-aged Americans are lonelier than European peers C C 0 28 Mar 19, 2024 07:19 PM
Last Post: C C
  Article World’s largest study shows the more you walk, the lower your risk of death C C 3 111 Aug 10, 2023 04:12 AM
Last Post: Magical Realist
  The new meth and mental illness among the homeless Magical Realist 1 81 Feb 17, 2023 01:09 AM
  AWARE-II Near Death Experience study (mental health during NDE) C C 1 115 Nov 9, 2022 05:46 AM
Last Post: Kornee
  Genetic study confirms sarin nerve gas as cause of Gulf War illness C C 2 114 May 17, 2022 07:24 AM
Last Post: Kornee
  Late Naomi Judd discusses her severe depression Magical Realist 1 88 May 3, 2022 01:31 PM
  Mental disorders aren’t diseases, they’re networks of symptoms C C 2 92 Apr 23, 2022 08:43 PM
Last Post: Syne
  Depression, severe dry eye may be connected + Popular drinks double bowel cancer risk C C 1 100 Mar 15, 2022 06:35 PM
Last Post: Magical Realist
  Mindfulness meditation can reduce guilt, leading to unintended negative social con... C C 0 53 Mar 7, 2022 06:05 AM
  Eating vegetables does not protect against cardiovascular disease, study finds C C 0 50 Feb 22, 2022 07:47 PM