Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Article  Neuroscience shows that speed reading is bullsh!t

C C Offline
It should have been conceived as "speed searching" instead of "speed reading". Or sometimes "fast acquisition of the key points or main story events (outline)" of a manuscript.
- - - - - - - -

https://bigthink.com/smart-skills/neuros...-bullshit/

SUMMARY: While most people can read between 200 and 400 words per minute, speed readers clam to manage three or four times that amount. Speed reading programs claim to teach students how to read more quickly without reducing comprehension. Research shows that they don't work. Speed readers are able to process more words per minute, but they remember less about what they have read compared to normal readers. The only way to read more quickly is to read more, in conjunction with expanding one's vocabulary. Reading ability must be honed through effort, not gimmicks... (MORE - details)
Magical Realist Offline
I remember the big deal Evelyn Wood's speed reading course made back in the 70's. I should've known it was bs. I am a slow and intermittently distracted reader by nature except when I am on amphetamines. Back when I was taking those I read the book "The Active Side of Infinity" by Carlos Casteneda in one day! I may have been doing the scanning thing though it felt like I was really into it.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Musk’s Neuralink is neuroscience theater (skepticism about medical intentions) C C 0 180 Aug 31, 2020 09:39 AM
Last Post: C C
  Catching Scientific Fraud at Rapid Speed C C 0 351 Apr 3, 2018 10:23 PM
Last Post: C C