Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Article  Medical students aren't showing up to class. What does that mean for future docs?

C C Offline
https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shot...uture-docs

INTRO: During my first two years as a medical student, I almost never went to lectures. Neither did my peers. In fact, I estimate that not even a quarter of medical students in my class consistently attended classes in person.

One of my professors, Dr. Philip Gruppuso, says in his 40 years of teaching, in-person lecture attendance is the lowest he's seen. Even before the COVID-19 pandemic, first- and second-year medical students regularly skipped lectures. Instead, they opted to watch the recordings at home on their own time. The pandemic accelerated the shift.

This absence from the classroom has a lot of people in the medical education system wondering how this will affect future doctors, and has precipitated wide discussion among medical institutions. Medical education is changing rapidly, and the change is being driven by students — so how do schools incorporate the reality of virtual learning while training them adequately for the huge responsibility of patient care? (MORE - details)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Research Good schools: Is it the school, or actually the students? C C 0 39 Mar 30, 2024 04:55 AM
Last Post: C C
  Article From citizens to peasants: How California destroyed its middle class (pop. analysis) C C 2 145 Aug 5, 2023 09:05 PM
Last Post: Secular Sanity
  How a medical school became very diverse — without considering race in admissions C C 0 67 Mar 9, 2023 07:00 PM
  Why most gun laws aren’t backed up by evidence C C 1 70 Feb 24, 2023 12:32 AM
Last Post: Syne
  Poll: 71% of unvaccinated say booster doses mean vaccines aren’t working C C 3 127 Sep 28, 2021 09:01 PM
  Survey finds 'slutpage' use may be common among U.S. college students C C 7 407 Mar 1, 2021 10:17 PM
  Banning wet markets: More complicated than it seems, average ones aren't THAT scary C C 0 199 Apr 16, 2020 06:36 AM
  Medical teams need to be alert to extra risks faced by diabetics from COVID-19 (data) C C 0 221 Apr 3, 2020 03:54 AM
  Mass shootings aren’t growing more common & evidence contradicts killer stereotypes C C 0 200 Aug 11, 2019 05:36 PM
  Radicals aren't good at knowing when they're wrong (survey study) C C 0 360 Dec 17, 2018 06:50 PM