Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Article  Tucker Carlson’s weird post-firing speech makes sense if you know who it was aimed at

C C Offline
https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2023...ement.html

The speech on Twitter: https://twitter.com/TuckerCarlson/status...7349578753

EXCERPTS: [...] Pasha Dashtgard, the director of research for American University’s Polarization and Extremism Research Innovation Lab, is not upset to see Carlson go...

[...] But as someone who spends much of his time “on all of the worst parts of internet,” he too is skeptical of how much this moment will ultimately mean: “There’s this kind of mutual reinforcing thing—Tucker Carlson is bad and is doing harm, but also, there is clearly a market for that kind of rhetoric...

[...] The liberal watchdog group Media Matters, which has tirelessly chronicled Carlson’s descent on Fox, is also reluctant to celebrate. Madeline Peltz, its deputy director of rapid response, told me Carlson was the “main conduit” between internet conspiracies and mainstream politics. “He invented a bridge between 4chan and 8chan and the fringes of the internet and mainstream conservative media institutions like Fox News,” she said.

Peltz watched Carlson every night for years, and noticed early on how theories that originated on the online fringes were repeated by the primetime host, particularly white supremacist ones. She expects that to continue...

[...] Meanwhile, the audience Carlson helped coax out of the woodwork remains. Dashtgard, of American University, said there is not much that would bring that group back to reality. “Deradicalization is a really hard thing to do. And it’s not scalable. I might be able to like counsel somebody over many years to change their worldview, to change their ideology. But it takes a lot of time and resources, and it takes a willingness on the part of the person to de-radicalize...” he said... (MORE - missing details)
Syne Offline
Media Matters has always been pure leftist propaganda.

Note how they claim he pushed white supremacist theories, but can't quote anything actually racist or supremacist.
Just the usual claptrap about dog whistles for a particular audience...except they've wised up to using the long-since debunked term "dog whistle."
Kornee Offline
Having had only the most cursory exposure to Tucker Carlson's general outlook till now, chanced on this excellent snippet by snippet summary:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmFGpZ5pNiw
Practically nothing I could disagree with. Confirmed everything I have been a lone voice on here regarding the Ukraine conflict in particular. And then some. No wonder he had to go.
Noting the gate-keeper tripe being posted here in defense of ousting Carlson, it's the last straw for me.
Bye bye SV. Wish I could say it was nice knowing you all.
C C Offline
(Apr 28, 2023 12:54 PM)Kornee Wrote: [...] Noting the gate-keeper tripe being posted here in defense of ousting Carlson, it's the last straw for me.
Bye bye SV. Wish I could say it was nice knowing you all.

The drawbacks of being in a mismatched time zone, perhaps. Occasionally there are appended notes to some news items that are (on second thought) removed a few hours later. Due to such potentially being insulting to the reader. (I.e, "You're so perceptually challenged you need help apprehending that this is the event as interpreted through the cognitive filters and preferences of the opposition; or you need autism-sympathetic signposts to assist you in navigating through the confusing wilderness and intricately veiled convolutions of sarcasm on the web; or this is so outrageous it almost serves as a bizarre instance of droll art on display (Cadillac Ranch), etc.")
Syne Offline
I hope he has the integrity to mean it when he says bye.
But most internet forum users just do that for attention, only to come back later...even if in another guise.
C C Offline
(Apr 29, 2023 12:24 AM)Syne Wrote: I hope he has the integrity to mean it when he says bye.
But most internet forum users just do that for attention, only to come back later...even if in another guise.

The latter especially at SF. Has any member that got perma-banned there ever NOT gone back as a sockpuppet?[1]

- - - footnote - - -

[1] Ah, nix the quote that was here previously. Purely a guess that such is who C***********n was over there, who seemed to have disappeared after circa a March 17, 2023 warning from James R for trolling.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Study on lasting effects of abortion + On Netflix's turn against Woke speech policing C C 0 68 May 17, 2022 02:48 PM
Last Post: C C
  World not scared of GMOs anymore? + Even "person" & "people" may be oppressive speech C C 0 90 Apr 4, 2022 07:03 PM
  Democrats strangely tuning in to Tucker Carlson in large numbers? + Whoopi Goldberg C C 14 351 Feb 8, 2022 03:08 AM
Last Post: Syne
  GETTR: New free speech "hellhole" may or may not be Trump's social media platform C C 1 113 Jul 2, 2021 04:58 AM
  Post-Trump happenings Syne 18 600 Dec 22, 2020 04:44 AM
  Canada: Radical feminist Megan Murphy on free speech + Trans activists protest Murphy C C 1 437 Oct 31, 2019 10:50 PM
  No free speech in the UK Syne 1 454 Feb 13, 2019 07:43 AM
  Should bots have free speech rights? + Vid games: Why not sex violence & child abuse? C C 0 510 May 25, 2018 09:04 PM
  Should right to vote be restricted? + Bad = desire to fit in + Free speech & courage C C 6 1,952 Oct 4, 2016 09:05 PM
  Curbs on free speech grow tighter C C 1 623 Jun 7, 2016 07:24 PM
Last Post: stryder