Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Why Carl Sagan believed that science is a source of spirituality

C C Offline
https://bigthink.com/thinking/why-carl-s...rituality/

INTRO (excerpts): Many assume [...] a spiritual worldview is simply incompatible with a scientific one. While that is the common assumption, it couldn’t be more wrong. Spirituality simply refers to a sense of connection to something larger than oneself, and it has nothing to do with the supernatural. To quote Carl Sagan, “Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality.”

Einstein [...] shared this view... “The further the spiritual evolution of mankind advances, the more certain it seems to me that the path to genuine religiosity does not lie through the fear of life, and the fear of death, and blind faith, but through striving after rational knowledge.”

So, what is the meaning of life, and the meaning of existence, according to this new worldview? In his book Vital Dust, Nobel laureate Christian de Duve gives a satisfying answer to that question:

“If the universe is not meaningless, what is its meaning? For me, this meaning is to be found in the structure of the universe, which happens to be such as to produce thought by way of life and mind. Thought, in turn, is a faculty whereby the universe can reflect upon itself, discover its own structure, and apprehend such immanent entities as truth, beauty, goodness, and love. Such is the meaning of the universe, as I see it.”

But to realize its meaning and transcendent purpose, the cosmos needs our help. As James Gardner puts it in his book Biocosm: “The universe, de Duve would surely agree, cannot exhibit the miracle of conscious thought nor its finest manifestations — truth, beauty, goodness and love — by itself. To do so, the universe urgently needs the assistance of humble mortals like ourselves.”

So, what can we do right now to assist the universe in its process of cosmic awakening? (MORE - details)

RELATED (scivillage): The most common source of awe might surprise you: It's us.
- - - - - - - -

Then again, it's also akin to cultural appropriation. Similar to how the words used for "color" (in various languages) originally referred to the experience itself or treated objects as really possessing those properties. But then science extended or reframed it as a range of frequencies in the EM spectrum. People of the past were unaware of the latter when they concocted the term. OTOH, it's also an accepted tradition to keep adding more different meanings to the same word, thus contributing to the semantic ambiguity or imprecision of ordinary language.
Magical Realist Offline
Quote:“If the universe is not meaningless, what is its meaning? For me, this meaning is to be found in the structure of the universe, which happens to be such as to produce thought by way of life and mind. Thought, in turn, is a faculty whereby the universe can reflect upon itself, discover its own structure, and apprehend such immanent entities as truth, beauty, goodness, and love. Such is the meaning of the universe, as I see it.”

I agree with that. The meaning of our existence is the cultivation and refinement of consciousness and mind. We are real and human to the extent that we are conscious and soulful participants in the evolving potentialities and novelty of the universe.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Article Men who pay women for sex: Devoid of spirituality, funders of human trafficking? C C 0 67 Aug 17, 2023 09:27 PM
Last Post: C C
  The most common source of awe might surprise you: It's us. C C 1 63 Feb 9, 2023 08:47 PM
Last Post: Magical Realist
  What stops people from being kinder? + Happiness classes (feel good spirituality) C C 0 47 Mar 25, 2022 05:54 PM
  Conspirituality + Is there a place for spirituality in space science? C C 2 103 Feb 2, 2022 02:27 AM
Last Post: Syne
  Spirituality can promote the health of breast cancer survivors C C 18 710 Sep 15, 2021 07:35 PM
Last Post: Zinjanthropos
  Small but growing field searches for neural correlates of religiosity & spirituality C C 0 62 Jul 14, 2021 04:58 PM
  Researchers identify brain circuit for spirituality C C 1 104 Jul 2, 2021 06:30 PM
Last Post: Magical Realist
  Science vs spirituality: The case of the severed head C C 0 120 Apr 14, 2021 07:04 AM
  Is spirituality a component of wisdom? C C 1 141 Oct 24, 2020 10:48 AM
Last Post: Syne
  Secular spirituality Magical Realist 21 3,448 Sep 3, 2019 06:12 PM
Last Post: Leigha