Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Richard Dawkins on Twitter

Yazata Offline
Many of those tweets reminded me of why I dislike Dick Dawkins.
Syne Offline
Why guns? You might as well be asking why people love freedom. Because without the means to protect and defend it, freedom is historically short-lived.
RainbowUnicorn Offline
why do americans need soo many guns to protect themselves from americans with guns ?
Syne Offline
Criminals. I suppose people with less freedom or less personal responsibility for their own safety would just cower and pray.
Magical Realist Offline
(Nov 17, 2022 03:51 AM)Syne Wrote: Criminals. I suppose people with less freedom or less personal responsibility for their own safety would just cower and pray.

Or dial 911...It's called law enforcement for a reason.
Syne Offline
(Nov 17, 2022 04:32 AM)Magical Realist Wrote:
(Nov 17, 2022 03:51 AM)Syne Wrote: Criminals. I suppose people with less freedom or less personal responsibility for their own safety would just cower and pray.

Or dial 911...It's called law enforcement for a reason.

What's their response time in your area? Faster than you could be harmed or murdered? I seriously doubt it.
See, you've abdicated your own personal responsibility for the false sense of security the police provide. Police do not stop crimes. Their authority only exists after a crime is committed.
But then, some people don't mind becoming statistics.
Magical Realist Offline
You need to seriously rethink how you are living your life if you have to shoot someone in order to be free. Maybe move to a better neighborhood. Maybe stop hanging around certain people. Or else see a therapist about your gun fixation. The only people who require guns are police and the military, the real defenders of our freedom.
Syne Offline
(Nov 17, 2022 06:03 AM)Magical Realist Wrote: You need to seriously rethink how you are living your life if you have to shoot someone in order to be free. Maybe move to a better neighborhood. Maybe stop hanging around certain people. Or else see a therapist about your gun fixation. The only people who require guns are police and the military, the real defenders of our freedom.

To be free from harm, you have to be able to prevent said harm. There is no other substitute for you taking the responsibility for your own safety yourself.
I live in a very crime-free neighborhood, but being able to protect myself and others allows the freedom to go to less safe neighborhoods without any undue concern. That's freedom from harm and freedom from worry.

That you think merely owning a gun is a "gun fixation" just shows that you rely on others to protect your ass. You might as well being praying to a god to protect you. But like I said, what's the police response time in your area? Your belief in the protection of the police and irrational fear of guns amounts to magical thinking.
Magical Realist Offline
There's a gun shop about a block from my apts. Today there's a line to get in that extends across the parking lot. The gun nuts are scared because Oregon passed Measure 114. The law is simply making it harder to purchase a gun for certain people, requiring permits, and minimizing magazine rounds to 10 bullets. It's not taking away any guns. How many guns do you need anyway?

https://ballotpedia.org/Oregon_Measure_1...ive_(2022)

A "yes" vote supported this ballot initiative to:
-----require permits issued by local law enforcement to buy a firearm;
-----require photo ID, fingerprints, safety training, criminal background check, and fee payment to apply for a permit; and
-----prohibit manufacturing, importing, purchasing, selling, possessing, using, or transferring ammunition magazines capable of holding more than 10 rounds and make violations a class A misdemeanor.