Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Open science & UAPs + Finding aliens could trigger global conflict with dire results

C C Offline
Open Science and Unidentified Aerial Phenomena
https://avi-loeb.medium.com/open-science...73d3169383

INTRO (Avi Loeb): If the government finds evidence for an extraterrestrial technological origin of Unidentified Aerial Phenomena (UAP), the President will be the first to know about it. But such an event will be no different than the President being the first to know that the most abundant element in the Universe is hydrogen. It makes little sense for scientific knowledge of reality to adhere to national borders. Science should be done in an open and a transparent way, so that all of humanity will benefit from it. In the case of COVID-19, many lives would have been saved if the detailed scientific information about the outbreak in Wuhan, China, would have been immediately shared throughout the world.

Yesterday, I posted a paper with a quantitative scientific calculation, implying that the dark objects identified as “phantoms” by a team of Ukranian astronomers led by Boris Zhilayev, are likely artillery shells. The objects were characterized by the astronomers as having sizes of 3–12 meters and speeds of up to 15 kilometers per second at a distance of up to 10–12 kilometers. I showed that these characteristics would result in huge fireballs around the objects as a result of their unavoidable friction with air. The power of the fireball scales as the inferred distance to the fifth power. If the distances are overestimated by a factor of ten, the size and speed of the dark objects would match those of artillery shells... (MORE - details)

Finding aliens could trigger global conflict with dire consequences: study
https://www.newsweek.com/detecting-alien...er-1750248

EXCERPTS: "In their 2022 paper for Space Policy, Jason T, Wright et al. criticize the contention that was made by Wisian and Traphagan in their 2020 paper in Space Policy that suggested that there was a measurable risk of conflict being induced by one party merely detecting an alien signal in a passive SETI search – and then trying to maintain exclusive access to that signal," John Rummel, a former SETI program scientist and senior astrobiologist at NASA, told Newsweek.

[...] "In our paper, we argue that the specific scenario many people imagine, that the signal will contain "advanced" physics and engineering that we can use to build new technologies, perhaps even military technologies, is pretty unlikely, and that even if it happens, there's not much governments could do to get a monopoly on that information," the author of the space policy paper and professor of astronomy and astrophysics at the Penn State Extra-terrestrial Intelligence Center, Jason T. Wright, told Newsweek"A signal from space will be available to anyone on Earth with a satellite dish, so there's not much point in, for instance, sending the army in to take over a radio telescope facility."

"The issues raised [in 2020] represent a problem in international cooperation that might be applied to any technological advance (e.g., atomic weapons, quantum entanglement, etc.), rather than something exclusive to SETI or METI searches," Rummel added.

According to Wright, the ways people would react to that information are hard to predict, meaning that governments might mistakenly think sending in the army is a good idea.

"We argue to prevent that we need to make sure policymakers and government officials are aware of what SETI is, and understand the nature of any signal that gets detected early. There are some protocols in place that SETI practitioners know and generally try to follow, and these include widely sharing the details of any detected signal to make sure there are no misunderstandings...(MORE - missing details)

RELATED (physics dot org): How should the world's governments respond if we detect an alien civilization?
- - - - - - - - - -

PAPER ABSTRACT: We discuss the recent “realpolitik” analysis of Wisian & Traphagan (2020, W&T) of the potential geopolitical fallout of the success of SETI.

They conclude that “passive” SETI involves an underexplored yet significant risk that, in the event of a successful, passive detection of extraterrestrial technology, state-level actors could seek to gain an information monopoly on communications with an ETI. These attempts could lead to international conflict and potentially disastrous consequences. In response to this possibility, they argue that scientists and facilities engaged in SETI should preemptively engage in significant security protocols to forestall this risk.

We find several flaws in their analysis. While we do not dispute that a realpolitik response is possible, we uncover concerns with W&T’s presentation of the realpolitik paradigm, and we argue that sufficient reason is not given to justify treating this potential scenario as action-guiding over other candidate geopolitical responses. Furthermore, even if one assumes that a realpolitik response is the most relevant geopolitical response, we show that it is highly unlikely that a nation could successfully monopolize communication with ETI. Instead, the real threat that the authors identify is based on the perception by state actors that an information monopoly is likely. However, as we show, this perception is based on an overly narrow contact scenario.

Overall, we critique W&T’s argument and resulting recommendations on technical, political, and ethical grounds. Ultimately, we find that not only are W&T’s recommendations unlikely to work, they may also precipitate the very ills that they foresee. As an alternative, we recommend transparency and data sharing (which are consistent with currently accepted best practices), further development of post-detection protocols, and better education of policymakers in this space.
https://doi.org/10.48550/arXiv.2209.15125
Zinjanthropos Offline
The big word is 'could'. Hell, we think the universe is only 15 bn yrs old but as far as we know, this is the 15 billionth recycle. A lot may have happened if that's the case. Well.... maybe I'm a dreamer. I always harken back to the Errands of Mercy episode, my favourite on the original Star Trek series, to have some idea of what might be possible from contact with a highly advanced intelligence. The Organians were successful in ending conflict in the wink of an eye just by using thought, pretty cool. Here's the script ending for the show:

Quote:[Kor's office]

KIRK: What is it, Spock?
SPOCK: Inexplicable, Captain. Extreme heat. Not only the weapons but the bodies as well.
(Ayelborne and Claymare come in.)
AYELBORNE: We are terribly sorry to be forced to interfere, gentlemen, but we cannot permit you to harm yourselves.
KOR: What are you talking about?
CLAYMARE: We have put a stop to your violence.
KIRK: You are stopping this? You?
CLAYMARE: All instruments of violence on this planet now radiate a temperature of three hundred and fifty degrees. They are inoperative.
KOR: My fleet!
AYELBORNE: The same conditions exist on both the star-fleets. There will be no battle.
KOR: Ridiculous!
AYELBORNE: I suggest you contact them. You too, Captain. Your ship is now within range of your communications device.
KIRK: Kirk to Enterprise. Come in.
SULU: Captain.

[Bridge]

SULU: I can't explain it. We were just closing in on the Klingon fleet when

[Kor's office]

SULU [OC]: Every control on our ship became too hot to handle.
(Then it all goes dark, and he can touch the consoles again)
SULU [OC]: Our power's gone. Our phaser banks are dead.
KIRK: Stand by, Sulu.
KOR: My fleet, it's helpless.
KIRK: What have you done?
AYELBORNE: As I stand here, I also stand upon the home planet of the Klingon Empire, and the home planet of your Federation, Captain. I'm going to put a stop to this insane war.
KOR: You're what?
KIRK: You're talking nonsense.
AYELBORNE: It is being done.
KIRK: You can't just stop the fleet. What gives you the right?
KOR: You can't interfere. What happens in space is not your business.
AYELBORNE: Unless both sides agree to an immediate cessation of hostilities, all your armed forces, wherever they may be, will be immediately immobilised.
KIRK: We have legitimate grievances against the Klingons. They've invaded our territory, killed our citizens. They're openly aggressive. They've boasted that they'll take over half the galaxy.
KOR: Why not? We're the stronger! You've tried to hem us in, cut off vital supplies, strangle our trade! You've been asking for war!
KIRK: You're the ones who issued the ultimatum to withdraw from the disputed areas!
KOR: They are not disputed! They're clearly ours. And now you step in with some kind of trick.
AYELBORNE: It is no trick, Commander. We have simply put an end to your war. All your military forces, wherever they are, are now completely paralysed.
CLAYMARE: We find interference in other people's affairs most disgusting, but you gentlemen have given us no choice.
KIRK: You should be the first to be on our side. Two hundred hostages killed.
AYELBORNE: No one has been killed, Captain.
CLAYMARE: No one has died here in uncounted thousands of years.
KOR: You are liars. You are meddling in things that are none of your business.
KIRK: Even if you have some power that we don't understand, you have no right to dictate to our Federation
KOR: Or our Empire!
KIRK: How to handle their interstellar relations! We have the right
AYELBORNE: To wage war, Captain? To kill millions of innocent people? To destroy life on a planetary scale? Is that what you're defending?
KIRK: Well, no one wants war. But there are proper channels. People have a right to handle their own affairs. Eventually, we will have
AYELBORNE: Oh, eventually you will have peace, but only after millions of people have died. It is true that in the future, you and the Klingons will become fast friends. You will work together.
KOR: Never!
CLAYMARE: Your emotions are most discordant. We do not wish to seem inhospitable, but gentlemen, you must leave.
AYELBORNE: Yes, please leave us. The mere presence of beings like yourselves is intensely painful to us.
KIRK: What do you mean, beings like yourselves?
AYELBORNE: Millions of years ago, Captain, we were humanoid like yourselves, but we have developed beyond the need of physical bodies. That of us which you see is mere appearance for your sake.
KOR: Captain, it's a trick. We can handle them. I have an army.
(Kirk holds him back as Ayelborne and Claymare transform into pulsating lights, too bright to look at. Then they disappear.)
SPOCK: Fascinating. Pure energy. Pure thought. Totally incorporeal. Not life as we know it at all.
KIRK: But what about this planet? The fields, the buildings, this citadel?
SPOCK: Conventionalisations, I should say. Useless to the Organians. Created so that visitors such as ourselves, could have conventional points of reference.
KOR: But is all of this possible?
SPOCK: We have seen it with our own eyes. I should say the Organians are as far above us on the evolutionary scale as we are above the amoeba.
KIRK: Well, Commander, I guess that takes care of the war. Obviously, the Organians aren't going to let us fight.
KOR: A shame, Captain. It would have been glorious.

[Bridge]

SPOCK: You've been most restrained since we left Organia.
KIRK: I'm embarrassed. I was furious with the Organians for stopping a war I didn't want. We think of ourselves as the most powerful beings in the universe. It's unsettling to discover that we're wrong.
SPOCK: Captain, it took millions of years for the Organians to evolve into what they are. Even the gods did not spring into being overnight. You and I have no reason to be embarrassed. We did, after all, beat the odds.
KIRK: Oh, no, no, no, Mister Spock, We didn't beat the odds. We didn't have a chance. The Organians raided the game.
Kornee Offline
The Ukrainian astronomers may or may not have screwed up bad in their analyses.
Avi Loeb's 'devastating rebuttal' assumes the 'phantoms' observed are necessarily material objects. Everyone here knows why I reject that presumption.
Kornee Offline
Update:
There aren't actually UFOs over Ukraine, experts say
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technolog...0a877681a2

It basically repeats Avi Loeb's analysis, with evidently the same plausibility assumptions. But adds the crucial point that the Ukrainian astronomers apparently never used triangulation methodology to obtain accurate distance estimates.
Will be interesting to see if the beleaguered astronomers hit back defensively, or just 'go dark' phantom style, themselves.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Article The weird aliens of early science fiction C C 1 106 Oct 24, 2023 09:00 PM
Last Post: Magical Realist
  Check⁉️ Jack Sarfatti on UAPs: "We think UFOs are coming from the future." C C 10 332 Mar 12, 2023 07:33 PM
Last Post: Zinjanthropos
  Why the Chinese spy scare could trigger a rash of UFO reports C C 1 76 Feb 8, 2023 08:20 AM
Last Post: Kornee
  Those who regard aliens & UAPs as a mutating spam / advertising virus C C 2 155 Dec 17, 2022 12:40 AM
Last Post: C C
  Video of bees working together to open a soda bottle C C 1 95 May 26, 2021 06:30 PM
Last Post: Magical Realist
  A list of every place aliens could be hiding + Senate confirms UAP program's survival C C 0 132 Jun 24, 2020 07:27 PM
  Remote viewing results of Zimbabwe school ufo enounter Magical Realist 2 263 Mar 31, 2020 03:31 PM
Last Post: Zinjanthropos
  Amazing results from George Meek's Spircom device Magical Realist 9 3,574 Oct 25, 2015 09:49 PM