Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

‘I feel lost’: Chilean researchers saddened by vote to reject new constitution -GAMES

C C Offline
https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-022-02850-1

INTRO: The votes are in — and many scientists are disappointed. On 4 September, Chileans voted to reject a proposed new constitution for their nation. The draft charter, developed over a year by a citizen-led assembly, framed science as a tool that could improve society. It also emphasized actions against climate change and support for research across all of Chile, rather than only at institutions in the capital city.

“I feel very lost,” says Andrea Vera Gajardo, a mathematician at the University of Valparaíso who volunteered as an electoral observer. “I don’t understand the choice Chile made.”

Polling before the vote indicated that Chileans would reject the document and all of its 388 articles. In late August, more than 1,200 scientists — including principal investigators, postdocs, students and research assistants — signed a letter encouraging people to approve the draft. But about 62% of voters did the opposite during Sunday’s mandatory plebiscite.

“My gut tells me that fear won,” says Bárbara Rojas-Ayala, an astronomer at the University of Tarapacá in Arica, who endorsed the letter.

In addition to bolstering science, the proposed charter suggested drastic changes to Chile’s economic and political systems that people weren’t ready for, she says. For instance, to protect nature and transition towards a sustainable society, it called for stepping away from an economic model based on extracting natural resources from the earth. Many people — and some of the country’s biggest industries — disapproved... (MORE - details)

RELATED THREAD (scivillage): Chile overwhelmingly rejects progressive new constitution

OTHERS (scivillage): Nature: Manuscripts that are ideologically impure and “harmful” will be rejected ..... Another STEM field, particle physics, gets woke

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New phase of matter opens portal to extra time dimension (physics games) C C 0 100 Jul 28, 2022 02:20 AM
Last Post: C C
  Richard Branson won space tourism battle, but his company lost the war (space games) C C 1 79 Jul 13, 2022 05:21 AM
Last Post: RainbowUnicorn
  Everest doesn't always feel #1 (mountain climbing hobbies) + Sex in sports C C 1 166 Jun 13, 2021 01:42 AM
Last Post: confused2
  London murder rate overtakes New York's (security games) C C 6 902 Apr 3, 2018 08:55 PM
Last Post: Syne
  New Board Games C C 0 360 Sep 21, 2017 03:11 AM
  Game uses physics tricks to boost realism + Super Bowl: Feel not super either way C C 0 427 Feb 7, 2016 06:12 PM