Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Are You a Naïve Realist?

C C Offline
https://nautil.us/are-you-a-naive-realist-20403/

EXCERPTS: . . . Lee Ross, a professor of psychology at Stanford [...] loved to quote George Carlin. “Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?”...

[...] Ross and his colleagues demonstrated that the fundamental attribution error was fed by the illusion of personal objectivity. In a 2016 Ted Talk, Ross joked that people “believe that their take on the world is the objective one, and what has to be understood or explained is, ‘What is it about those other people that seem to get it wrong?’” Ross came to call this [psychological] “naïve realism,” the tendency for people to think they see the world objectively, as it is, free from personal bias. Ross established three characteristics of the “naïve realist.”

First, the naïve realist believes that their perceptions are realistic and “objective.” Accordingly, other people (at least, reasonable other people) should share their beliefs, preferences, and convictions.

Second, the naïve realist expects that any reasonable, open-minded person will be persuaded to agree with the naïve realist if there is disagreement between parties. If there is disagreement, and if the disagreeing party is a reasonable person, presenting the “real facts” should restore harmony.

Third, anyone who disagrees with the naïve realist after the presentation of real facts is unreasonable, biased, or irrational.

Ross and his colleagues spent decades characterizing instances where the illusion of objectivity shaped how people think. [...] Ross found that people thought their own views were shaped by rational considerations more than biased thinking. They also found that participants’ evaluation of peers relied entirely on the perception of similarity between their views...

[...] how accurately his theory of naïve realism applies to our lives and culture today. America has fractured into separate camps because people are convinced their views are objective while those who disagree with them are deluded...

[...] it turns out that simply raising awareness of cognitive biases helps people identify instances of bias in their own judgments and correct their thinking accordingly. In 2014, psychologists Eran Halperin and Meytal Nasie led a series of studies examining whether merely making people aware of naïve realism and its consequences could lay a foundation for compromise among Israelis and Palestinians. Participants were assigned to a control condition, or to an experimental condition in which they read a passage describing naïve realism and its consequences, which included the following excerpt:

Naïve Realism is the human tendency to form one’s own worldview regarding various subjects, perceived by an individual as the only truth. Accordingly the individual believes that other people’s reluctance to share his or her views arises from ignorance, irrationality, an inability to draw reasonable conclusions from objective evidence, ideological biases, or self-interest. The psychological bias of naïve realism causes people to see the world in a unilateral and simplistic manner. As a result of this bias, people tend to ignore or reject any information that does not fit their pre- existing worldview, which is perceived by them as the only truth. Consequently, they fail to see things from several points of view and may miss opportunities for change and progress.

Participants in the experimental condition—in particular, those who held more hawkish political ideologies—reported greater openness to learning about the point of view of the rival group following this short intervention. Remarkably, this was true of both Israelis and Palestinians, offering a simple and intuitive strategy to set the stage for dialogue between parties in conflict.

[...] While learning about naïve realism might help us overcome some of our political animosity, it is naïve to expect that alone is sufficient to repair the fractures in our democracy. A problem of this magnitude requires more than just a shift in individuals’ willingness to entertain others’ perspectives. But it is a place to start... (MORE - missing details)
- - - - - -

Older, naïve realism in the context of perception: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Na%C3%AFve_realism
Magical Realist Online
I'm a magical realist, and I take my reality adorned in all the extravagant trappings of subjective qualia and properties. I don't pretend at some objective reality, and wouldn't want to live in one even if I did. Subjectivity is what makes reality personal as well as relevant for us. We are not built for the desolate and grey landscape of purely objective facts and rules. Living in that reality we'd probably die of boredom and anhedonia.
Yazata Offline
(Jun 26, 2022 05:55 PM)C C Wrote: https://nautil.us/are-you-a-naive-realist-20403/

I'm not sure who the authors of this thing are (Lee Ross, the guy who they are lauding, is dead) but they seem to be using the phrase "naive realism" in a peculiar and highly tendentious way.

Of course the original epistemological usage was always tendentious, intended as an insult directed at those of us who disagreed with the beliefs of the ones hurling the insult. Those of us who damnably didn't derive their desired conclusions from the argument from illusion, hence demonstrating our supposed philosophical naivete.

Quote:EXCERPTS: . . . Lee Ross, a professor of psychology at Stanford [...] loved to quote George Carlin.

It's hard to take somebody seriously who thinks comedians are intellectuals.

Quote:“Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?”...

It is a witty remark though. Made me smile.

Quote:[...] Ross and his colleagues demonstrated that the fundamental attribution error was fed by the illusion of personal objectivity. In a 2016 Ted Talk, Ross joked that people “believe that their take on the world is the objective one, and what has to be understood or explained is, ‘What is it about those other people that seem to get it wrong?’”

I'm not convinced that the authors of this nautil.us piece really understand what Ross' "fundamental attribution error" was. Their take on it is very different than Wikipedia's. (For whatever that's worth, I don't trust Wikipedia either.)

I perceive what appears to be a logical problem in the sentences quote immediately above. "Ross and his colleagues demonstrated" the "fundamental attribution error" which supposedly consists of people who "believe that their take on the world is the objective one"...

So the obvious question that rises there is whether this supposed error applies to Stanford psychology professors as well as to the rest of us. Ross and his colleagues (and every other university professor along with them, except maybe for some of the postmodernists) would seem to be guilty of precisely the same "error" that they attribute to the "naive" ones.

More fundamentally, Ross' "error" seems inherent in what ethics and belief more broadly are.

Ethics involves our intuiting various actions as right and wrong, and then using those intuitions to guide our own action and to judge others.

And belief seems to be a propositional attitude in which we employ our own intuitions (empirical and logical) to attribute truth to those propositions that we happen to believe in.

So ethics is based upon our thinking that our moral intuitions are right, and factual belief consists in our accepting our factual beliefs as true. If we didn't think that, then they wouldn't be moral intuitions or cognitive beliefs.

Of course we can adopt a fallibilist attitude towards beliefs. If I believe some some matter of fact, I necessarily think (as a working assumption perhaps) that I'm likely correct about it. (That's not an "error", it's inherent in the idea of belief.) But I also accept that my belief might possibly turn out to be mistaken, in the event that more information becomes available. (Some of the problems of illusion seem to evaporate when we do that.)

Ethics is more problematic, since there don't seem to be any objective moral facts against which we can measure our moral intuitions. So basically all we have are those intuitions. But if we stopped embracing our moral intuitions as definitive of how we and others should act, then we would seem to have no ethics at all.