Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

The politics of logic: interview with Paul Livingston

C C Offline
https://www.3-16am.co.uk/articles/the-po...mes-series

INTRO: Paul Livingston is interested in the philosophy of mind, philosophy of language, phenomenology, metaphysics, and political philosophy from a perspective grounded in the history of twentieth-century philosophy, analytic and continental. Here he discusses new collective directions or ways of living that make sense, realism, the politics of logic, why he's not a linguistic idealist, set theory and ontology, the formalism of formalism, the Buddhist tradition, Badiou, the foundations of authority and the constitution of power, Carl Schmitt, the importance of Frege, Russell, Godel and Cantor, truth and temporal change, realism about time, being and their relationship, sense, realism and ontological difference, and Michael Dummett... (MORE - the interview)

EXCERPTS: '... it seems to me that if we want to get at “metaphysical structure” we need to say something about what kind of thing that could be and how it relates to the logic of truths, and this has to go beyond just appealing to naturalism or the continuity of philosophy with natural science. Just appealing (for example) to primitive “naturalness” or “carving at the joints” doesn’t seem to me to say much. I’m also not sure we’re trying to find out “facts about the world” or what that would mean, if it’s not what physicists or other natural scientists are supposed to be doing, rather than philosophers or logicians.'

'I want to say that my point in appealing to Russell’s paradox and Gödel’s proofs -- and maybe better even than those to Tarski’s results – is  not  to say that a formalism of the whole, or a formalism that will be complete in relation to its intended domain, is impossible. It’s rather, and this is important, to say that  if  it is complete in this sense it will be inconsistent.'

'... realism is a matter of the objective determination of claims as either true or false,  tertium non datur . This is good both because it brings in the structure of truth centrally and explicitly, and because it  isn’t  in any sense a formulation in terms of the opposition between “subjects” and “objects” or the “mind-dependence” or “independence” of things. Rather than presupposing that kind of dichotomy, I find it much more useful to think about it in Dummett’s way where we are essentially considering whether there is always a way that sense is determined by us through the contingency of our practices or our abilities – which is to allow that truth goes only as far as we have determined or are in an idealized way capable of determining given our epistemic capacities (the anti-realist view) – or to refuse any such picture and say truth is determined just by the way things are and that sense goes as far as this.'

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Logic of Trick or Treat Yazata 1 82 Nov 1, 2023 11:37 AM
Last Post: Zinjanthropos
  Let Supreme Logic Lead You to God Ostronomos 4 190 Aug 19, 2022 08:43 PM
Last Post: Ostronomos
  Turns out, Spock is kinda bad at logic + 20 great works of philosophical fiction C C 0 126 Apr 24, 2021 05:19 AM
Last Post: C C
  “More important than logic is truth & in particular the truth of some contradictions" C C 3 279 Apr 11, 2021 10:02 AM
  A reality theoretic extension of Logic/ mathematical proof of God Ostronomos 0 118 Feb 23, 2021 07:28 PM
Last Post: Ostronomos
  Logic versus empiricism in the case for God Ostronomos 6 1,362 Apr 12, 2019 04:18 PM
  The logic of brains and the logic of the external world are one Ostronomos 6 1,408 Dec 19, 2017 04:01 PM
Last Post: Zinjanthropos
  Logic and language Magical Realist 4 1,305 Dec 14, 2017 09:26 PM
Last Post: Magical Realist
  Return of sophism + Rise & fall of logic + Cosmic inquiries C C 0 447 Jan 15, 2017 09:46 PM
  Science, Power and Politics (Interview with John Horgan) C C 0 591 Aug 5, 2015 11:24 PM