Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

What is nothingness?

Magical Realist Offline
I believe this website is attempting to demonstrate the fallacy of arguing from something's unproveable non-existence to its existence. Hence:

"Logical Form:

I cannot prove that X exists, so you prove that it doesn’t.

If you can’t, X exists.

Example #1:

God exists. Until you can prove otherwise, I will continue to believe that he does.

Explanation: There are decent reasons to believe in the existence of God, but, “because the existence of God cannot be disproven”, is not one of them."
Yazata Offline
(Apr 10, 2022 01:14 AM)Magical Realist Wrote: I believe this website is attempting to demonstrate the fallacy of arguing from something's unproveable non-existence to its existence. Hence:

"Logical Form:

I cannot prove that X exists, so you prove that it doesn’t.

If you can’t, X exists.

Yes, I agree with the author that's pretty clearly fallacious reasoning.

The existence of something doesn't follow from somebody's inability to "prove" (demonstrate, argue convincingly for) its non-existence.

But that being said, while the argument doesn't succeed in demonstrating the existence of the thing in question, the inability to rule it out does seem to leave open room for its possibility.

In other words...

If somebody can't demonstrate the non-existence of X, perhaps he/she should be less quick with denunciations of the idea that it might in fact exist.

(Yes, I'm thinking of a particular sort of atheist here.)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  On Being and Nothingness Magical Realist 10 1,366 Apr 24, 2019 10:49 PM
Last Post: Syne