Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Putin: the psychology behind his destructive leadership (despot style)

C C Offline
As with many things foaled by the "human sciences"[1] (social sciences & biomedical sciences), maybe take it with a small grain of salt....

[1] Plagued by replication crisis, publish or perish, predatory journalism, funding source corruption, social constructivism slash oikophobia, political bias in science administration policies, academic misconduct, hybridization with the humanities, etc.

- - - - - -

Putin: the psychology behind his destructive leadership & how best to tackle it according to science
https://theconversation.com/putin-the-ps...nce-179823

EXCERPTS: . . . One recent study of 14 authoritarian state leaders, including Putin and the Brazilian president Jair Bolsonaro, found they were less agreeable (in terms of being trustful and altruistic) and less emotionally stable compared with less autocratic leaders. They also scored higher on antisocial, “dark personality traits”, such as machiavellianism (manipulation and deception), narcissism (grandiosity, superiority and entitlement) and psychopathy (low empathy, aggression and impulsivity).

Research also suggests that these traits make them less competent and less easily understood by others.

Viewing Putin from this perspective, much evidence points to the conclusion that he has worrisome antisocial tendencies. This is visible in his behaviour toward political rivals and international leaders. One clear example is that when he first met the German chancellor, Angela Merkel, he deliberately brought a large dog to the meeting, despite – or perhaps because – he knew that she was afraid of dogs.

Another example is the poisoning and imprisonment of the opposition leader Alexei Navalny. The callous disregard for due process and Navalny’s human rights is consistent with dark personality traits.

So how can we use this knowledge? What is needed to tackle the war is a two-level game. You need to deal with Putin, but you must also contend with complicating factors created by his webs of relationships, domestically and internationally. The latter involves reinforcing solidarity with Russian citizens and respecting their norms.

This two-level method is a tested approach for dealing with people with antisocial traits working in corporate settings. Ultimately, you need to tackle bad leaders while also taking into account the needs of their employees.

[...] Research on narcissistic leadership also suggests that giving honest feedback on behaviour – such as calling out lying – can help to keep such leaders under control. But this should not evolve into a public humiliation, which could easily make matters worse.

[...] The effectiveness of economic sanctions – such as those currently in use against Putin – is debated by scholars. Because such sanctions cause poverty among ordinary people, they can lead to higher levels of authoritarianism as both the leader and people feel victimised by the international community... (MORE - missing details)
Secular Sanity Offline
Not in his defense (don't know the man), but I wonder how Madeleine Albright would fare with the Rwanda Genocide and her remark on 60 minutes.

Quote:"We have heard that half a million [Iraqi] children have died. I mean, that is more children than died in Hiroshima," Stahl said. "And, you know, is the price worth it?"

"I think that is a very hard choice," Albright answered, "but the price, we think, the price is worth it."
Syne Offline
(Mar 26, 2022 11:19 PM)Secular Sanity Wrote: Not in his defense...

If you have to keep saying it, some part of you knows.
Kornee Offline
(Mar 26, 2022 11:19 PM)Secular Sanity Wrote: Not in his defense (don't know the man), but I wonder how Madeleine Albright would fare with the Rwanda Genocide and her remark on 60 minutes.

Quote:"We have heard that half a million [Iraqi] children have died. I mean, that is more children than died in Hiroshima," Stahl said. "And, you know, is the price worth it?"

"I think that is a very hard choice," Albright answered, "but the price, we think, the price is worth it."
Good riddance to that thoroughly evil, and consequently lavishly MSM/US establishment lauded/farewelled, deceitful/genocidal bitch:
https://theintercept.com/2022/03/25/made...herbalife/
A slightly expanded reiterative quote:
"It was in her role as U.N. ambassador in 1996 that Albright uttered the most infamous words of her career, in an appearance on “60 Minutes.”

The show’s correspondent Lesley Stahl asked Albright about the effect that U.N. sanctions were having on Iraqi society, saying, “We have heard that a half-million children have died. I mean, that’s more children than died in Hiroshima. And, you know, is the price worth it?”

Albright responded with chilling equanimity: “I think this is a very hard choice, but the price — we think the price is worth it.”"

Sure, bitch. It was 'worth it' because it enhanced precious Israel's 'invisible' Yinon Plan!
Subsequently the baton was passed to fellow Neocons under Bush junior, to successfully facilitate 'finishing the job'.
Secular Sanity Offline
(Mar 27, 2022 09:41 AM)Kornee Wrote: Sure, bitch. It was 'worth it' because it enhanced precious Israel's 'invisible' Yinon Plan!
Subsequently the baton was passed to fellow Neocons under Bush junior, to successfully facilitate 'finishing the job'.

I don’t know about that. It’s a little too fringy for my liking.
Kornee Offline
(Mar 27, 2022 03:00 PM)Secular Sanity Wrote:
(Mar 27, 2022 09:41 AM)Kornee Wrote: Sure, bitch. It was 'worth it' because it enhanced precious Israel's 'invisible' Yinon Plan!

I don’t know about that. It’s a little too fringy for my liking.
Fringe is a state of mind my friend. But to take it to a more concrete level, I'm sure you are more than capable of researching the topic.
So many links to quality articles it's not funny. Never was actually. Tip - suggest use of no-tracking no-censorship search engines e.g. Metager.org, or Gibiru.com (DuckDuckGo having gone to the Dark Side).
Syne Offline
See, you only feed virulent antisemitism when you bash the US. US sanctions didn't kill Iraqi children. Saddam just continually blamed the sanctions, with no independent verification...and those same MSM journos running with his Iraq state provided numbers. Anti-Semites will only find the fringe crap that verifies their hateful bias. Not legit fact checking that doesn't: https://cdn.factcheck.org/UploadedFiles/...add-up.pdf

Congrats on feed the antisemitism, SS. That's what happens when you appease, make excuses for, and try to play nice with objectively evil people. Not that you're likely to ever learn that lesson.
Secular Sanity Offline
(Mar 27, 2022 08:54 PM)Syne Wrote: See, you only feed virulent antisemitism when you bash the US. US sanctions didn't kill Iraqi children. Saddam just continually blamed the sanctions, with no independent verification...and those same MSM journos running with his Iraq state provided numbers. Anti-Semites will only find the fringe crap that verifies their hateful bias. Not legit fact checking that doesn't: https://cdn.factcheck.org/UploadedFiles/...add-up.pdf

Congrats on feed the antisemitism, SS. That's what happens when you appease, make excuses for, and try to play nice with objectively evil people. Not that you're likely to ever learn that lesson.

She gave the interview on May 12, 1996. She didn’t know the numbers at the time. Your article even said that her inhumane response helped to motivate anti-sanction campaigns.

She regretted coming across as cold-blooded and cruel, but she did...and she was. 

She addressed it in a 2020 memoir. "In fact, the producers of 60 Minutes were duped. Subsequent research has shown that Iraqi propagandists deceived international observers Per a 2017 article in the British Medical Journal of Global Health, the data 'were rigged to show a huge and sustained—and largely non-existent—rise in child mortality to heighten international concern and so get the international sanctions ended.' ... This is not to deny that UN sanctions contributed to hardships in Iraq or to say that my answer to Stahl's question wasn't a mistake. They did, and it was.” 

Francesco Giumelli noted that the UNSC had largely abandoned comprehensive sanctions in favor of targeted sanctions since the mid-1990s, with the controversy over the efficacy and civilian harms attributed to the Iraq sanctions playing a significant role in the change: "The sanctions imposed on Iraq in 1990 covered all goods entering or leaving the entire country, whereas those imposed today are most often directed against individuals or non-state entities and are more limited in scope. The widespread view that 500,000 Iraqi children died as a result of UN comprehensive sanctions itself rang the death knell for the perceived utility of comprehensive measures."

In a similar vein, Albright herself told an interviewer in 2020 that "we learned in many ways that comprehensive sanctions often hurt the people of the country and don't really accomplish what is wanted in order to change the behavior of the country being sanctioned. So, we began to look at something called 'smart sanctions' or 'targeted sanctions.'"

https://pure.rug.nl/ws/files/99187293/Un...alysis.pdf
Syne Offline
That's called defending action you knew were right, regardless of what people try to tell you the unintended costs were. Many at the time were duped by those erroneous numbers, especially when they fit their own biased agenda, like the resident anti-Semite here. You harping on it is only fueling that antisemitism.
Secular Sanity Offline
(Mar 28, 2022 02:12 AM)Syne Wrote: That's called defending action you knew were right, regardless of what people try to tell you the unintended costs were. Many at the time were duped by those erroneous numbers, especially when they fit their own biased agenda, like the resident anti-Semite here. You harping on it is only fueling that antisemitism.

They weren't handled right. That's why we have targeted sanctions now.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Article Musk says Putin can’t lose in Ukraine, opposes Senate bill (fashions in futility) C C 0 84 Feb 13, 2024 08:16 PM
Last Post: C C
  Study: Left-wing authoritarianism needs to be taken seriously in political psychology C C 1 84 Oct 3, 2021 02:16 AM
Last Post: Syne
  Noam Chomsky style + The Shat's style C C 0 540 Apr 5, 2017 04:11 PM
  Lark style versus Owl style: Sex, drugs, late nights, and psychopaths C C 0 787 Jul 21, 2016 05:34 AM