Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

The FDA needs to take another look at laser-based 'vaginal rejuvenation'

C C Offline
https://www.statnews.com/2022/02/22/the-...uvenation/

EXCERPTS: Laser procedures promising “vaginal rejuvenation” are being promoted to women in advertisements online, in spa windows, and even in some doctors’ offices. If my patient group is any guide, women receiving treatment for cancer may be especially interested in obtaining the benefits touted in these ads, as some cancer treatments cause sexual health side effects.

Yet the use of lasers in the vagina is not only ineffective but dangerous, and the Food and Drug Administration should immediately restrict such use.

Using lasers to treat skin conditions goes back as early as 1963 as a method for destroying pigmented skin elements. In the years since, however, the beauty industry — sometimes called the medical aesthetics industry — has gone beyond applying this technology outside the body to using it in the vagina, claiming it can treat a broad range of gynecologic and urologic conditions.

[...] As a breast cancer surgeon and a board-certified gynecologist, I am especially concerned about how these devices may be causing harm to my already vulnerable patients. Women with breast cancer are often instructed to avoid all estrogen products, which means they don’t have access to the most effective treatment for vaginal symptoms caused by their cancer treatment. Women with estrogen-sensitive tumors are typically prescribed estrogen-blocking medications, which can cause the tissues of the vagina to become thinner, dryer, and less elastic. If this state persists for years, the vagina can shorten and narrow, making penetrative intercourse next to impossible, leading women to seek ways to alleviate their symptoms.

Over the last five years, I have seen an influx of cancer patients looking for help after getting vaginal laser treatment. Some came to me with chronic bladder pain; others experience burning sensations on the vulva (the external part of the vagina) or internally. I’ve even seen scarring that causes the vaginal walls to cohere.

The more women I see with these injuries, the more I have come to suspect that the lure of “vaginal rejuvenation” might hold extra appeal for cancer patients, which appalls me. It’s not that I don’t want my patients to get relief; I do. What I want is to spare them the risks and costs of a procedure that multiple peer-reviewed studies have shown to be no better than traditional therapies, and sometimes worse than them... (MORE - missing details)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  FDA & ivermectim + The "Mother Tree" fad + Dismissal of gene importance C C 0 48 Mar 28, 2024 02:36 AM
Last Post: C C
  Article University wholly ditches merit-based hiring, favoring gender, “looks”, & personality C C 4 141 Nov 21, 2023 02:17 PM
Last Post: Zinjanthropos
  Article Why race-based health care is bad medicine: from BiDil to kidney transplants C C 0 64 Mar 30, 2023 05:19 PM
  Even "good racism" can't base special needs on mere appearances & ethnic claims? C C 0 85 Mar 18, 2022 07:26 PM
  A 3rd option for political based science misrepresentation? C C 1 90 Sep 8, 2021 09:09 PM
Last Post: Syne
  Science needs a radical overhaul + False epidemic of skin cancer stirs new proposals C C 0 105 Feb 3, 2021 11:37 PM
  Why was Theranos so believable? Medicine needs to look in the mirror C C 1 498 May 26, 2018 04:45 PM
Last Post: Magical Realist
  Clinical trials may be based on flimsy animal data C C 0 246 Apr 6, 2018 03:59 AM
  The 'War On Salt' -- Bad Policy Based on Bad Science? C C 0 416 Jun 6, 2016 06:00 AM