Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Greenspace outside prison walls has a positive effect on prisoner wellbeing (design)

C C Offline
https://www.birmingham.ac.uk/news/latest...being.aspx

RELEASE: Prisoners who are incarcerated in buildings located in green areas are less likely to engage in self-harming or violent behaviours, new research shows.

According to a study by researchers at the Universities of Birmingham and Utrecht, green areas outside prisons can have a positive effect on wellbeing, alongside the proven positive effects of greenspace inside the prison walls. The research is published in Wellbeing, Space and Society.

In the study, researchers used GIS (Geographical Information Systems) data to map greenspace, stretches of water and also major roads in a 500m ‘buffer zone’ surrounding prisons in England and Wales. This data was then examined in relation to official statistics on violence and self-harm in prisons.

The team found strong evidence that self-harm and violence were reduced across all prison types where prisons were surrounded by a green buffer zone.

Lead author, Professor Dominique Moran, said: “We already know that the characteristics of prisons themselves affect the wellbeing of both prisoners and staff, but our research suggests that the spaces surrounding prisons are also important. Cost, convenience and local community relations typically dictate where prisons are built – we suggest the effects of prison location on the incarcerated should also be considered.”

The results are surprising, given that prisons in more rural locations are likely to be further away from home for urban prisoners, and harder to reach by public transport. Visitation is known to enhance wellbeing, but greater distance from home may affect the regularity of visits. The inclusion of major roads in the analysis showed that both greenspace and connectivity are important factors for wellbeing. Future prison location should seek to balance green space with transport links.

The researchers were unable to take into account information about prisoners’ views from cell windows - however, since views to outside buffer zones are likely to be blocked by prison walls and fences, the research poses interesting questions about how surrounding greenspace might deliver benefits when it cannot be seen.

“We suggest that prisons located within these buffer zones might have better air quality, lower environmental pollution and a more peaceful soundscape,” adds Professor Moran. “Although more research is needed in this area, all of these factors may have a positive effect on prisoner wellbeing.”
Leigha Offline
This is a great idea. I understand that there is a certain punishment aspect to incarceration, but we're in need of prison reform in terms of providing rehabilitation for inmates who are interested in changing their lives. Prisoners are human beings first, and I'm saddened at how poorly so many US prisons are operated.
Syne Offline
(Jan 13, 2022 11:13 PM)Leigha Wrote: This is a great idea. I understand that there is a certain punishment aspect to incarceration, but we're in need of prison reform in terms of providing rehabilitation for inmates who are interested in changing their lives. Prisoners are human beings first, and I'm saddened at how poorly so many US prisons are operated.

Like substance addiction, there is no rehabilitation without the individual's own will, and the required determination will overcome not having a greenspace. For the rest, greenspace is only a mollifying gesture, at best, without any impact on rehabilitation. Notice, no mention of rehabilitation in the article. Even the actual paper only mentions rehabilitation as a speculative aside, at the end of discussing the results.
stryder Offline
(Jan 14, 2022 01:33 AM)Syne Wrote:
(Jan 13, 2022 11:13 PM)Leigha Wrote: This is a great idea. I understand that there is a certain punishment aspect to incarceration, but we're in need of prison reform in terms of providing rehabilitation for inmates who are interested in changing their lives. Prisoners are human beings first, and I'm saddened at how poorly so many US prisons are operated.

Like substance addiction, there is no rehabilitation without the individual's own will, and the required determination will overcome not having a greenspace. For the rest, greenspace is only a mollifying gesture, at best, without any impact on rehabilitation. Notice, no mention of rehabilitation in the article. Even the actual paper only mentions rehabilitation as a speculative aside, at the end of discussing the results.

Perhaps the study should of extended to whether lessening housing density and encouraging green spaces in cities reduces the number of people committing offenses thereby reducing the number in incarceration in the first place. Part of the problem is the number of people attempting to live in close proximity, we don't have the communities we once did during the industrial period (Where people would work for the same businesses) instead people are a patchwork of professions and walks-of-life, constantly being squeezed into tighter and tighter space by developers trying to make the most money out of their efforts (especially in the UK), most of us don't necessarily know (or want to know) who our nextdoor neighbours are.

The housing thats being built is meant for families (in regards to costs), single people and those on a budget are expected to live in small places with the absence of yards or garden spaces. (Sometimes even with a limited number of windows in poorly placed directions, which the small places themselves can be similar to being in incarceration.) Such properties increasingly lead to depression, anxiety and in some cases confrontation (Neighbours being on top of each other likely hear each others complaints far more often than any compliments.) Those confrontations can then lead to various acts (Violent or otherwise) that then lead to the very incarceration that the initial op was about.

In essence is a downward spiral and really the research could perhaps look further up the spiral to identify how to break it as a downward trend in the firstplace.
Syne Offline
I doubt you can blame depression, anxiety, and violence on the size, proximity, and design of properties. These things are more correlated to culture and neighborhood (proximity to a prevalent culture). You're likely conflating the causes and symptoms, where self-imposed shut-ins are a symptom, not a cause, of depression. Contributing, though not final, causes to such depression could be a lack of feeling productive, from being on the dole, although any COVID lockdowns could contribute as well.
Leigha Offline
I'd think that the main idea behind prison is to deter crime, thereby lowering the crime rate. But, it doesn't seem to be working like that. We still have a lot of crime and an overcrowded prison system in the US.

The punishment aspect of prison is to serve as a deterrent (understandable), but the prison system (overall) in the US, seems to be more about suffering than reform. For many people, prison is often the end of the road, and the last glimmer of hope for rehabilitation. So, the greenspace idea is a step in the right direction, in terms of lowering self-harm and violence. Once those things happen, then rehabilitation programs might have greater success. Of course, it still comes down to wanting to change, but if a violent offender is thrown into a gang populated, violent prison system, there is a high probability that the same offender, once paroled, will be right back in that same prison in a few months. So, what is that really accomplishing?

It's not the prison's 'fault' that someone continues to break the law, but prisons shouldn't be breeding grounds for more violence and drugs. So, if someone doesn't have a support system outside of prison, he/she will likely head right back into the violent, criminal activity, especially since prison didn't offer a different experience for them.

Is it possible that prisons can serve as both punishment and rehabilitation?

(Jan 14, 2022 01:33 AM)Syne Wrote:

Agree about determination, but many people don't know how to change, because no one has given them a chance, or shown them a better way. I'm not suggesting prison should be exciting and fun, but it seems to be causing more suffering, and in turn, paroling people who are worse off to themselves and society.

Regarding greenspace, agree too - but it's a step in the right direction. It's an interesting idea and I hope it catches on if it proves to lessen violence in the prison system.
Syne Offline
(Jan 14, 2022 08:35 PM)Leigha Wrote: I'd think that the main idea behind prison is to deter crime, thereby lowering the crime rate. But, it doesn't seem to be working like that. We still have a lot of crime and an overcrowded prison system in the US.

The punishment aspect of prison is to serve as a deterrent (understandable), but the prison system (overall) in the US, seems to be more about suffering than reform. For many people, prison is often the end of the road, and the last glimmer of hope for rehabilitation. So, the greenspace idea is a step in the right direction, in terms of lowering self-harm and violence. Once those things happen, then rehabilitation programs might have greater success. Of course, it still comes down to wanting to change, but if a violent offender is thrown into a gang populated, violent prison system, there is a high probability that the same offender, once paroled, will be right back in that same prison in a few months. So, what is that really accomplishing?

No, prison is not meant as a deterrent. Police presence is the deterrent. Prison, as opposed to municipal/county jail, is primarily meant to house dangerous people to keep the public safe. Democrats ignore that and release violent prisoners early, leading to even more crime and inevitable recidivism/reincarceration. Again, prison is not about reform, as no one reforms unless they make an personal choice to do so. Nothing can force a person to make such a choice. Some people just hit bottom and decide to change, while others seem to have no bottom low enough to change them. Prison isn't "hope for rehabilitation." It's just hitting bottom. Aside from being at the mercies of other criminals, prison isn't even all that punishing. It's not like you're forced to do hard labor anymore.

Now, if greenspace helps manage the prisoners and safeguard the well-being of staff, I'm all for it. But let's not imbue it with the magical properties of being able to change lives that wouldn't otherwise change.

There's no evidence that such measures will have any impact on recidivism.

(Jan 14, 2022 08:35 PM)Leigha Wrote: Agree about determination, but many people don't know how to change, because no one has given them a chance, or shown them a better way. I'm not suggesting prison should be exciting and fun, but it seems to be causing more suffering, and in turn, paroling people who are worse off to themselves and society.

No one can "give you the chance" to change. You either want to change and work hard to do so or you do not. Examples of a "better way" are all around every one of us. We need only look...like at the guy working overtime at a minimally paying job rather than stealing, etc..
Zinjanthropos Offline
A good test might be to allow prisoners to tend a garden or grow plants in their cells. I think it is done in some places but only select prisoners, idk.  Unfortunately putting garden tools in wrong hands might backfire and we’d see first hand just how much the calming effect has had. Too bad because I liken this story to ‘The Birdman of Alcatraz’. Made prison life more bearable for the inmate and wouldn’t you know it, a leading expert on birds was created. Something about observing or participating in nature is relaxing for me so no surprise it’s beneficial to prisoners well-being.
C C Offline
(Jan 15, 2022 03:30 PM)Zinjanthropos Wrote: A good test might be to allow prisoners to tend a garden or grow plants in their cells. I think it is done in some places but only select prisoners, idk.  Unfortunately putting garden tools in wrong hands might backfire and we’d see first hand just how much the calming effect has had. Too bad because I liken this story to ‘The Birdman of Alcatraz’. Made prison life more bearable for the inmate and wouldn’t you know it, a leading expert on birds was created. Something about observing or participating in nature is relaxing for me so no surprise it’s beneficial to prisoners well-being.

Chain gangs fully allowed prisoners to escape their claustrophobic confines and be in an outdoor environment. But..

https://www.prisonlegalnews.org/news/199...-in-court/

The complaint states that in just the first three weeks of operation there have been several confrontations amongst the prisoners. When fights break out guards aim their weapons at the entire chained group. Other problems caused by chained prisoners are the risk of being bitten by poisonous snakes. Prisoners must urinate and defecate while chained to each other as well.

https://essays.io/chain-gangs-in-the-us-...r-example/

[...] in the chain gangs situation, they do not have any freedom, they are denied rest since one individual resting means resting of the whole group and to make matters worse, they do not have access to essentials including water for quenching thirst. 

The shackles also produced infected ulcerations back in the old days. No breaks, no shade from the heat.

And as aforementioned, a diverse mixture of young gang members (in the conventional sense) can have violent issues with each other, especially if they're of different ethnicity (below). Not to mention that witnessing minorities being chained-up and laboring outdoors would generate an outcry from activists about echoes of slavery.
- - - - - -

Hispanics battle blacks in major Calif. prison riot
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-priso...0620070101

A major California prison riot involving 800 inmates started when a black and a Hispanic prisoner began fighting, prompting other prisoners to join divided along racial lines, an official said on Sunday.

Building a New Identity: Race, Gangs, and Violence in California Prisons
https://www.racism.org/articles/law-and-...ionhousing

The California Prison system is notorious for its highly racialized environment. A history of numerous instances of prison violence--labeled as race riots--paints a picture of a system where inmates of different races require segregation to prevent brutal beatings, murders, and rapes.

Stopping Race Wars Behind Bars
https://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor...d=90523786

When they go to state prison, they'll be able to be viewed as loyal soldiers to the Mexican-American gangs that are in the state prison system. So, the theory behind what they do is they attack any black inmate. The dorms automatically divide under racial separation and then the big fight is on, and many innocent people get hurt, including Latinos as well.

Going back to 2006, you ordered prisoners to be segregated despite an earlier ruling by the state supreme court that such segregation was unconstitutional. Why did you that? And what were the consequences?

Initially, I did it because it made common sense, and then, of course, inmates, both Latino inmates and African-American inmates, were asking that this be done. What was interesting is that the Latino inmates that were wrapped up in this unwittingly, meaning that they didn't want to do any fighting but knew that the culture there was that if they didn't fight, then other Latino inmates would jump them. They were sending messages to me saying we need to separate each other for a period time until this thing cools down.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Top 10 urban design stories of 2015 + 10 Green design predictions for 2016 C C 0 751 Dec 31, 2015 04:35 AM
Last Post: C C