Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Warehouse collapse is making workers question Amazon’s purported phone ban at work

C C Offline
https://gizmodo.com/warehouse-collapse-i...1848202992

INTRO: A 1.1 million-square-foot Amazon warehouse that collapsed in Edwardsville, Illinois was among the buildings hit by a series of deadly tornadoes on Friday that swept across six states, killing dozens of people. The tragedy has put Amazon under scrutiny for purportedly not allowing its warehouse workers to have their cell phones with them at work.

A Bloomberg report published on Sunday provided a glimpse of employee sentiment about the company’s cell phone ban after the incident in Edwardsville, which killed at least six Amazon warehouse workers. The outlet spoke to five Amazon employees, some of whom work in a company facility across the street from the Edwardsville warehouse, who said they want to be able to receive information about deadly weather events through their smartphones.

The Edwardsville warehouse had its roof ripped off by a tornado, which caused its 11-inch thick concrete walls to collapse on themselves. At least 45 Amazon workers made it out safely from the rubble, Reuters reported. The warehouse employs approximately 190 workers across multiple shifts, Amazon said.

According to Bloomberg, Amazon has prohibited employees from carrying their phones with them and requires them to leave the devices in their cars or work lockers. The company loosened its policy during the pandemic, the outlet reported, but has been slowly reinstating the ban in facilities throughout the U.S.

An unnamed worker from another Amazon facility in Illinois told Bloomberg that having their phone with them on the warehouse floor would allow them to contact their loved ones or emergency responders if they become trapped after an extreme weather event.

“After these deaths, there is no way in hell I am relying on Amazon to keep me safe,” the worker said. “If they institute the no cell phone policy, I am resigning.”

A worker at an Amazon warehouse in Indiana echoed the concerns about safety... (MORE - details)
Leigha Offline
In reading through some of the comments, it does seem odd that the roof came off and then the walls buckled? I'm not familiar with construction codes, but just seems strange.

In Florida, there are occasional tornado warnings, and sadly...so many of us who live here don't take them seriously. I don't know why, but one can't imagine a tornado spanning the width of 100+ miles, and desecrating whole towns. It's something out of movies. Sad
Leigha Offline
Think you meant that for MR's kitchen drawer ghost thread, Z. Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Research 1000s of ancient structures still hidden deep in Amazon (rain forest architecture) C C 0 81 Oct 11, 2023 04:26 PM
Last Post: C C
  Domestic newspaper warns of Russian space program’s “rapid collapse” (engineering) C C 0 66 Dec 19, 2021 04:17 AM
  Workers at Bezos’ rocket company allege sexism, safety risks (issues in engineering) C C 2 119 Oct 3, 2021 10:44 PM
Last Post: Syne
  How fire causes office-building floors to collapse C C 0 115 Mar 26, 2020 06:42 PM
  Huge Motorway Bridge Collapse in Genoa Italy Yazata 1 377 Aug 14, 2018 09:46 PM
  Palestinian high-tech workers plugging shortage of Israeli tech engineers C C 1 549 Jul 4, 2018 08:47 PM
Last Post: Syne
  Designed, planned & constructed by robots (video) + Don't Charge your phone overnight C C 0 419 Sep 25, 2017 10:17 PM