Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Listening to Mozart doesn’t make you smarter (Wolfgang community)

C C Offline
https://www.forbes.com/sites/evaamsen/20...27e8962910

EXCERPT: For decades, headlines have claimed that Mozart’s music has all kinds of amazing effects on people’s behaviour and performance. But once you look closer at the different studies behind those headlines, the truth is often much simpler. Out of all possible music to look at, researchers often choose Mozart’s music when they just needed a sample of any type of music.

Much of the hype around Mozart’s effect on the brain started in 1993, with a single page letter in Nature called “Music and spatial task performance”. This paper reported the results of a study in which 36 college students performed spatial reasoning tasks after either listening to music, listening to a relaxation tape, or not listening to anything at all. The students who listened to music performed better.

It’s an interesting study, but it took on a life of its own once it hit the news. [...] Remember, this all came from a very small study involving 36 college students. ... the researchers themselves never claimed that there was anything special about Mozart. They just needed some music for their study, and they picked a well-known piece of music by a well-known composer.

Since then, there have been many other experiments that showed that listening to music can make it easier to carry out certain tasks or affect how people act. Very often, these studies use Mozart’s music. Not because there’s anything special about Mozart, but because it’s easy to come by, in the public domain, well-known — and often also because other people before them also used Mozart in their studies.

[...] There is a lot of really interesting research being done about how different types of music affect people, but they usually look at specific factors that determine how your brain processes the sound. For example, whether the piece of music is sung or instrumental could have an effect, or what the tempo of the music is. But whether something is Mozart or not does not have much meaning on its own... (MORE - missing details)

https://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/inaLmrmsfOY
confused2 Offline
From the article refenced in the OP..
Quote:Not because there’s anything special about Mozart..
Like there's nothing special about Newton (the apples and gravity guy) .. household names after hundreds years .. nothing special about them? Is it so difficult to work out who worked out Newton's Laws of Motion? Name a composer.. if Mozart isn't 1st or 2nd I don't know what culture you're from. Mrs C2 is a musician, not the snooty type (she married me) .. I'm not going to wake her up for this but I'm pretty sure Mozart is top of her list of composers.
Syne Offline
Way to miss every bit of the context, C2. No one claimed that Mozart wasn't special in general.
Magical Realist Offline
In the classical music world saying there's nothing special about Mozart is like scientists saying there's nothing special about Einstein.
Syne Offline
Again, read the actual context. Do I have to spell it out in crayon?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NZ one of few with potential to make enough food in a nuclear winter (DU community) C C 2 81 Feb 9, 2023 10:49 PM
Last Post: RainbowUnicorn
  Educational community: Does a Cartoon Penguin Make Math Education Great Again? C C 0 452 Jan 13, 2017 06:35 PM
Last Post: C C
  EU community: Cameron on UK exit + Wealth doesn't shield US blacks from incarceration C C 0 732 Mar 11, 2016 08:37 PM
Last Post: C C