Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Is margarine consumption causing divorce in Maine?

C C Offline
Quote:[...] Harvard law student Tyler Vigen shares charts showing “spurious correlations” — high correlation between two random, unrelated statistics. [...] Divorce and Margarine; Bedsheet Deaths and Ski Profits; Norwegian Oil and Train Accidents; Uranium and Arcade Revenue; North Carolinian Marriage and Executions; Sour Cream and Motorcycle Accidents [...]

Oh, so that's the secret weapon of those hipster dufuses down at...

GRADY: "What's your secret, Toby? How do you win all these late bets on a mediocre team like the Banshees?"

TOBY: "If my pet rooster first crows before sunrise on game day, the Banshees win. When he first crows after or during sunrise on game day, they lose. Afterwards, if he crows 1-3 times total over 30 minutes, the score will be close at the end. If he crows more than 7+ times it's a blowout, or approaching that. 4-6 times means a common disparity."

GRADY: "You mean there's a causal connection between your rooster and the Banshees?"

TOBY: "Nah, don't need anything like that. These are just reliable, spurious correlations I discovered."

GRADY: "Any more tips?"

TOBY: "My uncle works for Tyson Foods and practices haruspicy of a sort. Utilizing acausal relationships associated with chicken guts and the shape of stones found in their gizzards. Here's his card."

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Excess sugar consumption costs Canada’s health-care system $5 billion each year C C 0 53 Mar 16, 2022 06:23 PM
Last Post: C C