Scivillage.com Casual Discussion Science Forum

Full Version: Is margarine consumption causing divorce in Maine?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Quote:[...] Harvard law student Tyler Vigen shares charts showing “spurious correlations” — high correlation between two random, unrelated statistics. [...] Divorce and Margarine; Bedsheet Deaths and Ski Profits; Norwegian Oil and Train Accidents; Uranium and Arcade Revenue; North Carolinian Marriage and Executions; Sour Cream and Motorcycle Accidents [...]

Oh, so that's the secret weapon of those hipster dufuses down at...

GRADY: "What's your secret, Toby? How do you win all these late bets on a mediocre team like the Banshees?"

TOBY: "If my pet rooster first crows before sunrise on game day, the Banshees win. When he first crows after or during sunrise on game day, they lose. Afterwards, if he crows 1-3 times total over 30 minutes, the score will be close at the end. If he crows more than 7+ times it's a blowout, or approaching that. 4-6 times means a common disparity."

GRADY: "You mean there's a causal connection between your rooster and the Banshees?"

TOBY: "Nah, don't need anything like that. These are just reliable, spurious correlations I discovered."

GRADY: "Any more tips?"

TOBY: "My uncle works for Tyson Foods and practices haruspicy of a sort. Utilizing acausal relationships associated with chicken guts and the shape of stones found in their gizzards. Here's his card."