Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Science gives us more reason than ever to believe in God (Douthat style)

C C Offline
Douthat: Science gives us more reason than ever to believe in God
https://whyevolutionistrue.com/2021/08/1...ve-in-god/

EXCERPT (Jerry Coyne): I’m always puzzled when people who show reasonably high intelligence confess that they’re religious—even deeply religious. These people include Andrew Sullivan, NIH head Francis Collins, and NYT columnist Ross Douthat.

Though I usually disagree with Douthat and his conservative views, at least they’re based on data, however misinterpreted. But his deep faith (pious Catholicism), which he displays in embarassing detail in his new NYT essay, is beyond my ken.

For here Douthat not only advances some of the common and unconvincing arguments for God (many taken from Intelligent Design), but also makes many of them, and says that they’re based on science itself.

But none of his claims will convince the skeptic. Further, Douthat fails to deal with arguments against God—especially the argument from physical evil (tsunamis, childhood cancers, and so on). 

He doesn’t answer the question of where God came from, nor how we decide what beliefs about God are are true in the face of conflicting faith claims—though he does mention these issues. He punts on the question about why he’s a Catholic instead of a Jew or a Muslim. Is this just his preference, or are there facts about the world that vindicate Catholicism? Douthat doesn’t say.

As I began to write this summary and critique of his arguments, I felt more and more that even very smart people are willing to accept dubious claims if it makes them feel good. In other words, they lack well-tuned organs of skepticism and are ridden with confirmation bias.

If you have other answers (e.g., God gives us answers to questions we can’t solve—another of Douthat’s “reasons”), weigh in below. And I remind readers of Michael Shermer’s relevant book, Why People Believe Weird Things.

[...] In this long piece, Douthat makes five arguments for God that I’ll summarize and discuss briefly. But first lays out his claim: that, in fact, believing in God, especially these days, is the most parsimonious thing to do. Atheism is less parsimonious than faith. And, even though science has advanced and explained via naturalism a lot of things once imputed to God, Douthat sees these advances as simply confirming God’s existence even more strongly... (MORE - details)

CLAIMS: (1) The fine-tuned universe proves God ..... (2) The “hard problem” of consciousness proves God. ..... (3) The comprehensibility of the Universe itself is proof of God ..... (4) Demonic visitations, near-death experiences, and other numinous phenomena prove God ..... (5) Finally, because evolution leads us to believe in things that are real and true, ubiquitous belief in God must give us greater confidence that God exists
Syne Offline
Why is it that those who are incapable of making the argument often have the platform to do so?
Leigha Offline
There seems to be this notion of non-believers that religious/spiritual types have come to their beliefs strictly by emotion, and logic/reason was completely left out of the mix. Genuine discussions can be difficult to get off the ground, when non-believers are convinced that their ''opponents'' are by default, dumber than them, simply because they believe in God.
Syne Offline
Yeah, that's the ego I was telling MR can be a barrier to belief.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Female birds cheat on mates for a practical reason (cuck shed lifestyles) C C 1 106 Jan 18, 2022 03:08 AM
Last Post: Syne
  Warm weather sees UK harvest one of biggest strawberry hauls ever (grower's style) C C 0 136 May 29, 2020 09:31 PM
Last Post: C C
  Canadian experts aren't sure Beyond Meat is healthier than beef (veggie style trends) C C 1 308 Jul 28, 2019 08:54 PM
Last Post: confused2
  Reason is out of fashion: Our return(?) to a society regulated by outrage & shaming C C 1 555 Nov 12, 2017 03:41 AM
Last Post: RainbowUnicorn
  Noam Chomsky style + The Shat's style C C 0 540 Apr 5, 2017 04:11 PM
  Lark style versus Owl style: Sex, drugs, late nights, and psychopaths C C 0 786 Jul 21, 2016 05:34 AM