Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

The song lyrics thread

C C Offline
Because... unless you're part of the New Formalism movement rising feebly from the grave to challenge what Ezra Pound wrought, where else can you exhibit or still engage in the atavistic practice of rhyming and other constraints?
C C Offline
(Aug 30, 2021 04:18 PM)Zinjanthropos Wrote: Whoops....disregard

Shucks. Don't make me have to post something awful to reduce the initial fear of embarrassment.
Zinjanthropos Offline
(Aug 30, 2021 04:54 PM)C C Wrote:
(Aug 30, 2021 04:18 PM)Zinjanthropos Wrote: Whoops....disregard

Shucks. Don't make me have to post something awful to reduce the initial fear of embarrassment.

Was working on something and accidentally hit Post Reply. I was partially done but now I’ve lost the initiative.  Never know, might show up some day. 

Might be a good topic: Why on an anonymous forum would anyone be embarrassed to post? Never stopped a troll...lol
C C Offline
Okay, this hapless example (after several revisions) should relieve any stage fright out there or "dive into the pool" hesitancy.

One might also alternatively post the lyrics of anonymous folk songs that few have ever heard of or that have no video and audio file examples online. But I wonder if there even is such a thing, that has managed to dodge that "honor" since the dawn of the web.

- - - - - -

Are you being gaslighted?

Under sly edges and angles they lurk,
Ticking fateful like tightening clockwork.
One scenic signpost warns of depression;
Another marks the trail of oppression.

[refrain] That coiled, paranoid rattle in your mind,
Was it an uplifting find?
Doubt is what this partnership invited:

Down the hall, some whispers are collating;
What they bode is meekly a mystery.
Too late to unmask summer witchery;
The draining patience becomes droll waiting.

Seaside, there waddled a bitter design,
Fattened by vertigo and sandy shore.
It crept through a garden and prickly vine
To set a taut springe for the herbivore.

Zinjanthropos Offline
Good one CC. I’ve been binge watching the docuseries Mayday. A lot of sad endings of which I’ll focus on a few. Between pilot error and airline companies with poor maintenance/safety records it’s hard to say who are the bigger concern.

Anyway I thought I’d do something different, maybe upsetting to some, but I’m putting down a few verses in a Children’s song style. Let’s call it the Mayday Song. Wonder how the Wiggles would perform it?

(Chorus)
Mayday, mayday, plane goes up
Mayday, mayday, plane comes down
Wheels go up, wheels come down
Airplane makes it to the ground

One day plane goes up too quick
Pilot holding Shaker Stick
Up so steep, plane in a stall
Starts a seven mile fall

(Repeat chorus)

One day plane have engines fail
Pilot glides to no avail
Runway just too far away
Splashes jet into the bay

(Repeat chorus)

One day plane is pressure less
Pilot loses consciousness
Plane continues as it should
Soon no gas, crash in the wood

(Repeat chorus)

One day plane direction wrong
Pilot knows but goes along
Thinks he knows which way is best
Mountain hit, should have gone west

(Repeat chorus)

One day plane falls out of sky
Pilots warned but don’t know why
Ground approach, get up in air
Crash is caused by pilot error

(Repeat chorus)
——————————————————-
I could go on but I’ll spare everyone. There are a lot of episodes
C C Offline
(Sep 1, 2021 08:54 PM)Zinjanthropos Wrote: [...] I’ve been binge watching the docuseries Mayday. A lot of sad endings of which I’ll focus on a few. Between pilot error and airline companies with poor maintenance/safety records it’s hard to say who are the bigger concern.

Information-wise, I clearly need to rediscover the joys of watching reality programming again.

Quote:Anyway I thought I’d do something different, maybe upsetting to some, but I’m putting down a few verses in a Children’s song style. Let’s call it the Mayday Song. Wonder how the Wiggles would perform it?

Never too controversial for Danish children shows, once translated. I suspect they're just as receptive to a background ditty that musically embellishes claymation fiery crashes and burned/dismembered bodies on the screen as they are to a super-elongated diller: https://www.scivillage.com/thread-9858-p...l#pid42276
Zinjanthropos Offline
Can’t decide if your ditty (Are you Being Gaslighted) is Paul Simon-esque or Heavy Metallic. I think works either way. What were you thinking when you penned it?

As for Claymation, I have a buddy named Clay and I use Claymation for a nickname but I don’t think he knows what the hell it is...lol Were Gumby and Pokey the first claymation creatures squashed in front of TV watching kids? Even religion had theirs with “What do you think Goliath?” “Gee Davey I’m a talking dog.”
C C Offline
(Sep 2, 2021 05:14 PM)Zinjanthropos Wrote: [...] As for Claymation, I have a buddy named Clay and I use Claymation for a nickname but I don’t think he knows what the hell it is...lol Were Gumby and Pokey the first claymation creatures squashed in front of TV watching kids? Even religion had theirs with “What do you think Goliath?” “Gee Davey I’m a talking dog.”

Apparently they were. Originally appearing on the Howdy Doody show back in 1953. Art Clokey was partly or chiefly responsible for Davey and Goliath, too, at the United Lutheran Church in America's behest.

For some strange reason, that 2001 Mountain Dew commercial of Davey and Goliath ("We got hosed, Tommy") reminded me of that infamous 2009 Folgers incest commercial. Must be the sacrilegious tone they both had in common: One revolving around those two Sunday icons and the other concerning Christmas reunions.

Quote:Can’t decide if your ditty (Are you Being Gaslighted) is Paul Simon-esque or Heavy Metallic. I think works either way. What were you thinking when you penned it?

Something I abandoned a couple of months ago. Then remembered it and cobbled the fragments together just for the sake of planting something here to get things rolling. Then tinkered with it considerably after posting it.

As a result, there's not even a remote semblance of meter, although for the sake of a potential melody pattern (hah!) a syllable count of ten is adhered to for the lines of the regular stanzas. Differs for the refrain, where it alternates to 7.

Probably should have kept the rhyming pattern the same for the 3rd and 5th "paragraphs", but I couldn't resist the urge to vary it.

Usually I've got some kind of vague melody and rhythm going on in my head and what genre would be playing it -- but not in this particular case.
C C Offline
(Sep 2, 2021 05:14 PM)Zinjanthropos Wrote: Can’t decide if your ditty (Are you Being Gaslighted) is Paul Simon-esque or Heavy Metallic. I think works either way.

Oh, got it now. Retro experimental rock, Pink Floyd-ish.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Best advice ever given in a song Magical Realist 11 341 Jul 18, 2023 05:31 AM
Last Post: Leigha
  Acoustic guitarist thread - solo performances (occasional exceptions & solo electric) C C 50 933 Jun 29, 2023 09:49 PM
Last Post: C C
  Song Quiz Magical Realist 11 360 Jun 17, 2023 12:37 PM
Last Post: Zinjanthropos
  A song expressing his longing for the love of his life Ostronomos 1 156 Feb 15, 2021 09:15 PM
Last Post: confused2
  Documentary Thread Leigha 1 273 Jul 14, 2019 07:28 PM
  A Scientific Song of Consciousness and Self C C 3 713 Jan 14, 2019 04:38 AM
  My Autobiography in a Song Ostronomos 2 483 Aug 11, 2018 11:21 PM
Last Post: Zinjanthropos
  Incredible song by Lil Wayne and Drake! Ostronomos 0 378 Aug 9, 2018 10:21 PM
Last Post: Ostronomos
  This song deserves its own thread Ostronomos 1 394 Jul 23, 2018 05:17 PM
Last Post: Ostronomos
  This is an incredible song, deep stuff! Ostronomos 3 450 Jul 5, 2018 02:42 PM