Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

As cohort, social science predictably tries to justify Kafkatrap of CRT advocates

C C Offline
Or, alternatively... lends credence to how leftangelicals or white Wokesters may often be paternalistic racists [see footnote]
- - - - - -

Why insisting you're not racist may backfire (fashionable trends in Critical Race Theory)
https://newsroom.haas.berkeley.edu/resea...-backfire/

RELEASE: When you insist you’re not racist, you may unwittingly be sending the opposite message.

That’s the conclusion of a new study by three Berkeley Haas researchers who conducted experiments with white participants claiming to hold egalitarian views. After asking them to write statements explaining why they weren’t prejudiced against Black people, they found that other white people could nevertheless gauge the writers’ underlying prejudice.

“Americans almost universally espouse egalitarianism and wish to see themselves as non-biased, yet racial prejudice persists,” says Berkeley Haas Asst. Prof. Drew Jacoby Senghor, one of the authors. “Our results suggest that the explicit goal of appearing egalitarian might blind people to the possibility that they could be communicating, and perpetuating, prejudicial attitudes.”

Co-authored by Derek Brown, PhD 24, and Michael Rosenblum, PhD 20—a post-doctoral scholar at NYU Stern School of Business—the study builds on past research finding people’s racial prejudice “leaks out” through nonverbal behavior, such as facial expressions or physical distance. In a series of experiments published in the Journal of Experimental Social Psychology, the researchers looked at perceptions based solely on written content.

They selected a group of white participants, screening out the small percentage who expressed overt prejudice, and scored subjects’ racial attitudes with two widely used assessments. The subjects were then asked: “Do you believe that all people are equal and should have equality of opportunity? Why or why not?,” and “Are you prejudiced toward Black people? Why or why not?” A second group of white participants, asked to read the written responses, accurately estimated how the writers had scored on the prejudice scale.

Linguistic cues. In a second experiment to parse out whether people were signaling racial attitudes intentionally or inadvertently, they asked one group to answer as honestly as possible and another group to answer “in the least prejudiced way possible.” There was no difference to the readers, who accurately scored both groups’ answers.

“That gave us some confidence that people are naturally trying to come across as egalitarian, but something about the language they choose is betraying them,” Rosenblum said.

What were those linguistic cues? The most powerful indicator, they found, was language that dehumanized or objectified African Americans—for example, “I have a great relationship with the Blacks.”

Other characteristics such as defensiveness, references to personal responsibility, or a belief that equal opportunity exists were strongly associated with higher levels of prejudice, and cues such as focus on equity or an acknowledgement that inequality exists were associated with lower levels of prejudice. Interestingly, references to being colorblind or mentions of personal contact with Black people weren’t indicative of the white participants’ attitudes.

“This demonstrates that peoples’ use of the cues are meaningful not only for how prejudice is expressed, but also how egalitarianism is perceived,” said Brown.

Contagion effect. A third experiment had a sobering result. The researchers found that white participants reported greater prejudice towards Black people after reading statements from the self-avowed white egalitarians who scored high on underlying prejudice. In other words, the readers mirrored the attitudes of the writers, even when they identified themselves as ideologically dissimilar (conservative vs liberal).

“We don’t know reading other people’s views gave them permission to express more prejudice, or whether they thought that this is the norm and their actual prejudice level changed, but there seemed to be a contagion effect,” Rosenblum said. “One of the lessons here is that words carry weight. It does seem that this is one way that prejudice is unwittingly spread.”

- - - footnote - - -

Interview: 'The psychopathic problem of the white mind'
https://bariweiss.substack.com/p/the-psy...-the-white

-EXCERPT- Dr. Aruna Khilanani: In some places things are starting to change, in other places, they really can’t reflect on themselves because there’s a lot to lose. I have a question for you.

Katie Herzog: Sure.

AK: Is what you're writing going to be from a conservative perspective?

KH: Well, I’m not conservative so, no.

AK: I ask because I actually think that conservatives are psychologically healthier.

KH: Interesting.

AK: They are more in touch with their anger and negative feelings. They can articulate it. They can say it, they’re not covering it up or like “Oh my god, I’m amazing, I love all people.” There's not all this liberal fluff of goodness. Conservatives can go there. They can say things that are uncomfortable that I think liberals would shirk at or move away from or deny.

I would feel more comfortable hanging out with Ann Coulter than a lot of liberals because she’s unlikely to do anything. She’s in contact with her anger and her hatred, and I think that needs to be worked through, don't get me wrong, for the country to heal, but she's actually in contact with those feelings that a lot of people can't say out loud and that's a safer space. Now do I agree with her? No. But liberals have no access to that at all. The thought is forbidden.

KH: It sounds like what you're saying is that you think liberals would be healthier if they expressed racism.

AK: Absolutely. Well, not racism, because racism is an action. Racism occurs in a couple situations: when you are unaware of aspects of your unconscious, then it will come out in the form of an action. So if you are not aware of your own hatred and rage, it’s going to come out in an action if the feeling is not metabolized. For people who can say that they hate something and work through that feeling, then there’s more hope there. That’s where the work really needs to happen. I can’t really help the liberal who says, “There’s no problem here.” I can't do that much with that person. This country doesn't really give white people the tools to deal with their negative feelings. (MORE - details)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What is critical race theory? (a video presented by a CRT supporter) - style C C 0 108 Nov 30, 2021 04:09 AM
Last Post: C C
  New York Tries to Revive Garment Industry, Outside the Garment District C C 0 316 Feb 8, 2017 04:26 AM
Last Post: C C