Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

The Internet's not a Splash Screen

stryder Offline
I don't know if everyone else suffers from this pet peeve, but at one point I was glad to see the death of Splash screens.

Splash screens were an early internet phenomena when most peoples connections were done via phone dial-up and were under 14.4kbps.  They signified that a site was loading and that the amount of data was large enough that it would be cache to be formatted, and in the meantime you'd stare at the rather plain splash screen while waiting.

In this day and age though most of the internet speeds are fast enough to load up the most basic of websites, so splash screens aren't necessarily.  Sure on occasion a public announcement or a newsletter popup might be acceptable as long as it's time critical (It's only there for a short duration) however with the advent of plugins for social networks, more and more of the internet is becoming obsessed with the "Sign up before you see the content" splash screen.

While it can be considered that such site operators literally want you to identify who you are and click things that prove you aren't some automated robot scouring a website list, they break the flow and continuity of the internet as a whole.  The entire ideology of the internet was the common capacity to freely share and obtain information and such splash screens literally undermine the very foundation of that ideology.

For that reason I'm starting to Ban sites that use this "In your face" and "Sign up with facebook to reveal more" method of business and I wouldn't be surprised if I'm not the only one that will spend less than five seconds either pressing back on the browser, or when it's been disabled by a website through it's engineered coding (yet another peeve) just closing down the window entirely.

The method I use for banning a website is to access the HOSTS file on my windows system located in the folder :
Code:
C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc

And adding a line with the canonical domain (subdomains should be additional entries to the main domain) and Localhost loopback within the 127.#.#.# IP range

example:
Code:
example.com 127.0.0.1
www.example.com 127.0.0.1
more.subdomains.example.com 127.0.0.1

(The same thing can be achieved with various programs that alter the file like Spybot Search & Destroy etc)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Article Internet access must become human right or we risk ever-widening inequality C C 1 71 Apr 10, 2023 12:46 AM
Last Post: Syne
  The most vulnerable place on the internet C C 0 116 Nov 7, 2022 09:25 PM
Last Post: C C
  Can democracy work on the internet? Leigha 0 100 Aug 19, 2021 09:30 PM
Last Post: Leigha
  Entire country taken offline for two days after undersea internet cable cut C C 1 556 Apr 12, 2018 05:33 PM
Last Post: Magical Realist
  Century of the crowd: Will the internet destroy us all? Foer's "World Without Mind" C C 0 308 Jan 20, 2018 07:55 AM
  Orlando Shooting Response Shows Reddit Can't Be the ‘Front Page of the Internet' C C 1 547 Jun 14, 2016 07:33 PM
Last Post: elte
  Internet denizenry + Inherent hierarchal nature of social media C C 0 597 May 20, 2016 02:06 AM
  2 bizarre / gross dietary fads of the internet community (Warning to the sensitive!) C C 0 593 Dec 16, 2015 08:01 PM
  Mexican twitter bots shut down dissent & The internet dealers of Cuba C C 0 684 Aug 24, 2015 04:08 PM