Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Geese Crossing Road

Zinjanthropos Offline

[Image: late-summer-day-on-niagara-260nw-578810803.jpg]
[Image: late-summer-day-on-niagara-260nw-578810803.jpg]

[/url]

I travel this section of road almost daily. Called the Niagara River Parkway and it runs along the Upper Niagara River from Fort Erie towards Niagara Falls. There are are many Canada Geese to be seen along this stretch of road. Many times I've stopped to let the geese saunter from one side of the road to the other. They nest along the bank and eat a lot of grass. Across the road from this location are residential homes, some worth millions and even some ordinary bungalows(at least a $million per).  These homes are separated from the road by a nature path and grassy areas. The geese like the grass there also.

Frequently the geese cross to the other side. I have yet to see a dead one on the road that's been hit by a car. Granted, the parkway is attended to by a parks service that cleans up messes and there are turkey vultures and wild foxes about that could dine on a dead goose or carry one away. What I like about these geese is that they seem to have some knowledge or understanding of what to expect from a oncoming vehicle. They're extremely cautious and one goose usually serves as the lookout for traffic and when he/she decides to move, the rest follow. Once the short migration starts they are almost unstoppable. IOW you wait until completed unless you have a mean streak.. 

I'm certain none of these geese had an ancestor even a 150 years ago that had to worry about this situation. At some point in recent history the geese have gained knowledge re traffic. Not sure if it took many deaths but somehow evolution has favoured the geese who seem to have a good working understanding of traffic. I wonder sometimes whether the geese actually know a human is controlling the object approaching them or if this is just a familiar pattern an approaching object has (i.e. slowing & stopping).  I'm sure they've seen people pop out of a vehicle to take photos. With residents and a nature path they are accustomed to seeing people. Also wonder if they know death/injury will result if careless.  If the geese are aware humans control the object then do they have enough trust in our behaviour to cross the road, but I'm wary of believing something like that. 

My mind goes back to the goose that makes the decision to cross. Is it thinking and making a rational judgement? Obviously its behaviour doesn't go unnoticed by the other geese.  What happens if a driver doesn't stop? Does the cautious behavior continue or would it require several deadly incidents to change it? 
C C Offline
(suburb of Chicago) 'It's pretty hard to accidentally hit 19 geese': Mundelein police think flock crossing roadway was struck on purpose
https://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/m...story.html
- - - - - -

Might be fewer motorists in your area that are teenagers or young substance-abusing adults seeking the thrills of law-breaking, which includes animal kill. Plus, drivers may have a predisposition to be more careful along scenic parkways just because of the "sacred ambience" stemming from a managerial presence and monitoring (even if not overtly visible 24/7).

In the US, much of today's Canada goose population is descended from groups that were bred in captivity to restore the huge numbers lost by earlier hunting and habitat loss. So there's a history of contact with and adjustment to humans, our inventions, and landscape modifications. Some of them aren't strong migrants anymore -- they'll stay put or linger longer in areas that offer good grazing and man-made or modified water resources.

In contrast to non-migratory and limited flying birds like chickens and speedy guineas, geese have an intensely navigational brain and keen senses that are always attuned to dynamic changes in their environment.

But even chickens and other domestic fowl can adapt significantly after a generation or two -- via a mother's tutelage and the rest of the older flock's cautious behavior -- to the dangers of conventional highways (compared to total newcomers who swiftly become a splat).
Zinjanthropos Offline
(Apr 20, 2021 07:00 PM)C C Wrote: (suburb of Chicago) 'It's pretty hard to accidentally hit 19 geese': Mundelein police think flock crossing roadway was struck on purpose
https://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/m...story.html
- - - - - -

Might be fewer motorists in your area that are teenagers or young substance-abusing adults seeking the thrills of law-breaking, which includes animal kill. Plus, drivers may have a predisposition to be more careful along scenic parkways just because of the "sacred ambience" stemming from a managerial presence and monitoring (even if not overtly visible 24/7).

In the US, much of today's Canada goose population is descended from groups that were bred in captivity to restore the huge numbers lost by earlier hunting and habitat loss. So there's a history of contact with and adjustment to humans, our inventions, and landscape modifications. Some of them aren't strong migrants anymore -- they'll stay put or linger longer in areas that offer good grazing and man-made or modified water resources.

In contrast to non-migratory and limited flying birds like chickens and speedy guineas, geese have an intensely navigational brain and keen senses that are always attuned to dynamic changes in their environment.

But even chickens and other domestic fowl can adapt significantly after a generation or two -- via a mother's tutelage and the rest of the older flock's cautious behavior -- to the dangers of conventional highways (compared to total newcomers who swiftly become a splat).

Along the same lines, are you likely to witness a goose swim across a gator infested waterway if that was the area they frequented or made home? I don’t think so but have no proof. 

I realize Canada geese were brought back from the edge of extinction so whatever we did to cause it, I assume hunting to extremes, then the geese did not learn anything quickly from being close to humans. Stay close, trust and adjust didn’t work for them then. Guessing that it depends whether there’s enough generations left to teach or learn.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Road Rage or hate crime? Undocumented immigrant kills Muslim girl C C 2 507 Jun 22, 2017 07:06 PM
Last Post: Zinjanthropos
  Why did the fish cross the road? C C 0 464 Dec 5, 2015 10:55 PM
Last Post: C C