Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Elon Musk has an interesting argument against UFOs

C C Offline
https://futurism.com/the-byte/elon-musk-...liens-ufos

EXCERPTS: Tesla and SpaceX CEO Elon Musk waded in to the world of UFO sightings this week, claiming his latest meme is the “strongest argument against aliens.”

[...] Musk isn’t a believer, that’s for sure. “To the best of my knowledge… there is no direct evidence [of] alien life [on Earth],” Musk told Joe Rogan in a February interview. “Honestly, I think I would know if there were aliens,” he told Rogan, to which Rogan replied, “I would hope so.”

Musk also told the podcaster that it’s a “waste of time” to search for aliens. “If they wanted us to know they would they could just show up and walk down Main Street and say ‘Hey I’m an alien. check me out,’ you know.”

[...] “That’s exactly what an alien would tweet,” one Twitter user responded to Musk’s graph... (MORE - details)
Magical Realist Offline
Modern humanity is so embedded in their unconscious paradigm of materialism and anthropocentrism that even if an alien landed on the Whitehouse lawn we'd find some reason to doubt it. It's like our collective mental construct we were programmed with has built up an immunity to the conscious Other, whatever otherwordly form it might take. People will question their own sanity before believing in a nonhuman intelligence. Indeed, maybe they SHOULD question it!
Yazata Online
(Mar 23, 2021 11:15 PM)C C Wrote: https://futurism.com/the-byte/elon-musk-...liens-ufos

EXCERPTS: Tesla and SpaceX CEO Elon Musk waded in to the world of UFO sightings this week, claiming his latest meme is the “strongest argument against aliens.”

[Image: ExIGSZ3UUAQ22gV?format=jpg&name=small]
[Image: ExIGSZ3UUAQ22gV?format=jpg&name=small]

I'm not sure that increase in camera resolution has really been exponential, more a matter of fits and starts as photographic improvements appeared. But he does have a good point, I think.

It's one of the reasons why I think that ufos are largely a matter of popular folklore. But having said that, some sightings (the 'tic-tacs') can't be dismissed quite so easily. (I'm still not convinced that they are space aliens though. They do seem to exceed any known aircraft technology though, assuming that they are real and behaved as described.)

Quote:Musk isn’t a believer, that’s for sure. “To the best of my knowledge… there is no direct evidence [of] alien life [on Earth],” Musk told Joe Rogan in a February interview.

There's plenty of evidence, thousands of ufo sightings. But I'd agree that there isn't any evidence that I find convincing.

Quote:Musk also told the podcaster that it’s a “waste of time” to search for aliens.

So Elon's against the SETI efforts? I doubt that's what he meant. My guess is that he meant that it's a waste of time to look for intelligent space aliens here on Earth. (Mainly because he doesn't believe that there are any.)

Quote:“If they wanted us to know they would they could just show up and walk down Main Street and say ‘Hey I’m an alien. check me out,’ you know.”

That doesn't exclude the possibility that they don't want us to know. Maybe like the conspiracy theories claim, they are already running things on Earth behind the scenes and don't want humans to know. Maybe they are space anthropologists/xenologists who want to study an untouched species. Or maybe they have their own alien motives and simply don't care what we know or don't know.

My own pet science-fiction narrative is that ufos might be time travelers from Earth's own future. If so, they might want to avoid changing their own past so they stick to conforming to ufo sightings that they know about from their own history and now know that they caused by their time travel.
Syne Offline
(Mar 25, 2021 05:56 PM)Yazata Wrote:
Quote:Musk also told the podcaster that it’s a “waste of time” to search for aliens.

So Elon's against the SETI efforts? I doubt that's what he meant. My guess is that he meant that it's a waste of time to look for intelligent space aliens here on Earth. (Mainly because he doesn't believe that there are any.)

Quote:“If they wanted us to know they would they could just show up and walk down Main Street and say ‘Hey I’m an alien. check me out,’ you know.”

That doesn't exclude the possibility that they don't want us to know. Maybe like the conspiracy theories claim, they are already running things on Earth behind the scenes and don't want humans to know. Maybe they are space anthropologists/xenologists who want to study an untouched species. Or maybe they have their own alien motives and simply don't care what we know or don't know.

My own pet science-fiction narrative is that ufos might be time travelers from Earth's own future. If so, they might want to avoid changing their own past so they stick to conforming to ufo sightings that they know about from their own history and now know that they caused by their time travel.

If aliens had the wherewithal to let us know of their existence, it's highly likely that they also have the wherewithal to forever keep us from finding compelling evidence of their existence. I mean, it's not like we're going to catch up to the technology of aliens supposedly that much more advanced. In which case, SETI is a waste of time and resources.

Just think about it. If aliens (or future time travelers) had the capability to reach us, nothing we can do will ever expose their existence without them allowing it. It's not like we could ever go, "aha, gotcha!" It would be like playing hide and seek with a toddler. They don't find you unless you let them.
C C Offline
(Mar 25, 2021 05:56 PM)Yazata Wrote: [...] My own pet science-fiction narrative is that ufos might be time travelers from Earth's own future. If so, they might want to avoid changing their own past so they stick to conforming to ufo sightings that they know about from their own history and now know that they caused by their time travel.

If some UFOs were genuinely inexplicable technology and not mistaken identity, then that's usually what I'm left with. Though time-travel may seem farther along the unachievable or impossible spectrum than FTL, it's easier for me to entertain entities descended from us (engineering-wise) being responsible than complex life elsewhere in the galaxy arising with similar intelligence, interests, and policies.

Other possibilities, like they are only rare statistical "miracles" temporarily popping into existence (vaguely similar to Boltzman Brains), I wouldn't count as legit technology. Even if the unstable phenomena may contingently exhibit manufactured character or machine-like features.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Article UFOs – has the narrative shifted? C C 1 72 Jun 24, 2023 07:35 PM
Last Post: Syne
  Jacques Vallée, UFOs, and the Case against ET Origins Kornee 4 192 Nov 13, 2022 08:55 AM
Last Post: Kornee
  Why science suddenly has a lot to say about UFOs and UAP C C 1 112 Sep 23, 2022 05:51 AM
Last Post: Kornee
  Evidence that Elon Musk IS Iron Man Yazata 2 102 Oct 15, 2021 04:18 AM
Last Post: Yazata
  Elon Musk's Starlink can help space aliens + Grimes says she's ready to die on Mars C C 0 83 Apr 2, 2021 02:13 AM
Last Post: C C
  Proof Aliens are Assisting Elon Musk Yazata 8 645 May 16, 2019 04:33 AM
Last Post: Yazata