Scivillage.com Casual Discussion Science Forum

Full Version: Dexter - New Blood
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Where’s CC?

Did you see that Dexter is coming back in November!?The ad is captioned with “long time, no spree.” Big Grin

I wonder though, if it’s going to still be as fresh? It was getting a bit far fetched towards the end of the last season. Far fetched ...even for Dexter’s standards. lol
As I figured, Jennifer Carpenter is only returning as part of his imagination, taking his foster father's place. Too bad they couldn't have made the whole last episode or two a part of his personal fiction. (mini- Dallas dream season style).

Wonder if they'll just ignore explaining why a creature of his memory has aged like him (barring their going to the extra expense of digital modification for every psychological session with her).

His teenage son will probably gradually get into carrying on the family tradition, after Dexter's almost certain, eventual demise in some way that supposedly better befits his fate in the fans' eyes.
I forgot about his son...

Yea, I was fine with how it wrapped up tbh, just open ended, the fans knowing Dexter would move on elsewhere to continue his behavior. But no real set destination in mind. Sometimes when films or series resurrect dead shows, the main character comes off as cartoonish. Like it loses that cult-like feel. Becomes a bit “try hard.”

We’ll have to wait and see. Wink
Well, I've watched the first two episodes so far, and I don't hate it, but don't love it. It's not terrible. I like how the plot jumps from where we left off to now, in a somewhat smooth transition.

I loved loved loved his sister, and that entire arc when she was on the show, but sorry, not as a ghost. Dodgy Just seems like they're trying too hard with that angle, if you ask me.

This just may be one of those occasions when not resurrecting a dead series is a far better idea, but it's not ....awful. I think it has places to go and room to become something...but, it has lost that raw, homespun feeling of originality, if that makes sense.
(Nov 15, 2021 10:28 PM)Leigha Wrote: [ -> ]Well, I've watched the first two episodes so far, and I don't hate it, but don't love it. It's not terrible. I like how the plot jumps from where we left off to now, in a somewhat smooth transition.

I loved loved loved his sister, and that entire arc when she was on the show, but sorry, not as a ghost. Dodgy Just seems like they're trying too hard with that angle, if you ask me.

This just may be one of those occasions when not resurrecting a dead series is a far better idea, but it's not ....awful. I think it has places to go and room to become something...but, it has lost that raw, homespun feeling of originality, if that makes sense.

EDIT: We'll catch up on it sometime this week, rather than waiting till the end of the season to binge-watch the recorded episodes.
(Nov 16, 2021 02:10 AM)C C Wrote: [ -> ]
(Nov 15, 2021 10:28 PM)Leigha Wrote: [ -> ]Well, I've watched the first two episodes so far, and I don't hate it, but don't love it. It's not terrible. I like how the plot jumps from where we left off to now, in a somewhat smooth transition. 

EDIT: We'll catch up on it sometime this week, rather than waiting till the end of the season to binge-watch the recorded episodes.

I saw your pre-edited reply but didn’t have time to post. Lol

I’ve managed my expectations at this point, but if it continues on like this, Dexter will reach cartoon status and that will be a shame. It’s almost like the actor himself doesn’t want to be there. I don’t know. Is it realistic when a violent serial killer never gets caught? Never faces justice? Perhaps that is where my mind is now - it has lost its realism, imo. Dodgy

Personally, I’d like to see Dexter get caught and perhaps an explanation of sorts as to why he listens to his “dark passenger.” Facing a trial could be intriguing, but if this series starts resembling a cheap slasher movie, it will be a waste.

You’ll have to post your thoughts here when you start bingeing it.
Okay. I finished episode 2 and the acting is great. And it’s taking a slightly different turn so I’ll give it a chance Big Grin
Due to the return of its original showrunner of the first 4 seasons, I was starting to think this revamped Dexter was going to invest in the "dark comedy" aspect of its multiple genre categories more than ever. But then it finally started getting complicated by the end of the first episode and into the second.   

What with the small town and northern, wintry rural setting (plus the opening "humor"), I saw influences from the first two seasons of Fargo.

Plus a bit of borrowing from Longmire, with regard to the nearby Seneca tribe lands and oil magnate Kurt Caldwell corresponding to powerful rancher Barlow Connally.

Who knows, if the two episodes had continued with the initial ambience of the first one, I would probably be adding Justified, too.

Hopefully Debra's "subjective ghost" will mellow out over time and contribute some other personality traits of the original character. Otherwise, that's going to get as monotonous as (wife) Abby constantly _itching at her husband in Ray Donovan.

I can fully sympathize with a sibling or a spouse having the right to angrily vent in response to the criminal antics of the applicable guy or gal (as well as the cheating pertinent to only a spousal relationship). But that's for real life -- it gets tedious in a television show if it goes on and on for most episodes. (But there are exceptions, of course, like Alice reliably dishing out zingers to Ralph in The Honeymooners. Wink)
Okay, so *maybe* I jumped to disliking this show...too soon. Big Grin

I'm actually enjoying it now, I caught up with the show over the weekend, and it's really suspenseful. I'm even liking the peaceful yet creepy effect of the ''quiet, small town'' setting. Maybe it just took a minute to get the plot going again, and for me to remember what I liked about Dexter Morgan. Also, it feels higher budget now, and strangely enough, Deb's random appearances are growing on me.
(Nov 22, 2021 07:43 PM)Leigha Wrote: [ -> ]Okay, so *maybe* I jumped to disliking this show...too soon. Big Grin

I'm actually enjoying it now, I caught up with the show over the weekend, and it's really suspenseful. I'm even liking the peaceful yet creepy effect of the ''quiet, small town'' setting.

I didn't expect Fargo (the movie, anyway) to be directly referenced in the 3rd episode. Bet I missed a Longmire allusion somewhere, too.

Quote:Maybe it just took a minute to get the plot going again, and for me to remember what I liked about Dexter Morgan. Also, it feels higher budget now, and strangely enough, Deb's random appearances are growing on me.

Yah, though my past impressions are surely warped by all the intervening years, it feels more like the old Dexter of the first four seasons (with a new setting).
Pages: 1 2 3 4