Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

People keeping their vaccines secret + Are vaccine passports a good idea?

C C Offline
Are vaccine passports a good idea?
https://www.economist.com/science-and-te...-good-idea

EXCERPT: The experiment is being watched around the world. Worried about stalled economies and restive citizens, governments have leapt on the idea of “vaccine passports” as a way to free at least some people from lockdowns. In January Joe Biden, America’s president, ordered his government to assess the idea. On March 8th the country’s guidelines about social mingling were updated to distinguish between the vaccinated and unvaccinated for the first time. The European Commission will put forward plans for a bloc-wide “digital green pass” on March 17th. Britain is considering a vaccine-passport scheme too. In some versions of the idea, the passports would include not just vaccination status, but results from infection tests, proof that the bearer had completed a period of quarantine, or exemptions from vaccination for health reasons.

Vaccine-related restrictions are not a new idea. Visitors to places where yellow fever is endemic have to prove vaccination with a “yellow card”. Immigrants to America must be vaccinated for 15 diseases listed by that country’s Department of Health before they can become permanent residents. So must children in all 50 states before attending public schools (though there are exemptions for the immuno-compromised and religious objections). In many places, similar rules apply to some health-care workers and to soldiers.

But when it comes to covid-19, not everyone is so keen. Policy experts argue that, in many countries, vaccination is moving quickly enough that passports will be only briefly useful... (MORE - details)

People are keeping their vaccines secret
https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archi...cy/618253/

EXCERPT: . . . Yet for every immunization that sparks public joy, there’s perhaps another that blips silently by, shaded with guilt, frustration, or fear. Many of the recipients of these early jabs have chosen to hide them from even close friends and family—some of the people who stand to benefit the most from the protection that immunization affords.

I spoke with more than a dozen of these covert vaccinees last week; all asked to remain anonymous. (The Atlantic agreed to these requests because they involved personal health information.) The reasons behind the vaccinees’ reticence ran the gamut: Some worried that they would be accused of line hopping; others were wary of exposing the criteria that had qualified them. A weatherman in Florida wanted to avoid being prematurely called back to the office, because he’d miss out on quality time with his family. But they were united by what we might call shot self-consciousness—the worry about how their shots will be perceived by others.

Everyone I spoke with said they were grateful to get their shots when they did. They were glad to have the protection, and happy to help quash a pandemic that just hit its one-year anniversary. This week, the CDC officially granted a new suite of enviable privileges to vaccinees, allowing them to mix with one another indoors, without masks; previous guidelines had cleared them to skip postexposure quarantines.

This problem may be fleeting. In the United States, at least, the pace of vaccination has picked up, and some countries, including China, are pushing for mandatory disclosure of immunization status from travelers. But as long as vaccine demand continues to outstrip supply, the inoculated might hesitate to reveal their status and risk their eligibility being debated among those still waiting in the queue. The vaccination rollout has forced people to consider where they fall in each state’s prioritization scheme—a strange sort of government-sanctioned meritocracy—and to square that identity with their public image. The fear that those two metrics don’t match up is enough to drive many people into hiding, and many are unsure of when, or how, they’ll decide to emerge.... (MORE)
Zinjanthropos Offline
Not hiding anything. Just got phone call saying I'm to be vaccinated in 3.5 hrs. Don't like being jabbed normally but this one I'm ok with. I don't care which one it is. I think its AstraZeneca but not worried about blood clots. I'm on permanent blood thinners every day for rest of my life so I figure that might help. Sick & tired of this pandemic and we in Ontario are locked down again as of today, for 28 days. I think its the 3rd time, lost track. People who have had vaccine say they're much more relieved and at ease. See what happens.
C C Offline
(Apr 8, 2021 05:02 PM)Zinjanthropos Wrote: Not hiding anything. Just got phone call saying I'm to be vaccinated in 3.5 hrs. Don't like being jabbed normally but this one I'm ok with. I don't care which one it is. I think its AstraZeneca but not worried about blood clots. I'm on permanent blood thinners every day for rest of my life so I figure that might help. Sick & tired of this pandemic and we in Ontario are locked down again as of today, for 28 days. I think its the 3rd time, lost track. People who have had vaccine say they're much more relieved and at ease. See what happens.

Well, don't abruptly shift to secret mode now that you have finally received it. Hope you're doing alright.

Didn't unexpectedly come down with severe side effects from the first shot, similar to what Yazata and I experienced with the second? Or that negative publicity revolving around AZ better not have turned out to be the case.

I'm going to have to revise my conceptions about immune systems declining with age if you're another person in their mid-60s and/or beyond that met adverse repercussions.
Zinjanthropos Offline
(Apr 9, 2021 06:45 PM)C C Wrote:
(Apr 8, 2021 05:02 PM)Zinjanthropos Wrote: Not hiding anything. Just got phone call saying I'm to be vaccinated in 3.5 hrs. Don't like being jabbed normally but this one I'm ok with. I don't care which one it is. I think its AstraZeneca but not worried about blood clots. I'm on permanent blood thinners every day for rest of my life so I figure that might help. Sick & tired of this pandemic and we in Ontario are locked down again as of today, for 28 days. I think its the 3rd time, lost track. People who have had vaccine say they're much more relieved and at ease. See what happens.

Well, don't abruptly shift to secret mode now that you have finally received it. Hope you're doing alright.

Didn't unexpectedly come down with severe side effects from the first shot,  similar to what Yazata and I experienced with the second? Or that negative publicity revolving around AZ better not have turned out to be the case.

I'm going to have to revise my conceptions about immune systems declining with age if you're another person in their mid-60s and/or beyond that met adverse repercussions.

Doing ok. Was AZ. I’m above the 60 line. No side effects of any consequence. I woke up last nite with aching joints but I’ve been crawling around outside last 5 days doing work around the house, so I already was sore. Trimming big tree and removing roof from pergola. Same goes for my wife and nothing going on there either. Finished my outdoor work this a.m. and been watching The Masters all day. All good. Might have to wait until July for Part 2 the nurse said. Had mine at the Rexall Pharmacy in town.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Article How a six-in-one vaccine could soon help the world get rid of polio for good C C 1 65 Jul 1, 2023 11:23 PM
Last Post: confused2
  FDA votes against Pfizer booster for general public + Grow & eat your own vaccines? C C 3 202 Sep 19, 2021 03:16 AM
Last Post: Leigha
  WHO to U.S.: Stop hogging vaccines with booster shot excuse C C 4 132 Aug 20, 2021 08:46 PM
Last Post: Syne
  Flickering acts like psychedelic drugs + Scammers inject thousands with fake vaccines C C 0 91 Jul 6, 2021 04:27 PM
Last Post: C C
  Millions are skipping their second doses of Covid vaccines C C 1 136 Apr 26, 2021 04:42 AM
Last Post: Syne
  Comparing the 3 Covid-19 vaccines in US + The 2nd COVID-19 shot triggers immune cells C C 1 165 Feb 4, 2021 01:11 AM
  Partner’s genome may affect your health + SA coronavirus mutation threat to vaccines? C C 1 203 Jan 6, 2021 10:24 PM
  Why do some people get sick all the time, while others stay in freakishly good health C C 2 187 Jun 16, 2020 07:32 PM
Last Post: stryder
  How to boost immune response to vaccines in older people C C 0 226 Mar 27, 2020 09:16 PM
  Too much of a good thing? Very high levels of 'good' cholesterol may be harmful C C 0 442 Aug 27, 2018 06:07 PM