Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

The hero who saved lives by pumping hydrogen gas into his anus

C C Offline
https://www.iflscience.com/health-and-me...-his-anus/

EXCERPTS: . . . Then, there's Dr Nicholas Senn, an absolute hero who focussed on chugging from the opposite end, so to speak. Let's not beat about the bush, he pumped a large amount of hydrogen gas into his anus all in the name of medicine.

Senn was an American surgeon who served in the Spanish-American War of 1898. At the time, when X-rays were not widespread, bullet wounds to the abdomen where the intestines or stomach were perforated were incredibly difficult to diagnose and locate. [...] Senn had seen far too many deaths of this type when he came up with a plan: he would begin to inflate the mortally wounded like a balloon. "It occurred to him that a wound in the stomach or intestine should be sought for in some such way as a plumber locates a leak in a gas pipe," a paper on the topic says.

[...] Previous experiments had shown that pumping water up there was a bad idea ... Senn opted to use hydrogen, figuring it wasn't an irritant on tissues and could be detected quite easily by setting it alight. As a bonus, any fire would merely cauterize the wound.

He first tried it on some poor unsuspecting dogs [...] As part of a series of experiments on real human patients to prove its effectiveness and safety, and partly because he was a bit curious about what it felt like, Senn inflated himself.

[...] "When the intestines and the stomach had become fully distended the feeling of distention was distressing ... A great deal of the gas escaped by eructation, which was followed by great relief..."

In essence, it was safe and felt like colic, and was relieved by farting out hydrogen. [...] The first patient with a gunshot wound he tried it on – a 27-year-old man who had been shot with a pistol – did not survive. However, it did prove to be a useful tool in locating wounds, saving many, many lives before X-ray technology became widespread, meaning that the wounded no longer had to be inflated via the rectum... (MORE - details)
Yazata Offline
When I had my colon scoped they pumped me full of air in order to distend the tubes. Very uncomfortable, barely tolerable when the scope was in all the way, felt like the mother of all stomach cramps. It wasn't their camera-scope, it was the gas. Each little spurt of gas created a stab of intense pain. I've found out that many patients are put out with anaesthesia when it's done for precisely that reason. I was farting crazily for hours afterwords.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is your gas stove bad for your health? C C 0 91 Sep 13, 2022 04:17 PM
Last Post: C C
  Genetic study confirms sarin nerve gas as cause of Gulf War illness C C 2 114 May 17, 2022 07:24 AM
Last Post: Kornee