Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Functional Rat Forelimb Grown In-Vitro

Yazata Online
Scientists at the Massachusetts General Hospital report that they have successfully grown a rat forelimb, complete with functional musculature, circulatory system and wrist joints that flex when electrically stimulated.

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2015/06/04...rown-limb/

They say that their technique should work with primate limbs too, hopefully including human arms and legs. That would allow hospitals to grow replacement arms and legs for people who have lost limbs, using those people's own cells, eliminating the need to take immuno-suppressive drugs for life as with conventional transplants.

The largest problem remaining is finding some way to splice the lab-grown limb's nerves into the nervous system of the recipient, so that he/she can feel and move it.

This is a very impressive development in my opinion. It illustrates the fundamental advances in developmental biology that are being made.
Magical Realist Online
I suppose we have the surgical know-how to attach a severed limb by now. So I guess the problem involves matching an independently grown limb to the neural network of a person's own body. Certain errors and mismatches may result. This highlights the importance of having been grown as one single organism since embryohood. All the nerves and blood vessels match up, like all the stems and capillaries of one single tree. But what mutational differences may arise between a genetically distinct limb and a body it will be attached to?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  'The "law of increasing functional information" Magical Realist 2 128 Oct 18, 2023 08:49 PM
Last Post: Magical Realist
  Article Lab-grown ‘ghost hearts’ work to solve organ transplant shortage C C 1 84 Aug 13, 2023 10:37 AM
Last Post: confused2
  Can lab-grown brains become conscious? C C 5 510 Oct 30, 2020 06:19 AM
Last Post: Zinjanthropos