Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

False Sense of Security

Zinjanthropos Online
Believing you are safe when you are not. Not necessarily life threatening decision moments but situations where you might not understand the implication of what you’re believing.

My question is: Does having a false sense of security make you more dangerous to yourself or to others?
Syne Offline
A false sense of security can make any threats more dangerous, as they will likely catch you off guard and unprepared. This might be dangerous to others in your household or social circle, due to vulnerabilities you introduce from neglect, but I'm not sure it extends far beyond that.

Well...I guess a collective false sense of security can lead to giving up rights, like guns for self-defense, freedom of speech, etc.. But that takes a whole lot of individuals with that false security.
Zinjanthropos Online
(Nov 22, 2020 07:59 PM)Syne Wrote: A false sense of security can make any threats more dangerous, as they will likely catch you off guard and unprepared. This might be dangerous to others in your household or social circle, due to vulnerabilities you introduce from neglect, but I'm not sure it extends far beyond that.

Well...I guess a collective false sense of security can lead to giving up rights, like guns for self-defense, freedom of speech, etc.. But that takes a whole lot of individuals with that false security.

How about that little computational device that follows you around wherever you go? Has the cell phone/computer given people who otherwise didn't know squat the confidence to engage with those who are knowledgeable on a subject? Is a little knowledge or, heaven forbid, a whole lot of bullshit a dangerous thing?
Syne Offline
(Nov 23, 2020 04:52 PM)Zinjanthropos Wrote:
(Nov 22, 2020 07:59 PM)Syne Wrote: A false sense of security can make any threats more dangerous, as they will likely catch you off guard and unprepared. This might be dangerous to others in your household or social circle, due to vulnerabilities you introduce from neglect, but I'm not sure it extends far beyond that.

How about that little computational device that follows you around wherever you go? Has the cell phone/computer given people who otherwise didn't know squat the confidence to engage with those who are knowledgeable on a subject? Is a little knowledge or, heaven forbid, a whole lot of bullshit a dangerous thing?

Yeah, the power of misinformation can be dangerous.
Zinjanthropos Online
(Nov 23, 2020 05:41 PM)Syne Wrote:
(Nov 23, 2020 04:52 PM)Zinjanthropos Wrote:

Yeah, the power of misinformation can be dangerous.

Big Grin Ya think.

Should skepticism be taught in schools? Take a look at the following. Sounds like it should be something I would like to hear but to be honest I have no idea who this guy is, if he has an agenda or just full of shit. I wonder if he can say his piece without asking for a donation. However this link isn't long. 

https://www.tolerance.org/magazine/bias-...is-too-far
Syne Offline
Schools use to promote critical thinking skills, but I doubt that's still a thing. The leftists largely in control of education can't stand to have their authority questioned, much like the media can't stand to have them calling the election questioned. It upsets their power.
C C Offline
(Nov 22, 2020 05:27 PM)Zinjanthropos Wrote: My question is: Does having a false sense of security make you more dangerous to yourself or to others?

There's no absolute or globally applicable answer -- it's contingent. Collateral damage can or will still matter to some degree, even if it's less than whatever harm the overconfident individual receives. Damage purely to reputation may have consequences resonating beyond the "foolish agent", if the latter has dependents (employees, family, constituents, etc).

A total social outcast who gets himself injured or killed via insufficient caution can have a minor effect on society. A hospital absorbs the costs of a homeless person (covered by the inflated prices it prepares in advance with for losses/litigation and passes on to insurers, paying patients, gov healthcare systems). The burial or cremation costs of an unclaimed body is ultimately picked-up by taxpayers and occasionally in part by unlucky funeral homes.
Leigha Offline
It may cause people to take unnecessary risks or discount the severity of risks they’re taking, by having a false sense of security. George Zimmerman comes to mind - a guy who more than likely would not have followed a teenager through his neighborhood (whom he deemed as sketchy), and then provoking a fight with said teenager, if he (George) hadn’t been carrying a gun.

This isn’t to say all gun owners think like this, but it might be more common than we think.
Syne Offline
(Nov 26, 2020 06:51 PM)Leigha Wrote: It may cause people to take unnecessary risks or discount the severity of risks they’re taking, by having a false sense of security. George Zimmerman comes to mind - a guy who more than likely would not have followed a teenager through his neighborhood (whom he deemed as sketchy), and then provoking a fight with said teenager, if he (George) hadn’t been carrying a gun.

This isn’t to say all gun owners think like this, but it might be more common than we think.

Zimmerman was acquitted. And stand your ground laws allow you to go anywhere you're legally allowed, even following suspicious people, without any duty to flee from someone threatening you. Otherwise, your freedom is limited by anyone who threatens your safety. Those who trade freedom for safety deserve neither. No one knows, for a fact, that Zimmerman provoked anything.

Everyone should feel free to go anywhere in public without fear.
Zinjanthropos Online
(Nov 26, 2020 06:51 PM)Leigha Wrote: It may cause people to take unnecessary risks or discount the severity of risks they’re taking, by having a false sense of security. George Zimmerman comes to mind - a guy who more than likely would not have followed a teenager through his neighborhood (whom he deemed as sketchy), and then provoking a fight with said teenager, if he (George) hadn’t been carrying a gun.

Interesting because both may have had a false sense of security.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Article Determinism versus free will: A false dichotomy? C C 2 73 Jan 7, 2024 09:43 PM
Last Post: Magical Realist
  Sexist “sexplanation” for men’s brilliance debunked + False memories: Surprise! C C 1 88 Dec 17, 2021 10:33 PM
Last Post: Syne
  ‘Empathy’ Is a False God Syne 15 2,002 Dec 14, 2016 03:53 PM
Last Post: Secular Sanity