Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Indian recipes

Leigha Offline
Sooo, during the lockdown, I tried my hand at butter chicken, my favorite Indian dish. I’ll post my recipe later, but I’ve come to find out from a chef at a local Indian restaurant, that he suggests less cream, a freshly baked chicken and pulverizing fresh tomatoes instead of canned. Of course, more work for me but it will be worth it! 

I also didn’t add curry to mine and his tastes better with it. 

I’ve made it roughly five times since Covid began and it’s delicious! Now if only I could learn how to make homemade Naan. Dodgy
Leigha Offline
Okay, here is ''my'' recipe version of butter chicken. Butter chicken originated in Delhi, India - and some would frown at my using heavy cream at all, but I played with a few different recipes to come up with my own, and since my first attempt, I'm only using 1/4 cup of heavy cream. The reason for the cream or yogurt in these types of dishes is to temper the heat coming from the strong blend of spices.

You'll need:
1 lb chicken (I've been cooking in a pan, skinless chicken breast, but for even better results, buy a rotisserie chicken or bake a whole chicken yourself, then remove the skin, and shred the pieces)
Plain yogurt or heavy cream
1 - 2 sticks of butter
two large onions chopped (not minced)
minced garlic
2 fresh tomatoes (pulverized)
1 small can of tomato paste (only use two teaspoons)

Spices needed:
Turmeric
Curry
Cayenne pepper
Black pepper
Pinch of salt
cinnamon
Ginger
Coriander

Start, by first cooking your chicken and setting aside. Chicken is done when it reaches 165 degrees. Using a meat thermometer has changed my life,seriously. I don't know how people are able to ''guess'' when their meats are done cooking, simply by eye-balling it.

Then, in another deep sauce pan, take a little olive oil and half stick of butter and melt in pan. Add your garlic and chopped onions, and stir until golden. Then, add your pulverized tomatoes (or if you're lazy like me, canned tomatoes) Wink

Add a few teaspoons of tomato paste, and then add your spices above. I recommend no more than a measuring teaspoon for each spice, except the cayenne pepper. Only use 1/2 a teaspoon because it gets really hot! Add another stick of butter, and blend together in pan on medium heat. You don't want it to boil, really. Now, I like a little cream in mine, because it gives it a really smooth taste, but it's not necessary if you don't wish to temper the heat.

On a scale from 1 - 10, I like it to be around an 8 in terms of heat. The spicier the better, but you still have to be careful to not overdo your spicing, because it will overwhelm the dish, and you won't taste the beautiful blend of all the flavors.

That is the trick to Indian cooking, striking that perfect balance of seasoning. So, I recommend tasting your sauce throughout, before putting your spices away.

Once you've reached your desired heat and texture of sauce, add in your chicken. Then, add any remaining butter, and let it simmer on low heat. Covered or not, it doesn't matter.

If you can find Naan, heat it in the oven on 250 degrees, until it's slightly warm. Drizzle some olive oil and garlic with a little parsley on top.

I don't make this all that often because it's time intensive, and not low in calories by any stretch lol But, it's a fun meal to make for friends.

Oops, I almost forgot...the rice! In another pan, make rice as you normally would, to your personal liking. Butter chicken over rice with a side of Naan...it's heavenly.
stryder Offline
Naan's shouldn't be too difficult since they are unleavened. I've not made any personally however I do use Gram Flour (chickpea flour) for making a flatbread similar to "Hardtack" which I worked out just encase all I have left in my cupboard is flour etc. (Gram flour can be used as an egg subsistute in various baked foods)
Leigha Offline
Thanks, I’ll look for that at the store, not sure if my local grocery shop will carry that type of flour. But I could order it online.

My concern is not achieving that bubbly texture that I’ve come to love about Naan.
Leigha Offline
Coconut milk! That’s what my fave Indian restaurant uses. As the temps get a bit cooler, I’m getting in the mood again for butter chicken and will see if coconut milk and lessening the cream, makes a telling difference.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Infused water recipes Leigha 0 87 Aug 22, 2021 04:07 AM
Last Post: Leigha
  Share your homemade salad dressing recipes Leigha 2 747 Feb 25, 2019 03:22 AM
Last Post: Leigha
  Tried and True Recipes Secular Sanity 0 462 Aug 21, 2016 04:49 AM
Last Post: Secular Sanity