Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

New contraceptive drug makes no sense + Omega-3’s cardioprotective effects get boost

C C Offline
New contraceptive drug makes no sense
https://skepticalinquirer.org/exclusive/...-no-sense/

EXCERPTS (Harriet Hall): Many types of contraceptive are available. [...] My second favorite method is from a joke about a census taker who knocked on doors and asked what contraceptive methods people used. At one house, a very tall woman answered the door and said she relied on the saucer-and-bucket method. The census taker had never heard of it, so he asked the woman to explain. She said, “You may have noticed that I am very tall; my husband is much shorter, so he has to stand on a bucket. When his eyes get as big as saucers, I kick the bucket out.”

Over-the-counter products containing the spermicide Nonoxynol-9 have long been available; there are many varieties, including creams, foams, gels, and suppositories. [...] The FDA recently approved Phexxi (Evofem), a nonhormonal vaginal gel whose active ingredients are lactic acid, citric acid, and potassium bitartrate. It works by maintaining an acid pH in the vagina. It was approved on the basis of one single-arm trial (AMPOWER) of 1,384 women. Its main competitor would seem to be the Nonoxynol-9 gel. How do the two compare?

They are similar on many counts. [...] But there are some important differences. Spermicide gels are available over-the-counter; Phexxi requires a prescription. Spermicides cost only pennies per use; Phexxi costs $267.50 for a box of twelve single-dose prefilled applicators, which works out to over $22 for each use. The estimated failure rate for Phexxi based on the AMPOWER study was 27.6 unwanted pregnancies per 100 woman-years of use, much higher than the estimate of a 16 percent failure rate for perfect use of spermicides and 21 percent for typical use.

What was the company thinking? [...] I am still mystified. ... It seems to me this was a last-ditch effort to find an excuse to market a product that had failed to meet the company’s early expectations. I can’t imagine anyone choosing to exchange their current contraceptive for it. ... For now, this product just doesn’t make sense. It may have convinced the FDA, but it doesn’t convince me... (MORE - details)

Omega-3’s Cardioprotective Effects Given Boost by New Study
https://www.genengnews.com/news/omega-3s...new-study/

INTRO: Researchers published a new study “Effect of Omega-3 Dosage on Cardiovascular Outcomes: An Updated Meta-Analysis and Meta-Regression of Interventional Trials” in Mayo Clinic Proceedings that they claim provides the most comprehensive analysis of the role of omega-3 dosage on cardiovascular prevention to date. The team says its meta-analysis, which is an in-depth review of 40 clinical trials, provides authoritative evidence for consuming more EPA (eicosapentaenoic acid) and DHA (docosahexaenoic acid) omega-3 fats.

The research concludes that EPA and DHA omega-3 intake is associated with reduced risk of coronary heart disease (CHD) events, the cause of 7.4 million deaths globally each year, and reduced risk of myocardial infarction, including fatal heart attack.

Specifically, the study found that EPA+DHA supplementation is associated with a statistically significant reduced risk of:
  • Fatal myocardial infarction (35 percent)
  • Myocardial infarction (13 percent)
  • CHD events (10 percent)
  • CHD mortality (9 percent)
The objectives of the study were “To quantify the effect of eicosapentaenoic (EPA) and docosahexaenoic (DHA) acids on cardiovascular disease (CVD) prevention and the effect of dosage,” write the investigators. “This study is designed as a random effects meta-analysis and meta-regression of randomized control trials with EPA/DHA supplementation. This is an update and expanded analysis of a previously published meta-analysis which covers all randomized control trials with EPA/DHA interventions and cardiovascular outcomes published before August 2019... (MORE)

- - - - -
Cynical Sindee: Ha-ha-ha-hah! It was only a little over two years ago that there was a parade of research and expert opinions dismissing Omega-3 supplementation and even direct fish consumption as delivering cardiovascular benefits -- supposedly driving a stake in chest of the issue once and for all. Now it's already flip-flopping the other way again. For decades, this mad tale of cyclic vacillation about various items and subjects has been transpiring. What an unreliable and potentially corrupt joke areas of the social and biomedical sciences are! July, 2018: Omega 3 supplements have little or no heart or vascular health benefit

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Research Ultra-processed foods have disturbing health effects, large review finds C C 0 8 Mar 1, 2024 07:58 PM
Last Post: C C
  Dangerous new drug Tranq spreads across the US Magical Realist 1 69 Apr 26, 2023 04:06 AM
  Your walking speed a sign of dementia? + Omega-3 may lower blood pressure C C 1 80 Jun 2, 2022 06:53 PM
Last Post: Magical Realist
  Meta-analysis finds that omega-3 fatty acids improved cardiovascular outcomes C C 0 50 Jul 8, 2021 05:47 PM
  Low Omega-3 a predictor of early death + Excess sleep linked to breast cancer risk C C 0 80 Jun 24, 2021 11:20 PM
  New insight into how omega-3 fatty acids or fish oil supps may reduce depression C C 12 584 Jun 21, 2021 04:41 AM
Last Post: Magical Realist
  Hantavirus death + Mouthwash makes saliva acidic? + Vapor THC creates drug seeking C C 0 223 Mar 25, 2020 06:23 PM
  Prescription omega-3 lowers high triglycerides + Why do women get statins less freque C C 0 169 Aug 19, 2019 06:59 PM
  Stress appears to negate effects of healthy-type fat consumption elte 5 770 Sep 23, 2016 01:38 AM
Last Post: scheherazade
  Study on effects of bicycle helmet use elte 0 332 Jan 26, 2016 03:07 PM
Last Post: elte