Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Trump promotes deadly plant extract as covid cure

Magical Realist Offline
https://elemental.medium.com/trump-promo...d8449fb825

"Add oleandrin to bleach and hydroxychloroquine on the list of quack remedies promoted by President Donald Trump to prevent or cure Covid-19. Oleandrin is an extract of the Nerium oleander plant. And while there’s no evidence it has any beneficial effects against Covid-19, there’s ample evidence that it’s dangerous. Oleandrin is the poisonous substance in the plant.

“Consumption of only one Nerium oleander leaf may be fatal,” the Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center states on its website. The North Carolina University Cooperative Extension puts its warning in all-caps: “ALL PARTS OF THIS PLANT ARE HIGHLY TOXIC AND MAY BE FATAL.”

The MyPillow guy, Mike Lindell, put the oleandrin bug in Trump’s ear during a July meeting, according to a detailed investigative article by Jonathan Swan in Axios. Lindell is said to be a close friend of Trump; he also has a stake in Phoenix Biotechnology, the company pushing oleandrin as a Covid-19 treatment, Swan reports.

Myths often spring from some grain of plausibility. There’s evidence that oleandrin might inhibit growth of cancer cells, but that hasn’t been studied in humans. A preprint paper from July, not peer-reviewed, claims oleandrin “exhibited potent antiviral activity” against the coronavirus in a test tube. That says nothing about whether it could prevent or treat Covid-19, nor if it’s safe. One of the paper’s authors is on Phoenix Biotechnology’s advisory board, Swan writes.

“There is no published scientific evidence on the safety of consuming oleandrin,” writes Cassandra Quave, PhD, a professor at Emory University who studies medicinal plants. “It is critical that the Food and Drug Administration and its commissioner, Dr. Stephen Hahn, make certain the public is protected from this poison.”
C C Offline
Plenty of it growing in the flower gardens of MAGA country. The dumbest in a substance abuse daze will try it in the raw rather than seek supplements -- a ne'er hearin' of the MyPillow guy's company.

https://blog.gardeningknowhow.com/tbt/hi...er-plants/

Did a troop of Boy Scouts die after roasting hot dogs on oleander branches?
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/fatal-wienie-roast/

1866 entry: "The leaves are fatal to animals (horses, &c): the flowers have caused death to those who carelessly picked and ate them, and it is on record that the branches, divested of their bark, and used as skewers, have poisoned the meat roasted on them, and killed seven of twelve people who partook of it."
Syne Offline
Only morons would believe such bullshit. Yes the MyPillow guy touts it and mentioned it to Trump, but no, Trump hasn't promoted it as a cure to anything. Morons need to learn how to read more than the rags they typically frequent. If they did, they'd know that Trump never touted oleandrin and never suggested ingesting bleach.

Asked on Monday by CBS News' Paula Reid whether he's urging the Food and Drug Administration to authorize the use of oleandrin, extracted from the Nerium oleander plant, to treat the virus, the president responded, "No, I haven't." He added, "I've heard of it, yes."

And he asked Reid, "Is it something that people are talking about very strongly? We'll look at it."
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/trump-olean...xic-plant/

Which is contrary to their own click-bait headline: Trump says "we'll look at" treating COVID with an untested, toxic plant extract touted by MyPillow CEO
Morons will read the headline and never read the article.
As for ingesting bleach:

Our ruling
Biden said Trump said drinking bleach could help fight the coronavirus. Trump did not specifically recommend ingesting disinfectants, but he did express interest in exploring whether disinfectants could be applied to the site of a coronavirus infection inside the body, such as the lungs. We rate Biden’s claim Mostly False.
https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/20...ronavirus/

Zinjanthropos Offline
(Aug 22, 2020 04:17 AM)Syne Wrote: Only morons would believe such bullshit. Yes the MyPillow guy touts it and mentioned it to Trump, but no, Trump hasn't promoted it as a cure to anything. Morons need to learn how to read more than the rags they typically frequent. If they did, they'd know that Trump never touted oleandrin and never suggested ingesting bleach.

Asked on Monday by CBS News' Paula Reid whether he's urging the Food and Drug Administration to authorize the use of oleandrin, extracted from the Nerium oleander plant, to treat the virus, the president responded, "No, I haven't." He added, "I've heard of it, yes."

And he asked Reid, "Is it something that people are talking about very strongly? We'll look at it."
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/trump-olean...xic-plant/

Which is contrary to their own click-bait headline: Trump says "we'll look at" treating COVID with an untested, toxic plant extract touted by MyPillow CEO
Morons will read the headline and never read the article.
As for ingesting bleach:

Our ruling
Biden said Trump said drinking bleach could help fight the coronavirus. Trump did not specifically recommend ingesting disinfectants, but he did express interest in exploring whether disinfectants could be applied to the site of a coronavirus infection inside the body, such as the lungs. We rate Biden’s claim Mostly False.
https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/20...ronavirus/

I’m taking Syne’s side on this one. Sounds like the Biden camp is getting desperate. 

I know very little about the two candidates so I took the liberty of listening to Biden speak on Youtube. Maybe what I heard was only selected snippets from Republicans but I came away with the feeling that Biden is in the early stages of Dementia. From what I heard I could never put my X beside Biden’s name. I kept thinking that this poor soul, is not built for the presidency. Not saying Trump is but if I had to choose, in no way shape or form would I want Biden to be the man with his finger on the button. Scary.
Syne Offline
(Aug 22, 2020 04:31 AM)Zinjanthropos Wrote: I know very little about the two candidates so I took the liberty of listening to Biden speak on Youtube. Maybe what I heard was only selected snippets from Republicans but I came away with the feeling that Biden is in the early stages of Dementia. From what I heard I could never put my X beside Biden’s name. I kept thinking that this poor soul, is not built for the presidency. Not saying Trump is but if I had to choose, in no way shape or form would I want Biden to be the man with his finger on the button. Scary.

Considering that I don't believe enough Americans stupid enough to vote for him, I see it as more sad than scary. But then, I could be overestimating the intelligence of my fellow countrymen. Has happened before. But yeah, many of Biden's recent, but rare, outings have looked more like elder abuse than a viable candidate. And the Democrat National Convention was a joke. They had Elizabeth Warren (1/1024th Indian) on the Native American panel and Stacy Abrams (lost her only bid to be governor) on the Democrat Governors panel. You know, aside from Bill Clinton lecturing about what should or should not go on in the Oval Office.

I'm not sure if it's gaslighting or if that many Democrats are really that batshit stupid.
C C Offline
(Aug 22, 2020 04:31 AM)Zinjanthropos Wrote: [...] From what I heard I could never put my X beside Biden’s name. I kept thinking that this poor soul, is not built for the presidency. Not saying Trump is but if I had to choose, in no way shape or form would I want Biden to be the man with his finger on the button. Scary.

Democrats will vote for Biden, regardless -- those on the coasts perhaps even rooting for him for to get carted off to a caregiver facility before his term is over so they'll get the first woman president, and one of color to boot.

Survey had Republicans (70%) holding a six-point lead over Democrats (64%) when it comes to "enthusiasm" about voting. Gallup polling from Jul 30-Aug 12 has party affiliation going at 26% percent Republican and 31% Democrat, with 41% independent. Earlier polling back in May showed that 50% are either "Democrats or Democratic leaners" and 38% are either "Republicans or Republican leaners" when Independents are asked "do you lean more to the Democratic Party or the Republican Party?"

So the big question, as usual, is where the independents are leaning in this election's swing states, especially the silent ones resisting overt representation in the bean counting. 

Before the DNC: "Among independents, Biden also held a 52 percent lead over Trump’s 41 percent in June, but now independents are nearly evenly divided, with 46 percent backing Biden and 45 percent supporting Trump, according to CNN. Voters who said they back Trump, though, are more likely to say they may change their mind. Twelve percent of voters who said they back Trump said they may change their mind before Election Day, but just 7 percent of Biden supporters said the same, based on the poll." (Biden's lead over Trump narrows in new national poll)

- - - Are there really vulnerable Republicans to sway?

Nick Licata: Rick Wilson has worked to elect Republicans for thirty years, but he will “no longer use those skills to serve the party I once loved. That party is gone.” He has not become a Democrat, but he is adamantly anti-Trump.

[...] From his prior experience in leading Republican campaigns, he [Rick Wilson] believes that Trump’s advisors want to “make this election about a core package of issues, NOT a referendum on Trump’s personality, leadership and accomplishments.” Consequently, if democrats run on detailed policies they will be appealing to the brain and lose, instead they need to appeal to the heart by focusing on Trump’s faults.

In brief, Wilson is saying that Trump is a flawed president, but a clever one who has brilliantly exploited the Grievance Culture of “Everyone is coming to get you.” They are the immigrants, Black Lives Matter, Anitfa, Muslims, women and Sloths — Wilson’s dry, cutting humor graces every page.

Running Against the Devil will probably not convince many Republicans to vote against Trump. Also, Wilson’s advice to the Democrats runs directly counter to the progressive drift of the party, which pushes a progressive agenda to the front lines, no matter what surveys say about its effectiveness in getting votes in the swing states that won the election for Trump.

Wilson may convince Democrats that Biden’s victory is not about a popular vote. Hilary Clinton got that and still lost. Trump made the election about her, not her policies. Wilson knows how that was done, and he is doing it now to Trump. He has co-founded the Lincoln Project with other well-known Republicans to produce and run attack ads against the president. By provoking anxiety and fear about Trump, they hope to persuade enough disaffected conservatives, Republicans and Republican-leaning independents in swing states to abandon him and perhaps even vote for Biden.
(Defecting From Trump’s GOP)
Zinjanthropos Offline
https://nationalpost.com/news/joe-biden-...cf221/amp/

By coincidence the above article is trending this a.m. Either that or Google is watching my every move. Whether or not the story is true is a matter of opinion. There’s only so many ways to say the same thing so an accusation of plagiarism may be a stretch.

Back to topic.... This thought occurred to me last night....What party stands to gain the most in the US election by way of current COVID policies? Is it more important to allay the fears and just let the disease rampage through the population? I keep thinking both parties need the voters not to be afraid to enter the voting booth. I mean who’s more likely to be less afraid, the upper educated classes or the lower uneducated masses? Does what looks like the herd mentality benefit Trump more than Biden? If there’s more of a ‘we got nothing to lose mentality’ amongst poor electorate is it in the best interest of Republicans or Democrats to have the disease run its course? IOW ...... A pandemic during an election year was an unfortunate piece of bad timing for one of the parties.
C C Offline
(Aug 22, 2020 12:39 PM)Zinjanthropos Wrote: https://nationalpost.com/news/joe-biden-...cf221/amp/

By coincidence the above article is trending this a.m. Either that or Google is watching my every move. Whether or not the story is true is a matter of opinion. There’s only so many ways to say the same thing so an accusation of plagiarism may be a stretch.

Yah, no big deal. MLK supposedly did a little of that, with criticism about it being taboo (like the extramarital affairs). Probably many politicians and crusaders do who are more competent at disguising so-called "plagiarism", as well as artists ("I steal from the best!" --Tommy Emmanuel .... "Many of the events that we have witnessed in Game of Thrones so far look similar to incidents from real history. Has George RR Martin borrowed liberally from English, Scottish and European history of the last 1000 years, and added fire-breathing dragons and ‘undead’ to weave a fantasy narrative? Well, may be. Let’s take a look..." --Nivedita Mishra).

Backtracking to MLK, Biden is kind of an honorary Black with respect to immunity -- for his gaffes, especially (though he still can't use the "N" word like rappers can). It was Black voters who revived his all but sunken ship during the primaries, preferring him to literal candidates of color that were running.

Quote:Back to topic.... This thought occurred to me last night....What party stands to gain the most in the US election by way of current COVID policies? Is it more important to allay the fears and just let the disease rampage through the population? I keep thinking both parties need the voters not to be afraid to enter the voting booth. I mean who’s more likely to be less afraid, the upper educated classes or the lower uneducated masses? Does what looks like the herd mentality benefit Trump more than Biden? If there’s more of a ‘we got nothing to lose mentality’ amongst poor electorate is it in the best interest of Republicans or Democrats to have the disease run its course? IOW ...... A pandemic during an election year was an unfortunate piece of bad timing for one of the parties.

Superficially, Trump haters appear to obediently, behaviorally go with the flow of pandemic advice and rules issued by experts and authority -- and are fine or desirous with more of it (gung-ho with Biden's assertions of what he will do). With Trump lovers, of course, taking off wildly in the opposite direction of expressing contempt for practices, and defiance.

Zooming in from the neatness of such broad generalizations, though, it's surely much messier at the grainy level of everyday life. Those of us standing analytically indifferent, disenchanted, or in-between on the sidelines will by definition appear unkempt at both apparent and magnified scales.

Trump is right out in the open about being a sphincter (in addition to not fooling anybody when he lies about whatever _X_ -- it's almost a comedian act). Whereas Biden may tend to have a deceptive cloud of hypocrisy hanging over him, because he seriously wants to portray himself as a bona fide paladin in social contexts or whatever. So Trump ironically taps into that percentage of people who respect somebody for openly being who they, even when they're the County Azzo.
Syne Offline
(Aug 22, 2020 12:39 PM)Zinjanthropos Wrote: https://nationalpost.com/news/joe-biden-...cf221/amp/

That's trending everywhere, and like you, plagiarism seems a stretch to me.

Quote:Back to topic.... This thought occurred to me last night....What party stands to gain the most in the US election by way of current COVID policies? Is it more important to allay the fears and just let the disease rampage through the population? I keep thinking both parties need the voters not to be afraid to enter the voting booth. I mean who’s more likely to be less afraid, the upper educated classes or the lower uneducated masses? Does what looks like the herd mentality benefit Trump more than Biden? If there’s more of a ‘we got nothing to lose mentality’ amongst poor electorate is it in the best interest of Republicans or Democrats to have the disease run its course? IOW ...... A pandemic during an election year was an unfortunate piece of bad timing for one of the parties.
The Democrats party stands to gain the most from the economy being a wreck from Covid lock downs. That's why they are staying locked down, in Democrat cities and states, even as they reach days of zero deaths. And their comrades in the media work to keep everyone scared. We STILL don't know the accurate death rate of Covid, as the CDC counts deaths "with" Covid instead of deaths "from" Covid. And media/social media is trying to quash any good news on the subject, like lower infection percent to reach herb immunity, treatments that don't line big pharma pockets, etc..

And not only does a poor economy tend to hurt incumbent Presidents, lock downs are an excuse for mail-in voting, which has proven highly vulnerable to voter fraud (a judge just ordered a NJ city to redo their election, after 20% of their votes were disqualified and 4 people indicted for voter fraud) and unintentional voter disenfranchisement. Even though Fauci and others say voting in person is fine, with masks and social distancing. Dems are preparing their excuse for when they lose, claiming Trump "sabotaged" the US postal service...just like their Russia collusion lies last time.

They certainly have not let this crisis go to waste...even making it worse (with people dying due to lock downs). But even so, the polls are no better for Biden than they were for Hillary.

(Aug 22, 2020 06:38 PM)C C Wrote: Backtracking to MLK, Biden is kind of an honorary Black with respect to immunity -- for his gaffes, especially (though he still can't use the "N" word like rappers can). It was Black voters who revived his all but sunken ship during the primaries, preferring him to literal candidates of color that were running. 
Except when he says blacks can't think for themselves, directly to a black man. And it's only media malfeasance that more people don't know he doubled down on that and even asked a black journalist if he was on cocaine and a junkie. And that's just in the last month or so, which neglects him saying "poor kids are just as smart as white kids", Obama was the first "clean" black candidate, etc..
stryder Offline
As an outsider to US politics I can't really say much on the subject. Sure I could say certain politicians (And fake news ones) seem to come across as completely ignorant or incapable, but that's just an opinion or perception of mine and not something that I'd want to subjugate those that listen to me with. I dare say though there is a lot of dirty politics in regards to how things seem to be perceivably done and it makes you question as to what limitations that such dirt actually has.

Who's to say for instance if Biden is suffering from dementia. The right kind of equipment can broadcast frequencies that effect the brain, either potentially allowing the implantation of sound which might be considered commands (Like Trumps habitual ill thought out twitter posts) or even just as a disruptive mechanism to undermine the functionality of a person (Such as Bidens pauses). Of course it will all be denied as some crazy theory that such equipment is in use, but it's the state of the world now.

(*Such operations could be done by foreign and/or domestics)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Article Should we use CRISPR to cure mental illness? + Can climate policy change the weather? C C 1 85 Aug 24, 2023 08:57 PM
Last Post: Magical Realist
  Article Deadly global heatwaves undeniably result of climate crisis, scientists show C C 0 52 Jul 26, 2023 09:37 PM
Last Post: C C
  Article Biden promised a ‘war on cancer’ — but declared war on the cure instead C C 0 59 Jul 7, 2023 07:39 PM
Last Post: C C
  With COVID-19 surging, Trump wants science to move far faster. It can’t. C C 16 716 Mar 24, 2020 06:26 AM
Last Post: Magical Realist