Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

The forgotten mine that built the atomic bomb

C C Offline
https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20200...tomic-bomb

EXCERPTS: Shinkolobwe is [...] this small mine in the southern province of Katanga, in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) ... The Shinkolobwe mine – named after a kind of boiled apple that would leave a burn if squeezed – was the source for nearly all of the uranium used in the Manhattan Project, culminating with the construction of the atomic bombs dropped on Japan in 1945.

But the story of the mine didn’t end with the bombs. Its contribution to the Little Boy and Fat Man has shaped the DRC’s ruinous political history and civil wars over the decades that followed. Even today the mine’s legacy can still be seen in the health of the communities who live near it. “It’s an ongoing tragedy,” says Susan Williams, who has examined the role of Shinkolobwe in her book Spies in the Congo. She believes there needs to be greater recognition of how the exploitation and desire to control the mine’s contents by Western powers played a role in the country’s troubles.

[...] The story of Shinkolobwe began when a rich seam of uranium was discovered there in 1915, while the Congo was under colonial rule by Belgium. There was little demand for uranium back then: its mineral form is known as pitchblende, from a German phrase describing it as a worthless rock. Instead, the land was mined by the Belgian company Union Minière for its traces of radium, a valuable element that had been recently isolated by Marie and Pierre Curie.

It was only when nuclear fission was discovered in 1938 that the potential of uranium became apparent. After hearing about the discovery, Albert Einstein immediately wrote to US president Franklin D Roosevelt, advising him that the element could be used to generate a colossal amount of energy – even to construct powerful bombs. In 1942, US military strategists decided to buy as much uranium as they could to pursue what became known as the Manhattan Project. And while mines existed in Colorado and Canada, nowhere in the world had as much uranium as the Congo.

“The geology of Shinkolobwe is described as a freak of nature,” says Tom Zoellner, who visited Shinkolobwe in the course of writing Uranium – War, Energy, and the Rock that Shaped the World. “In no other mine could you see a purer concentration of uranium. Nothing like it has ever been found.”

Mines in the US and Canada were considered a “good” prospect if they could yield ore with 0.03% uranium. At Shinkolobwe, ores typically yielded 65% uranium... (MORE - details)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  WWII: The forgotten Rape of Manila + SLA: the rise & fall of a leftist terror group C C 0 75 Feb 3, 2023 07:00 PM
Last Post: C C
  Built by an unknown culture, this is the oldest sun observatory in the Americas C C 0 49 Mar 30, 2022 05:21 PM
  1980 shapes biotech + Eradicate bears (1969) + Forgotten Black area + Giant cat found C C 0 98 Oct 19, 2020 08:27 PM
  Over 12,000-yrs-old: Was Göbekli Tepe built by hunter-gatherers, Atlantis or aliens? C C 0 127 Jun 11, 2020 09:35 AM
  The Forgotten Plans to Reach the Moon—Before Apollo C C 2 285 Jul 24, 2019 05:50 PM
Last Post: Yazata
  The monster atomic bomb that was too big to use C C 2 659 Aug 18, 2017 08:13 PM
  NASA’s “Rocket Girls” Are No Longer Forgotten History C C 0 544 Apr 17, 2016 02:18 AM
  10 Forgotten American Heroes of WWI C C 0 483 Nov 12, 2015 01:30 AM