Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

The absurd man, the absurd universe, the absurd world

zhangjinyuan Offline
The absurd man, the absurd universe, the absurd world

We don't know where this world came from, who created this world and this world was born

Scientists tell us that the big Bang gave birth to the universe. We don't know what was before the Big Bang. We don't know who created the world

We find that earth seems to be the only planet that has life, and humans seem to be the only creatures that can think about technology

We want to live, we want to breed, we want to find out, why is the world here, why are we here, what are we doing, what is the world doing

Unfortunately, we find that human beings are always fighting. It seems that only scientists are interested in the world. The rest of us are immersed in life to find their meaning and happiness, while the real scientists are unable to explore the two things that human beings define: money and power

We search for meaning, we breed, we keep trying to find where we've come from, where we're going

Scientists have told us something very bad. When we die, we have nothing. This causes us to feel fear, a very serious sense of nothingness

Scientists also tell us that the Earth could be destroyed by black holes, gamma-ray bursts, meteorites and other disasters at any time

Scientists also tell us that the universe also has a lifetime, tens or hundreds of billions of years later, the universe will die

This fear haunts us deeply

We find that the people around us are completely immersed in life. No one seems to care about it. Instead, we think that people who have such thoughts are "crazy".

If the end is doomed, then why this world 1 was born in the first place? Birth is not enough. Why is there life, a human being who can think and fear to experience such fear? Why am I born?

When it is over, our city, our country, our earth, the universe, the whole world does not exist

So why did the universe, the world 1 exist once in the first place? For us creatures, all matter is to experience the universe once and then all disappear??

?????

I cry every day, if no one died, the world would be a better place,

However, I am just a small person, can not change anything

So, this world is ridiculous!!
stryder Offline
I tend to think of it more like that the universe is a sandbox, where the only limitations are the imagination and perseverance.  It can be seen that the universe is an extremely hostile place, with lots of empty space between barren worlds and dying stars. While that stark reality is not beyond our comprehension it is however beyond our reach.  (only the rich or state-puppeted currently venture beyond our planet, or those with the fortitude for a vivid imagination.)

That is the main reason why the world has people shuffling around in a blissful ignorance which is occasionally broken by them turning their gaze on thing when their collective interest is peaked.  (e.g. global warming, covid, terrorism etc)

Why do we exist?  Well there is the straight forwards "birds and the bees" analogy, your existence is potentially the result of two lovers conspiring to make the universe a little more interesting and a little less dead.

As I mentioned though, it's a sandbox, you can build what you want to build (within reason) and do quite a few things (within law), your limitations are of your own design (although sometimes they are designed by other people). So you shouldn't dwell on the macabre nature of surrealism but look for light and inspiration in achieving a goal as lofty as you are willing to choose to undertake.

Paint, write, sing, inspire others, climb mountains, swim seas you don't have to be limited by your imagination (which itself is boundless).
Secular Sanity Offline
(Jul 27, 2020 01:42 PM)zhangjinyuan Wrote: So, this world is ridiculous!!

It is, and mine isn't perfect, but I still like it.

I’m an atheist but there are few words of wisdom in the bible. For example, I find comfort in knowing that we will not taste death. We know that we will die but the dead know not anything. Vanity of vanities! All is vanity, but if there’s no creator, there’s nothing stopping us from enjoying our portion. If this is all that there is, why not revel in your days of your vanity? Not in a hedonistic manner, of course, because pursuing pleasure can interfere with experiencing it, but you get the idea.

Welcome to the forum, BTW. I do have some interesting references regarding your other topic. Unfortunately, I’ll be a little busy this week. I’ll try to return to it when I get a chance though.
C C Offline
(Jul 27, 2020 01:42 PM)zhangjinyuan Wrote: The absurd man, the absurd universe, the absurd world

We don't know where this world came from, who created this world and this world was born [...] So why did the universe, the world 1 exist once in the first place?

Why we're here, both as a group and distinct individuals, as well as this particular kind of reality and its tendencies? If going by what's arguably one of the dogmatic operating preconditions of the scientist -- or rather, what should actually be a consequence of that thought orientation... Then I'd say that I'm here because I have no choice but to be here.

If existence in its entirety is prescribed as flamingly non-intelligent or lacking a constitution conforming to such (with a few biological and artificial exceptions), then it follows that one should be attributing as little biased selection-making to it as possible. That's why I do personally tend to favor existence being a near-endless exhaustion of all structural and qualitative possibilities, due to a lack of motivated preferences. Whether that amounts to a multi-verse or some rival conception.

Narrowly and locally (what we are familiar with) there may be general "rules" and principles that can be abstracted from the surrounding specifics and events -- as if they're obeying a ubiquitous, prejudiced management. But if the overall "picture" beyond human horizons could be "seen", it might instead be realization of all mathematical (orderly) and anarchic circumstances (random). Again, the "all possibilities" allowed via zero selectivity (no quasi-intelligence, no forbidding).

The cosmos has been dramatically increasing over and over beyond the expectations of bygone eras of humanity. For instance, our Milky Way galaxy was once regarded as the universe, until the 1920s finally torched that belief to ashes. (Edmond Hamilton's early space-opera "Outside the Universe" was written during that decade -- the title echoing that prior, vanquished conviction.) So when the occasional scientist raises Ockham's Razor like a staff of Moses to try to halt the waters of plenitude, it's quite hilarious the skeptic has bonded so reverently with the God of Parsimony. Despite existence having relentlessly demonstrated in the past that it impiously doesn't give a flip.

Quote:For us creatures, all matter is to experience the universe once and then all disappear??

We don't really disappear in the supposed objective context of scientific realism or physics' overall history of descriptively favoring eternalism over presentism (philosophy of time), treated as actual. Barring periods of dreamless sleep and comas, we can't even disappear in the psychological continuum of our own minds, if consciousness ceases after death. That is, we can never experience death or non-existence, we're always between the boundaries of fetal life at one end and demise at the other.

Now, in terms of alternative metaphysical beliefs, it might be that there is no mind-independent world -- only synchronized monads (Leibniz) and their regulated, internal narratives conforming to the idea or formulaic system of a material world.
Even in that context, though, there would still be the monad's psychological continuum (when applicable as in correlating to a brain instead of a rock). A kind of phenomenal block-universe or multiverse version of the latter (as an option) in contrast to the physics counterpart expressed by quantitative description.
confused2 Offline
Channeling Tolkien-
Death is a gift.
Constant Renewal.
Constant Spring
Constant Summer
Also Autumn.
And Winter.
Without death the World would fill up with dotty old people moaning about how things have gone downhill since they were young and renting out houses to snowflakes at ridiculously high rents and getting richer and richer for no purpose whatsoever.
zhangjinyuan Offline
(Jul 27, 2020 04:06 PM)Secular Sanity Wrote:
(Jul 27, 2020 01:42 PM)zhangjinyuan Wrote: So, this world is ridiculous!!

It is, and mine isn't perfect, but I still like it.

I’m an atheist but there are few words of wisdom in the bible. For example, I find comfort in knowing that we will not taste death. We know that we will die but the dead know not anything. Vanity of vanities! All is vanity, but if there’s no creator, there’s nothing stopping us from enjoying our portion. If this is all that there is, why not revel in your days of your vanity? Not in a hedonistic manner, of course, because pursuing pleasure can interfere with experiencing it, but you get the idea.

Welcome to the forum, BTW. I do have some interesting references regarding your other topic. Unfortunately, I’ll be a little busy this week. I’ll try to return to it when I get a chance though.
The world was born out of nowhere, and it didn't have to be born out of earth and living things and human beings,

1 universe big bang and then destroy, since human beings are small, the whole process since human beings can not be changed, then why from simple particles combined into complex organisms and intelligent organisms

If the creation of the universe is a coincidence, the solar system is a coincidence, the emergence of mankind, you and I are also a coincidence, this is too coincidence

I'm an atheist, but we think from beginning to end, how absurd the whole thing is

It was as if man had been born to feel the pain of the world

I'm even a little bit of a believer, including Elon Musk, that the world is probably simulated, virtual, made, but if it is, we're not going to know the answer, so we're going to have to believe that it's all random

The cause of all this is the priming of the universe before the Big Bang, whether man-made or coincidental, purposeful or not

I still hope we can find this out before we die

If we are indeed created and simulated, pray that he will cease, not once in a cycle of birth, destruction, and torturing creatures and intelligent beings

If it's a coincidence, I don't know how to describe it
zhangjinyuan Offline
(Jul 27, 2020 02:23 PM)stryder Wrote: I tend to think of it more like that the universe is a sandbox, where the only limitations are the imagination and perseverance.  It can be seen that the universe is an extremely hostile place, with lots of empty space between barren worlds and dying stars. While that stark reality is not beyond our comprehension it is however beyond our reach.  (only the rich or state-puppeted currently venture beyond our planet, or those with the fortitude for a vivid imagination.)

That is the main reason why the world has people shuffling around in a blissful ignorance which is occasionally broken by them turning their gaze on thing when their collective interest is peaked.  (e.g. global warming, covid, terrorism etc)

Why do we exist?  Well there is the straight forwards "birds and the bees" analogy, your existence is potentially the result of two lovers conspiring to make the universe a little more interesting and a little less dead.

As I mentioned though, it's a sandbox, you can build what you want to build (within reason) and do quite a few things (within law), your limitations are of your own design (although sometimes they are designed by other people).  So you shouldn't dwell on the macabre nature of surrealism but look for light and inspiration in achieving a goal as lofty as you are willing to choose to undertake.

Paint, write, sing, inspire others, climb mountains, swim seas you don't have to be limited by your imagination (which itself is boundless).
I started to doubt
1 The universe needs our information as expanding dark energy, especially negative information, such as our pain
2 We are made by higher creatures for fun, or like the first one, we need to generate pessimistic emotions to transform them into energy for their world to operate
Zinjanthropos Offline
Quote:1 The universe needs our information as expanding dark energy, especially negative information, such as our pain

2 We are made by higher creatures for fun, or like the first one, we need to generate pessimistic emotions to transform them into energy for their world to operate

Sad  Huh.

Be aware of your insignificance. Creators playing games with each of us is like me being aware of a certain sub atomic particle among countless others that make up a golf ball. That’s just a low estimate, I could be 10 pin bowling.
C C Offline
(Jul 28, 2020 03:31 AM)zhangjinyuan Wrote: [...] I'm even a little bit of a believer, including Elon Musk, that the world is probably simulated, virtual, made, but if it is, we're not going to know the answer, so we're going to have to believe that it's all random ...

presentism, possibilism, and eternalism illustrated (Sean Carroll blog)
https://www.preposterousuniverse.com/blo...y-of-time/

The presentism interpretation of time entails the world being a simulation or process since the cosmos in that context is literally being made or outputted in a sequence of ephemeral steps that replace each other (only the state receiving the title of "now" exists and then expires when a new one takes its place). One might say that each change is equivalent to the last one reproducing itself (but with slight modifications), as in the Game of Life (cellular automata). But the latter does not magically float on its own (it depends upon the underlying apparatus performing operations), and accordingly the short-lived changes of the world taking place in presentism would require some prior-in-rank level regulating and generating them in terms of rules and being caused.

In contrast, the eternalism interpretation of time simply has all the different states of the cosmos co-existing, in whatever relativistic complexity is applicable. The contradiction of causation being treated as more fundamental than existence is eliminated. The supposed "flow of time" is not objective, but just another secondary or subjective property or qualia of consciousness. Hermann Weyl: "The objective world simply IS, it does not HAPPEN. Only to the gaze of my consciousness, crawling upward along the life line [worldline] of my body, does a certain section of this world come to life as a fleeting image in space which continuously changes in time." --Philosophy of Mathematics and Natural Science

The third option of time interpretations (variously called the "growing past", growing block-universe [GBU], possibilism, etc) inevitably slides into one of the other two. Due to its past either being superfluous if people are philosphical zombies there (i.e., collapsing into presentism) or due to its past exemplifying the same situation as eternalism (i.e., people are not philosophical zombies in its past).

Apart from the question of simulation, a further gist of this is that it is more or less folly for us to ponder "what's going" ontologically without taking into account or settling the nature of time. Figuratively, it's crudely akin to us entering a polling place without having registered to vote beforehand, before the deadline. But that is pretty much just what we do, over and over again... metaphysics just chasing its tail.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why the constant trashing of antidepressants is absurd C C 13 984 Jul 13, 2019 09:31 PM
Last Post: Syne