Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philosophy cannot resolve the question ‘How should we live?’ (spiritual language)

C C Offline
https://aeon.co/ideas/philosophy-cannot-...ld-we-live

EXCERPT: (David Ellis): The question How should we live? is one that many ask in a crisis, jolted out of normal patterns of life. But that question is not always a simple request for a straightforward answer, as if we could somehow read off the ‘correct’ answer from the world. This sort of question can be like a pain that requires a response that soothes as much as it resolves. It is not obvious that academic philosophy can address such a question adequately.

[...] The presence of a humanness, or a depth, to these sorts of questions comes not just from the context in which they’re asked, but also from their origin, their speaker. They are real questions for real people, and shouldn’t be dismissed with a logical flourish or treated like an interesting topic for a seminar. I would laugh if I heard a computer ask How should we live? ... but I would cry to hear a wife ask her husband, on the death of their son, How should we live? Although the same words have been uttered, these questions have a different form: the mother’s question contains a qualitative depth, a humanness that isn’t there in the computer’s question.

[...] Consider, for example, what atheists mean by ‘soul’ when they refute the cognitive proposition that asserts the literal existence of souls, in comparison with what I mean when I describe slavery as soul-destroying. If atheists were to argue that slavery cannot be soul-destroying because souls don’t exist, then I would say that there’s a meaning here that’s lost on them by being overly literal. If the statement ‘Slavery is soul-destroying’ is forced into a purely cognitive form, then not only does it misrepresent what I mean to say, it actively prevents me from ever saying it.

I want to express something that represents the depth of the sort of experience I’m having: this isn’t a matter of making an implied statement about whether or not souls exist – it’s not affected by the literal existence or non-existence of souls. This sort of meaning to spiritual language is found at a different dimension to where cognitivists look, irrespective of their atheism [...]

When considering how to answer the question How should we live?, we should first reflect on how it is being asked – is it a cognitive question looking for a literal matter-of-fact answer, or is it also in part a non-cognitive spiritual remark in answer to a particular human, and particularly human, situation? This question, so often asked by us in times of crisis and despair, or love and joy, expresses and indeed defines our sense of humanity... (MORE - details)
Magical Realist Offline
I also use the word soul in a non-literal more spiritual sense. It encompasses for me the deep humanizing aspect of life, rich with meaning and self-awareness. A person's soul isn't their immortal disembodied self. It is their human totally embodied self, grounded in value and filled with feeling and self-discovery.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Simple Question Zinjanthropos 7 204 Jan 29, 2024 01:02 AM
Last Post: Syne
  Were spiritual rites in the Devil’s Church in Koli based on acoustic resonance? C C 0 148 Nov 27, 2023 06:47 PM
Last Post: C C
  Sports as a spiritual experience Magical Realist 2 112 Sep 10, 2023 08:15 PM
Last Post: Magical Realist
  Riding the wild wave of a spiritual emergency Magical Realist 2 116 May 21, 2023 07:44 PM
  Most people don’t really want to be happy (spiritual bliss) C C 1 130 Sep 28, 2022 08:58 PM
Last Post: Leigha
  Can mathematics be spiritual? C C 1 94 May 7, 2022 06:42 PM
  20 years of Catholic baptisms in question after Arizona priest changes 1 word C C 10 238 Feb 20, 2022 06:38 PM
Last Post: Syne
  Scientists carry greater credibility than spiritual gurus C C 3 111 Feb 11, 2022 08:51 PM
  Redwood forest returned to Native American tribes (spiritual reclamation) C C 0 57 Jan 26, 2022 07:09 AM
Last Post: C C
  The spiritual consciousness of Christof Koch (interview) C C 1 106 Oct 15, 2021 11:45 PM