Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Future of Pro Sports......lol

Zinjanthropos Offline
This is just off the top of my head. I was thinking the other day whether it was possible to actually, and with some accuracy, use computers to simulate the remaining professional Basketball, Hockey, and Soccer seasons. Any sporting event for that matter from March Madness to the Olympics. Then this other thought occurred to me.... what if all sport was completely simulated. 

I'm really hinting at sports played by individuals who've reached the legal age (adulthood). Until that age is reached amateurs actually play sports against other athletes. Except that there is a massive database that contains all the information on every player who ever physically took part in sports. Of course this is with permission of parents/legal guardians and would include personal player stats like weight, height, etc along with career statistics and possibly certain personality traits. 

When players become of legal age they are entered into a draft where professional teams from an established simulation league select players. The selected players are paid if they make the team and how their simulated persona performs. No pro actually physically competes. The leagues do business the same way as today only without live players. Packed stadiums/theatres to view the Jumbotron or TV packages. No medical staff required at least.  

Of course the simulation must reflect real life and I'm sure there would be big time regulation, even gov't involvement to keep it honest. Think it could happen?
C C Offline
Well, if Millennial culture should embrace mass quarantine, shortage of goods, and economic deprivation as a semi-regular ritual of society from this point on... That is, a fashionable virtue posturing advancing "daycare for adults" and obeisance to Green austerity which is triggered every time any modest threat rounds the corner...

Then all the shut-downs of stadium sports may very well engender something like that.

Sports itself is a kind of substitute for real battlefields, so it calls to mind that Star Trek episode A Taste of Armageddon, where a war between two planets was carried out by computer simulation.

Though it currently depends upon data from players that actually perform, fantasy football is already consensus imagination in terms of everything else. Would just take an "upgrade" in terms of replacing the players with their algorithm equivalents. When it leaped in popularity back in the '90s, the Sports Babe and others bashed FF as a game for losers without a life. But the novelty spread so much that it's now blamed for wasted productivity.
Zinjanthropos Offline
CC...Even in that Star Trek episode, real people died I think.

I imagine the great game creators of today could each come up with some fictional players and actually form a simulated sports league. I don’t know what kind of parameters might be involved but I’m thinking they could do it.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  U.S. cities with pro sports see more flu deaths C C 0 98 Jun 18, 2020 10:59 PM
Last Post: C C
  When will sports come back? Will the pro & college industry even survive? C C 0 130 May 4, 2020 05:15 AM
  Solution to doping in sports + How the buzz of dancing and sports bonds us together C C 0 948 Jul 25, 2016 04:01 AM