Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Physicists hope for ‘ideal glass’ that would explain enigmatic nature of glass

C C Offline
https://www.quantamagazine.org/ideal-gla...-20200311/

INTRO: In 2008, Miguel Ramos read in the newspaper that 110-million-year-old amber bearing pristine Mesozoic insects had been discovered a few hours’ drive from Madrid, where he lived. A physicist who specializes in glass, Ramos had wanted for years to get his hands on ancient amber. He contacted the paleontologists working at the site, who invited him to visit. “They provided me with the clear samples that are not good for them,” he said. “They have no interesting insects or whatever … but they are perfect for me.”

Ramos spent the next several years intermittently working on measurements of the ancient glass. He hoped that the fossilized tree resin, after aging for so long, might approach a hypothetical form of matter known as ideal glass.

For decades, physicists have dreamed of this perfect amorphous solid. They desire ideal glass not so much for its own sake (though it would have unique, useful properties) but because its existence would solve a deep mystery. It’s the mystery posed by every window and mirror, every piece of plastic and hard candy, and even the cytoplasm that fills every cell. All of these materials are technically glass, for glass is anything that’s solid and rigid but made of disordered molecules like those in a liquid. Glass is a liquid in suspended animation, a liquid whose molecules curiously cannot flow. Ideal glass, if it exists, would tell us why.

Inconveniently, ideal glass would take so long to form that it may not have done so in all of cosmic history. Physicists can only seek indirect evidence that, given unlimited time, it would. Ramos, an experimental physicist at the Autonomous University of Madrid, hoped that after 110 million years of aging, the Spanish amber might have started to show glimmers of perfection. If so, he would know what the molecules in ordinary glass are really doing when they appear to do nothing.

Ramos’s amber measurements are part of a surge of interest in ideal glass. In the past few years, new methods of making glass and simulating it on computers have led to unexpected progress. Major clues have emerged about the nature of ideal glass and its connection to ordinary glass. “These studies provide renewed support for the hypothesis of the existence of an ideal-glass state,” said Ludovic Berthier, a physicist at the University of Montpellier who was centrally involved in the recent computer simulations.

But the emerging picture of ideal glass only makes sense if we set aside one piece of evidence. “Indeed,” Berthier said, “the amber work stands out as difficult to rationalize.”... (MORE)
Secular Sanity Offline
I know we have a notepad on our control panel but it would be nice to have a way to add threads to a reading list (a little read-later button). You're always posting interesting topics. 

Thanks, C C!
C C Offline
(Mar 16, 2020 01:19 AM)Secular Sanity Wrote: I know we have a notepad on our control panel but it would be nice to have a way to add threads to a reading list (a little read-later button).

Glad you mentioned it. I've got a multi-notepad extension installed on Firefox, which causes me to forget about the one in User CP.

It's ridiculous how backward or unfamiliar I am with certain features of a forum because I fiddled around with some "dillybob" in the deep mists of the past and didn't like what happened and never bothered again. Doesn't help to have scores of add-ons installed on my browser further insulating or distracting from me what should be routine knowledge about what a discussion board itself provides.

Ages ago I activated the native "notify me about new threads and new posts to subscribed threads" or whatever that is (somewhere, called something). But quickly got overwhelmed slash super-annoyed by the alerts. Went back to manually keeping track of changes.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Could a hidden variable explain the weirdness of quantum physics? C C 0 69 Feb 2, 2023 06:50 PM
Last Post: C C
  A meta-theory of physics could explain life, the universe, computation, & more C C 4 338 Aug 27, 2020 03:02 AM
Last Post: Syne
  Why is glass rigid? Signs of its secret structure emerge. C C 0 137 Jul 10, 2020 07:47 PM
  Q chemistry simulations offer hope of ‘solving chemistry’ + Grasping Q entanglement C C 0 254 Apr 25, 2020 04:12 PM
  Round universe would be bad news for physicists + Vampires & chemistry (video) C C 0 243 Nov 6, 2019 11:51 PM
  Has reductionism run its course? + 'Quantum foam' may explain away huge cosmic energy C C 1 278 Oct 7, 2019 09:15 PM
Last Post: Magical Realist
  Can a physics of panic explain the motions of the crowd? C C 0 310 Dec 10, 2018 07:38 PM
  Using constructor theory to explain free will C C 0 350 Aug 3, 2018 03:39 AM
  Can Neutrinos Explain Where all the Antimatter Went? C C 0 331 Feb 28, 2018 05:43 AM
  Glass where Cracks Heal Themselves Yazata 2 436 Jan 5, 2018 10:55 PM
Last Post: Zinjanthropos