Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

The ''rising and setting'' of the sun

Lightbulb  Leigha Offline
*Posted this on SF, and while I may receive the answers to my questions there, thought others might like to chime in, here.

As we know, the sun stays in its position always at the center of the solar system. It appears to rise because of the Earth's rotation on its axis.

So, I have two questions on this. Why do parts of Alaska go dark for nearly 70 days per year? And same for Norway, but in reverse - for about a period of approximately 76 days (May to late July), the sun never seems to "set." Bright sunlight can appear for nearly 20 hours, daily, during those months! How does the Earth make this ''shift'' then to Alaska and Norway experiencing ''even'' amounts of sunlight, as other parts of the world?

ETA - I received the answers that I was looking for, you can see them on SF.

If you have anything to add though, feel free. Smile
Zinjanthropos Offline
What? You don't believe Christian Standard Bible (from Ecclesiastes)

Quote:The sun rises and the sun sets; panting, it returns to the place where it rises.

The Sun gets a little weary during the day yet it still finds the strength to get over to its launch site.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Article Emotional distress is rising worldwide. Why? C C 0 68 Apr 4, 2023 09:54 PM
Last Post: C C
  We can survive on mushrooms, rats, & insects after a sun-blocking apocalypse C C 2 90 Mar 6, 2023 03:56 AM
Last Post: confused2
  Will rising temperatures make rice too toxic? C C 0 253 Dec 10, 2020 07:15 PM
Last Post: C C