Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

The Placebo Effect

Wink  Leigha Offline
So, I had a headache earlier this morning, and decided to take two ibuprofen tablets. I placed them on my kitchen counter, then must have become distracted. In about an hour, I felt better; headache was gone. Walking back into the kitchen, I notice the two tablets on the counter. What?  Big Grin

I decided to do a little research afterwards on ''the placebo effect.'' It has a lot more depth to it, but maybe that's what happened this morning.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/mental-he...ebo-effect
Zinjanthropos Offline
Not sure if related but when I played sports, any pain I felt from a nagging injury seemed to disappear when myself or my team did something successful, like score a goal. Euphoria seems to counter some pain. I can think of other human actions that lessen or erase pain, even if only temporary. For instance nice warm hugs and well, you know.
Leigha Offline
(Jan 7, 2020 07:10 PM)Zinjanthropos Wrote: Not sure if related but when I played sports, any pain I felt from a nagging injury seemed to disappear when myself or my team did something successful, like score a goal. Euphoria seems to counter some pain. I can think of other human actions that lessen or erase pain, even if only temporary. For instance nice warm hugs and well, you know.

I have experienced that too - I might have a headache or something and after a long run or gym workout, it just sort of vanishes away. And yea, er... "other things" can take one's mind off of pain. lol I've always found it funny that some people use the excuse that they have a headache to avoid sex, when it can actually alleviate one.   Rolleyes
Syne Offline
I haven't taken any kind of pain-reliever for decades. I learned a trick to intentionally replicate the physiological behavior of distraction (specifically, what people naturally do in new environments).

So like hunger and sleepiness can be short-circuited when you're distracted/engaged, I wouldn't put much stock in the tablets themselves being the key to that placebo effect. An engaged mind just forgets to pay attention to pain. But if you take pain-relievers often, there could be some anticipatory effect.
RainbowUnicorn Offline
(Jan 7, 2020 03:01 PM)Leigha Wrote: So, I had a headache earlier this morning, and decided to take two ibuprofen tablets. I placed them on my kitchen counter, then must have become distracted. In about an hour, I felt better; headache was gone. Walking back into the kitchen, I notice the two tablets on the counter. What?  Big Grin

I decided to do a little research afterwards on ''the placebo effect.'' It has a lot more depth to it, but maybe that's what happened this morning.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/mental-he...ebo-effect

i could talk for hours on this subject as i have studied it for many years.
Leigha Offline
@Syne, teach us your technique Smile

@Rainbow - do tell. I’d be interested.
RainbowUnicorn Offline
(Jan 7, 2020 07:10 PM)Zinjanthropos Wrote: Not sure if related but when I played sports, any pain I felt from a nagging injury seemed to disappear when myself or my team did something successful, like score a goal. Euphoria seems to counter some pain. I can think of other human actions that lessen or erase pain, even if only temporary. For instance nice warm hugs and well, you know.
Quote:nice warm hugs

clothing optional aerobic hugs ? Tongue

Laigh
what is the 4th largest product in the world ?
oil
sex
money
... pain killers

i was going to pull some google results numbers in dollar values of global sales for you to be mind boggled at but i see they have deliberately buried the data in the search engines.

well ...
not surprising considering the USA opioid liable case against a pharmco creator.

that poorly managed shit-show of a pretense to care by state puppets has probably smashed all ability to access real data around these types of things now.

meanwhile they(the usa government) continue to close and defund womens reproductive health clinics and are deliberately causing a massive increase in STI's & STD's by defunding many health programs

STI's and STD's in the usa are running rampant and out of control because of government de-funding health clinics

and they have the moral corruption to chase pharmco's for penalty payments to make their own political egos look good.
while they attempt to destroy the affordable care act
assholes !
as close to evil as you can get without needing a proctological exam
Leigha Offline
Thanks ^

I used to get migraines, not so much over the past couple of years when I changed my diet to a more organic, paleo type - and just stay consistent with work outs. If I'm sleep deprived or drink wine, they creep up. So, I don't drink wine too often. I think it's the tannins?

I'll try that method you recommend though, if I'm struck with a headache.

(Jan 8, 2020 01:37 AM)RainbowUnicorn Wrote:
Quote:nice warm hugs

clothing optional aerobic hugs ? Tongue
lol  Blush

Quote:Laigh
^ is this directed at me? lol

Quote:what is the 4th largest product in the world ?
oil
sex
money
... pain killers
In that order, eh? 

Quote:i was going to pull some google results numbers in dollar values of global sales for you to be mind boggled at but i see they have deliberately buried the data in the search engines.

well ...
not surprising considering the USA opioid liable case against a pharmco creator.

that poorly managed shit-show of a pretense to care by state puppets has probably smashed all ability to access real data around these types of things now.

meanwhile they(the usa government) continue to close and defund womens reproductive health clinics and are deliberately causing a massive increase in STI's & STD's by defunding many health programs

STI's and STD's in the usa are running rampant and out of control because of government de-funding health clinics

and they have the moral corruption to chase pharmco's for penalty payments to make their own political egos look good.
while they attempt to destroy the affordable care act
assholes ! 
as close to evil as you can get without needing a proctological exam

There is so much that is wrong with the US healthcare system, but I don't want to see private healthcare (at least the option) disappear, or the option to receive it through one's employer. I think that is what pretty much sealed Warren's fate, and why she started to poll poorly in the campaign race. She simply couldn't explain how universal healthcare/medicare for all was going to be funded.
Zinjanthropos Offline
(Jan 7, 2020 08:00 PM)Leigha Wrote: lol I've always found it funny that some people use the excuse that they have a headache to avoid sex, when it can actually alleviate one.   Rolleyes

Been a long time since I used that line.  Wink  Can't remember whether it met with instant  success but I do recall IOU's, all in fun. Just thinking back on good times is enough to brighten the mood...lol