Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

In science, has evidence given way to ideology?

C C Offline
http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/i...story.html

EXCERPT: Science historian Alice Dreger [...] claims that her positions are all politically incorrect and therefore suspect to the scientific mainstream, as Galileo’s were to the church. Her larger theme is that, in science, evidence has given way to ideology and that scientists bold enough to buck the status quo are all too often marginalized or even banished. She sees herself as a crusader for intellectual freedom, following the science wherever it leads, as opposed to what she describes as the standard academic practice of stifling uncomfortable truths. She writes, “Only people like us, with insane amounts of privilege, could ever think it was a good idea to decide what is right before we even know what is true.” This is an excellent point, of course, but one that might have been better supported with examples other than those she happened to light upon. For, in her defense of what she calls “evidence based activism,” she sometimes appears not so much politically incorrect as simply incorrect.

[...] Certainly, scholars are driven toward a “regression to the safe,” as Dreger puts it, though that is not, as she implies, particularly new in the Internet age. Since Galileo’s time, thinkers have relied on the patronage of others to fund their work, and that patronage — be it from government, business interests or individuals — generally extracts a price. [...] In the case of science today, despite Dreger’s argument, that pressure comes less as a consequence of political correctness than of economic forces that have shifted academic and scientific institutions to a corporate model not designed to prioritize public interests. In the academy, it is money far more than ideology that rules the day — which explains how corporate funding allows Willie Soon, a rampant climate-change denier, to maintain his position at the Harvard Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics....
Yazata Offline
Quote:In science, has evidence given way to ideology?

I'd say 'yes', in the so-called "social sciences" particularly. (I don't really think of them as sciences at all.) Many professors in those fields don't even try to hide their biases any longer and boast of how they try to introduce politics into all of their classroom discussions. Academic publishers and journals publish books and articles on how to best promote 'social change' in classrooms. Self-righteous professors imagine themselves as the 'good-guys' in a good-guys vs. bad-guys struggle and believe that politicizing their classes is the moral thing to do.

It's less prevalent in the 'hard' sciences, but even there, we are starting to see politics mixing with science. Perhaps the most blatant example is the current 'global warming' weirdness. There may or may not be good persuasive science underlying it. I'm in no position to know. But the whole subject has been turned into such a hugely politicized social-change cause and has acquired such an aggressive and judgmental activist agenda riding atop it, that the science has almost been obscured.

Laypeople like myself are just supposed to have faith the consensus of the scientific community. But it's hard to do that, when academic hiring and tenure decisions, along with access to the leading journals, have become dependent on having the 'correct' views on this issue. The Washington Post opinion piece that CC posted admits as much, when it expresses amazement that a global-warming "denier" (a telling perjorative that translates as "heretic") is allowed to maintain his academic position. The clear implication was that he should be fired for expressing unwelcome opinions.

That's why I'm very much a skeptic not only regarding global warming, but regarding much of what the academic world says these days. It isn't the science (assuming there is any) that I'm skeptical about, it's the ideology that increasingly surrounds and seemingly dominates it. I no longer have confidence that unbiased objective science is motivating the activist agenda, as opposed to a preexisting social agenda shaping the boundaries of what is and isn't acceptable "science".

I'm an atheist. If I can doubt God himself, I can certainly doubt the professors who purport to speak with the authority of God. Even the ones in white lab coats.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sellar's Myth of the Given: Against Foundationalism Magical Realist 1 82 Nov 4, 2023 11:16 PM
Last Post: C C
  Article The myth of value-free science + Science & ideology (philososphy of science) C C 0 72 May 22, 2023 02:10 PM
Last Post: C C
  (Philosophy of science videos) Laws of nature + After the end of evidence C C 8 1,194 Jan 8, 2019 08:55 PM
Last Post: Syne