Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Signal sent out to aliens on Superearth planet

Magical Realist Offline
https://www.businessinsider.com/humans-c...anidKw4tOc

"Humanity's first contact with aliens could be a breezy 24 years away. We sent a signal to an Earth-like planet that may host life - and we sent them a mixtape.

The project, called "Sónar Calling GJ 273b," is a team effort led by the Sónar music festival in collaboration with METI (Messaging to Extra-Terrestrial Intelligence) International and the Institute of Space Studies of Catalonia in Spain. Following is a transcript of the video.

On Oct. 16, 17, and 18 a team of musicians and scientists sent a message to aliens. They sent the message via radio waves and transmitted it 9 different times. This helps ensure that all the information reaches its destination

What's in the message?

Thirty-three musical pieces, each 10 seconds long, a tutorial on how humans keep time, and when we will be listening for a response.

The message is headed for a nearby exoplanet named GJ 273b. GJ 273b is what astronomers call a "Super Earth".

It's slightly more massive than Earth and is within its star's habitable zone. GJ 273b is a good candidate for alien life.

This is the first radio message of its kind designed for a direct response at a specific time. GJ 273b lives in another star system 12 light years away.

That means if intelligent life responds we could make first contact in just 24 years."
Syne Offline
Except that if such aliens could received radio signals they would have already received many they could have responded to.

IOW, this is a pipe dream.
Leigha Offline
I want to believe. lol If ''they'' reply, it would answer the repeated question - are we alone in the universe?

I don't believe we are, but to have proof that we aren't would be awesome. But, it might also put humans into a panic. Would be interesting if we ever find out that other humans live on other planets. Time will tell, MR. Smile
Magical Realist Offline
(Sep 2, 2019 08:01 PM)Leigha Wrote: I want to believe. lol If ''they'' reply, it would answer the repeated question - are we alone in the universe?

I don't believe we are, but to have proof that we aren't would be awesome. But, it might also put humans into a panic. Would be interesting if we ever find out that other humans live on other planets. Time will tell, MR. Smile

Syne knows they're not out there, so it must all be just a waste of time and money.
Syne Offline
I have zero evidence or reason to think other intelligent life is "out there". And there's no need to go into your dubious grasp on what qualifies as evidence, yet again, MR.
Leigha Offline
I find it harder to deny the possibility that other intelligent life may exist on other planets, than believing there could be. There’s always a possibility?
Syne Offline
(Sep 2, 2019 09:29 PM)Leigha Wrote: I find it harder to deny the possibility that other intelligent life may exist on other planets, than believing there could be. There’s always a possibility?

Humans have always been keen on imagining other human-like beings. Whether they attributed thunder to gods, bad fortune on fairies, or weird dreams or repressed abuse on aliens. Such beliefs have a long history. Considering we have equal evidence (none) of thunder gods, fairies, and aliens, it seems most likely that if other intelligent life exists, we will never know about it, due to the vastness of space and time.
Taormina Offline
Just a few thoughts on this topic:
(#) Given the chemical composition of the universe, of which we are a part, and the myriads of forms of life on our one planet, and given the countless billions of galaxies in the universe, each with hundreds of billions of stars, about 1 tenth of which are in the habitable zone (where the temperatures could conceivably support life as we know it), the chances of LIFE on other planets within our galaxy and/or on planets in other galaxies is, for all intents and purposes, 100%. [Note: Most folks on this forum probably know the Drake equation, which also had a probability of 100% and tried to estimate the number of such planets; but the initial question here is “whether” not “how many.” Furthermore, as the number of galaxies and their estimated number of stars and planets have about doubled since Drake first offered his equation, there can be no question that life exists “out there”.] Now on to the next thought…
(2) Regarding the location, to be realistic, one should realize that the mere fact that a planet exists within the habitable zone does not guarantee that life has evolved there.
(3) And one must also consider that intelligent life might not have evolved there.
(4) And then there is the time factor, i.e., if the planet in question, namely, GJ273b, does have conditions that could support life, there are three possibilities, i.e., (a) intelligent life has not yet evolved there, (b) intelligent life exists there now, or, © intelligent life evolved there once upon a time, but has since expired. Thus, the chances of intelligent life existing on GJ237b at the current point in time is only about 33% (all other things being equal).
(5) And there are a few additional concerns that has not yet been mentioned, namely, IF there is intelligent life on GJ237b, and IF they have developed radio equipment capable of receiving our signal and of sending a signal back; in addition to the music, was a request made in some language or languages to send us a reply, would they be able to understand what the signal means, would they understand that they should reply, and, if so, how much time would it take them to compose some sort of reply, and, very critically, would they want to reply to us (especially if they have been receiving and recording all the transmissions of violence that are pouring out into space from this planet every day?

Consequently, I think one should not be overly hopeful of receiving a reply from GJ237b.But if that actually happens, I do think it would be wonderful!
Then, of course, there is the concern raised by Leigha about how humans on this planet would react to such news. I have thoughts about that also, but will save them for another time.
Leigha Offline
There are a lot of ''if's'', for sure. As I've mentioned, I want to believe, but I can't help but wonder...if extraterrestrial life exists, why hasn't it already attempted to communicate with us?
Magical Realist Offline
I look forward to our making contact with aliens so far advanced from us they would seem to us like gods. Surely out of all the billions of galaxies out there some have reached this stage and have mastered interstellar travel if not teleportation and time travel. Perhaps they're already here. 40 foot tic tac anyone?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Signal from beginning of time? + Mars habitabillity was limited by its small size C C 0 77 Sep 21, 2021 04:59 AM
Last Post: C C
  Famous ET "Wow!" signal finally solved? + How deep was Mars' ocean? C C 0 425 Jun 6, 2017 03:49 AM
  Mysterious cosmic radio signal + Failed star may actually be a rogue planet C C 1 622 May 12, 2017 06:47 PM
Last Post: RainbowUnicorn
  Planet Nine Challenged: "There's Not One Planet, But Rather Several Beyond Pluto" C C 0 550 Jun 14, 2016 02:17 AM
  Space: A better way + SETI spies no signal + Little starlets + Distant dying RG giant C C 1 745 Nov 10, 2015 12:17 AM
Last Post: Magical Realist